Cliffs of Dover / EJ Technique Help

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by fenderbender4, Oct 11, 2019.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I go back and forth on trying to nail Cliffs of Dover, especially the intro (Ah Via Musicom album version) and try and then kind of give up and go back to it.

For years I've been trying to do it with strict up/down alternate picking, no legato thinking it'd be feasible and a good pick technique exercise but it seems to: A. Slow me down immensely B. The "feel" isn't there.

Any insights and help on how to get this thing down? Does he do strict alternate picking? If not where/when do you get the economy picking and/or hammer-on's and pull-off's?

Thanks!

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

This might help in general:

and this: (worth watching it all but go to 5 mins if too impatient)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  3. Guitarist64

Guitarist64 Member

His " cracking the code" vids are pretty funny in that i remember living thru the 80's and being baffled by much of the guitar world.

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Yeah I hear you - lol good times

5. ieso

ieso Member

As a sidenote, "legato" is not hammer-ons and pull-offs ... It's not even a 'technique' so much as it concerns the full-value duration of notes

JohnSykes, desire machine and derekd like this.
  6. muzishun

muzishun Member

Also, a tremolo or "trem", as it's known, is actually a VIBRATO! :bonk

ieso likes this.
  7. ieso

ieso Member

We like to keep 'em guessing ! :D

derekd and muzishun like this.
  8. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

9. monty

monty Member

I found the book "play like Eric Johnson" helpful.

10. Wishing Wells

Wishing Wells Member

As evidenced by the Cracking the Code/Troy Grady stuff, EJ has a system. Downward pickslanting so that the upstrokes escape the strings ready for the next downstroke on adjacent strings. Mix that in with economy picking when necessary and it starts to make a lot of sense.

JohnSykes likes this.
  11. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, the fact that he is more economy picking than not is starting to make sense. For some reason (maybe an old lesson video) I believed him to be a solely alternate picking guitar player and no hammer-on's/pull-offs.

Beginning to think I'm wrong in this regard?

12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

And the vibrato on a Fender is a tremolo...

muzishun likes this.
  13. ieso

ieso Member

He uses hammer-ons and pull-offs

14. ieso

ieso Member

EJ uses a wide variety of picking styles including circle picking, bounce picking, hybrid, economy, etc. He probably uses "slanting" when he wants to play in slow motion. ;)

Wishing Wells likes this.
  15. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

With regards to EJ and economy picking, I remember having a big "A ha!" moment after watching Frank Gambale's old "Monster Licks" REH video back in the late 80s and realizing how it could be applied to EJ's pentatonics....mini-sweeps as it were, like Ian Thornley is fond of. Wasn't called economy picking AFAIK back then but I remember thinking, "How could I just realize this now?"

ieso likes this.
  16. ieso

ieso Member

A lifetime of those moments :D

17. Wishing Wells

Wishing Wells Member

Only on the topic of his high speed stuff, he seems to stay pretty true to the downward pickslanting system. I think he used to mostly pick everything in the early days and started using more legato in his live performances as time went on at least from what I've seen.

I think that first video with several EJ style licks is a really good representation of his style back in the day.

18. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

So...fwiw...
    Whatever one wants to call it be it pick slanting or whatever it comes down to an obvious thing... How to get from string to string efficiently.
    If you tilt your forearm to the right (downward pick slanting) obviously you get air on upstrokes and it facilitates serious on crossing to the higher string.
    Now if you going to a power string the obvious choices are rotating your forearm the other way (for alternate or sweep to lower string) or don't and then either sweep from the lowest note to the higher string or use a hammer on from nowhere on the lower string.

20. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

In Troy Grady's work, Eric Johnson and Yngwie Malmsteen are the canonical examples of downward pick slanters. They change strings only on upstrokes (or downward sweeps). This means that they're almost always playing patterns with even numbers of notes on a string, and adjusting fingering/positions to accommodate that restriction. And Eric Johnson plays mostly pentatonics, so it's often just two notes per string. Once you get the pick direction thing, it's easy to replicate the patterns they play. It's what Troy (and psychologists) call "chunking", where seemingly long, flowing lines are really just chains of small, discrete patterns. Learn their patterns, which is tied to their pick direction, and you learn their sound.

There are also upward pick slanters (like John McLaughlin), who have the same even-numbers limitation, but switch strings on downstrokes rather than upstrokes. And there are two-way pick slanters, who change their slant direction on the fly in order to switch strings on either upstrokes or downstrokes. And there are crosspickers (especially in bluegrass), who move the pick in a curved arc so it's free from the plane of strings at both the beginning and the end of each stroke. He's doing some really fascinating work studying pick motion, very scientific.

But as for Eric Johnson... if you want to play his songs and patterns, you pretty much have to get into his downward pick slanting, or it's going to be physically hard to do.