Cliffs of Dover chord progression

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wiltel24, Feb 14, 2020.

1. wiltel24

wiltel24 Member

Anyone know the chord progression that EJ's COD uses? Checked a few of the tab sites, but not much there. Realize it mostly leads and riffs, but if you wanted to play rhythm guitar to it, what chords would you use?

2. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

3. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

This sounds like a bad idea.

It would require a brilliant guitar arrangement created from scratch along with the technical ability and musical sensibility to enhance the main parts. That’s no easy task. Particularly if you require tabs and can't hear the changes on your own.

I played it for years and the other guitarist (a Nashville cat with songwriting credits) would simply leave the stage although he was a monster player and quite adept at arranging and orchestrating music. The fact that he never considered adding rhythm guitar suggests it's probably best left alone.

Besides- have you asked the lead player if he WANTS rhythm guitar underneath?!?!
    Because bro... if I was playing Cliffs and someone strummed a G chord...

We'd have a "band meeting" in the parking lot on break; the type that involves the police....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Gig Young and A-Bone like this.
  4. will richardson

will richardson The Tennessee to California Connection Silver Supporting Member

The Head is a variation on Arpeggios. that is why there is not need for strumming.
    Avoid having 10 guitarist on stage like at a big Benefit Concert or Funeral. Musically it's a waste or distraction from the head at best. If however, you want to understand the progression that's fine just don't play it with others in a band situation.

A-Bone, wiltel24 and Telefunky like this.
  5. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Doesn’t he do some chord work in the clean sections? Is that the main progression or is it more like a chorus or bridge?

6. wiltel24

wiltel24 Member

Exactly, just wanted to know what chords and progression it's based around. Don't plan on playing it with anyone, just trying to study the structure of this song. Kind of the way I learn stuff.

7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Something you can do with a diatonic player like EJ is look at the melody/solos and just take note inventory.

rearrange the inversions so they stack on a staff and the changes will present themselves.

It’s kind of a fun exercise, and really takes the unorthodox fretboard into a more manageable visual. The notes/runs aren’t fast when they’re just sitting on a piece of paper. Get in there! Take it apart.

A little more clerical than musical, but fun.

Dasein and A-Bone like this.
  8. will richardson

will richardson The Tennessee to California Connection Silver Supporting Member

Actually I've seen 1 live version of EJ Playing chords only on one or two verses. But of course, he was not playing the head.

Bonus for me and my keyboard playing Brother: Got meet EJ at NAMM 2020 right before he did the Promo and Interview with Fender around 12pm on Friday, second day of NAMM. Was holding a production "Virginia", but unlock usual production Virginia's it had a 10 A flamed neck. He said he was touring with that particular one currently.

9. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

For potentially good jumping off point, check out the videos of EJ and Mike Stern doing it on their Eclectic tour from a couple of years ago. It should give you the proper 'chords' and their progression, which Stern played.

I'd think here that during rehearsals, Eric would easily have been able to outline the chords for Mike, so Mike could come up with voicings that complimented the melodies, probably with some fine tuning here and there. But I don't think either of those cats would have come up and settled with something that would have been sub-par by either of their high standards.

derekd likes this.