Client requests no logo on cabinet. Should that bother me?

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Dave, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave Member

A client recently ordered a custom cabinet. The dimensions are not what I normally offer. No problem. I've got it all glued up and ready for tolex. He emails me today and says he wants no logo badge on the cabinet. I understand why, he wants it to look the way he wants, but it kind of bothers me. I agreed to it, but I'm not sure I will agree to that in the future.

I am not getting rich doing this. That logo badge is advertising and it's like my signature. I am proud of my cabinets. I am not angry or upset, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Do I just need to get over myself and be glad I sold a cabinet?

2. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce Supporting Member

i wouldnt worry about it. your cab will speak for itself.

that said, i think it would bother me too.

3. Dave

Dave Member

Yeah, and it will say "My name is...umm...?". :eek:

4. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

Tack a label of some kind on the inside, or pasted a "Made by____" label on the inside, with contact info. Any future owner who opens it, or changes the speaker will see who made the amp.

If the customer is thinking of re-branding the cab, you had better be ok with it.

5. altruistic8

altruistic8 Member

I think it would kind of bother me, but on the same note I have heard of several people removing logos from their gear anyways, so its kind of inevitable regardless of you selling it with or without a logo. I guess in the end if their happy with the product, they will most likely promote and speak highly of it, which in turn should ultimately give you more business.

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I get that as well. Some do not want my logo. I always put a small decal on the back of the neck regardless of headstock logo. Some even ask for the F company logo which is not too tasteful. I think that since you are willing to do as the customer wants, makes you a great business man in my book! Now, just spray paint your name on the side;).

7. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

what kind of custom design is it?

is it alot different than anything on the market?

8. Dave

Dave Member

My cabinets are somewhat unique, yes. He ordered his with dimensions that match a cab he already owns; 20.75" x 20" x 12". I have no idea how it will sound.

I like the way you think. :D

9. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Put a logo on the back panel so the grillcloth is plain but there is still some branding on the cabinet.

10. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Silver Supporting Member

I'd just put the logo on the back and be done with it...

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I second that. :)

12. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

+1.

13. jw112

jw112 Member

I too would not want a logo. But I would be ok with one on the inside. I just went to your site and your cabs look sweet!!!

And look at it this way. If it wasn't for him asking to leave off the badge i may have not ever found out about your cool 3d cabs!

14. gregc

gregc Member

Next time, charge EXTRA !

15. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

I'd tell him to bite it. Life's too short to put up with that crap. If he really likes your cabs, he'll come to terms with it (or remove it himself)... and where else is he gonna get a cab like yours?

16. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't take it as a slight at all. Some people like things to be clean, simple, understated. If you make this guy a happy customer, he's probably going to speak for you well over the long haul. That can be pretty powerful advertising. And your cabs have a unique enough design that they really do speak for themselves. There's your branding, right there.

17. JZG

JZG Member

I would certainly put a badge on the back or a label insidie, at a minimum. I think my first response would be to put a badge on the front, and if the customer chooses to remove it, so be it. It's certainly a fine line though...whatever it takes to satisfy your customer.

18. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Well, I would let it slide, and not be offended.
    But I would ask your customer why he requested that?
    Explain your curiosity, not that you're upset with the request.

Does he not like the logo?
    Does he think the logo will rattle?
    Does he just want to perfectly match his existing cab?

I think if you don't ask him, your mind will run wild and come up with something far worse that what is probably the actual reason.

All cabs I've seen/owned did have a sticker inside, regardless if there was a logo on the outside or not.

19. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Dave, your cabs are visually lovely.
    I'd be proud to lay my head(s) atop one.
    Great design.

And I'd leave the name on!

20. tim boehlert

tim boehlert Member

I wouldn't be offended at all. I think some of the other comments are definitely on the mark- if he likes it, he'll advertise it. His request shouldn't be all that unusual, as it seems to happen all the time. I'd have a problem if he took your logo and put it on someone else's work though.

i think that your work will stand up for itself, regardless if you 'signed' it or not. In the advertising business, or graphic arts, if you're paid for work, it's consider 'work-for-hire' and you have no right to brand it with your signature - you are simply paid for your work...

Also, be thankful that in this economy anything is selling, and I agree that this thread helps offset your work as well. Press, good or bad, is press... and the fact that we're all commenting is surely god for biz! Now I gotta go check out your cabs, the curiosity is killing me :)

Addendum: So, I checked out the site and cabs - AWESOME work! The design will speak for itself as is, logo or not IMO... congrats on a great design idea, and some great looking cabs!