"climb" before wah in "Sweet child of mine"

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by kingsxman, Oct 19, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

New band I'm in is learning sweet child of mine. I've got it pretty well down except for that climb Slash does just before he goes to the wah in his solo. (where he switches from the neck to the bridge pickup).
    Anyone have some tabs for that? I cant seem to find any that make sense.

2. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

I had to transcribe it myself as even the official tabs are way off base, and when ive seen Slash play it himself its also different to the tabs. Further reason to not trust tabs! Only took a short while to slow it down and figure it out.

3. kingsxman

Yeah, I usually give up and do exactly what your talking about. I've got Amazing Slow downer but this one just sounds so "bad" its hard to hear the notes.

4. henry_the_horse

henry_the_horse Member

It is as difficult to Slash as it is to everybody else. The original recording run is an edit piece joining the first part of the solo and the wha part. Live he plays something easier. The notes are from the fifth mode of the harmonic E minor scale, AKA phrygian dominant scale.
    Check Youtube, as there are countless lessons with renditions of this solo and song.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Thank oyu Henry, I'm glad it's not just me that has trouble with this, although I've almost got it licked. Getting the wah hits in it timed correctly is another thing too.
    I learnt it from a guitar mag originally, but then when i got teh tab book,it was very different so now I play that.
    Yeah, I find that hard, but last night I must have been on fire cos I played it pretty well. Now, I just have to find consistency with it.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I teach that to some of my students lately. It's gotten popular with due to those video games so the kids like it and they use a backing track from a Guitar World mag. Not a hard lick to play at all, but it is a little hard to decipher with the heavy wah. I have a transcription and I made only a few changes, starts in the 7th position and climbs up the B and E strings using a little harmonic minor.

There's some live versions of it on youtube and Slash plays it with no wah, much easier to figure out from those.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  7. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I had to learn this one too.I tend to switch the wah on at the start of the climb to give myself less to do as I'm climbing up to the bend.Its a hard one to do early in the set,but you've got to remember that a) Slash didnt play it the same way all the time and b) 99% of the audience wont know if you drop the odd note(the ones that will are the musos at the back with their arms folded!).It does start in the 7th position,and utilises the harmonic minor,as stated here.The 12th fret(b),13th fret(c) on the b string,and the 11th fret(e flat),12th fret(e) on the top(high) e string are the ones that give it that spice.Its a crowd pleaser thats for sure.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Do a youtube search for sweet child 1988, and the lick is there plain as day. No wah. It's an easy lick to figure out and play (c'mon it's just Slash!) from that. and it's still fresh in his head because of the time.

9. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Original-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oobDQ0vdm8M

Slightly different-(the climb part-not so much defined h/minor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZubjXW6wHw

And again slightly different-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3NNvl76HnQ

As I said,you dont have to play it identically every time.Its nice to take the key elements and SOMETIMES jam it a bit,once you've learned the original of course.Not a cop out at all.

10. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

You edited your previous post I see! In a live context there are lots of things that go unnoticed,so starting the wah early,or not copping the record exactly everytime will go straight over the average drunken audience member.It becomes really boring to just play it the same way over and over,especially if like me you play it five times a week....

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I'm all for improv and adding some spice, but only if I can do it right first. To me, it'd be a cop out, if I say oh it's a bunch of drunks, or Slash doesn't play it the same, so ... First, I need to play it like the original, perfect. Then I can add stuff when I feel like it, but most people have a pretty good ear and IME aren't just a bunch of drunks at clubs, but I know I'm my own worst critic not anyone else.

Oh and if you play it like Slash does live, you'd probably be out of the band. He wasn't good live. But he wrote some great stuff.

12. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

You didnt really read my post where I said learn the original first.The version I do differs every night,but its recognisable and not offensive to the original,which I can play if I want too.I find that sometimes the drums might be different,the mix might be not quite right etc,and on those occasions you may start a fraction late/early,so its important to know the notes around the solo just in case you get pushed off the edge so to speak.Its also fun to play on it a bit.I have played in a covers/functions band for 12 years now,and whilst there are some people that come up and say,'you nailed that solo' etc,most are there for the beer and the women,not to judge the music.As long as the band is professional and of a decent standard,then things will go completely unnoticed.I played one gig where we were asked to do Robbie Williams-Angels.We dont play it,but the singer had a copy on his hardrive,played the original,and we mimed.No-one in the whole room noticed.In fact one guy complemented me on the solo,when the solo is played with a slide,which I didnt have.Thats one gig of many.Believe me,beer+women+atmosphere comes before musical scrutiny in any similar scenario.And that doesnt mean we take our job any less seriously.It becomes frustrating that all the effort gets unnoticed.

Anyway,this is not what the post was about,so I advise to do what I did;watch youtube,pick out the notes;get it as close as you physically can;learn the scales used(if you must);then just play it over and over.It will then become second nature,and you will naturally improvise here and there.

13. kingsxman

\

The last one gives me hope I can find something to play. It sounds easier. None of them give you a good look at the fretboard.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah I must've missed that wink. It's cool.

15. gennation

gennation Member

16. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

Man, you even look like Slash!!! Great sound mate.