Clinch FX EP-Pre Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iggs, Jul 31, 2008.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Just got mine the other day and finally had a chance to try it out.

Hhhmmm ... how should I put this ... WOW!!!

It's difficult to describe what it does. What others were saying is pretty spot on ... tighter low end, more sparkly highs, thicker mids, more harmonics. It does boost the signal a bit but not enough to really push the amp, it just makes everything sound "bigger".

It's what I always wanted BBE Sonic Maximizer to do ... EP-Pre does that but without the metallic and "processed" feel that BBE always had. EP-Pre just makes everything sound richer ... when you turn it off, it's like ... "where's my tone gone?".

Great, great pedal. Not an "effect" per-se but more of a "tone tool". I'm really, really happy I got one.

Plus, Peter's great to deal with, prompt e-mail replies and updates on the build time.

All I have to add is ... :dude:dude:dude

2. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Thanks for the review. I am on the waiting list, sounds like just what I'm looking for.

3. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

I`m on the waiting list as well. Looking forward to hearing the pedal:AOK

4. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I have been using mine for about two weeks. Its incredible, I wont even try to describe it but it sounds like a Echoplex if you know what that is like.

5. gnugear

gnugear Member

Sounds great! I'm on the waiting list too. Can't wait to get it.

6. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

just got on the waitlist. what you said about the sonic stomp sold me.

7. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

The ClinchFX EP-PRE should be called the "clarity booster". Without this pedal I would not be happy at all with using overdrive pedals. If ever the term "lifting a blanket off of your tone" was true.....the EP-PRE has that effect on your tone when using effects with your amp. If you use effects this is a must have pedal.

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Any idea on the wait times? I got on the list on May 2nd.

9. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

I'm #7 on the second batch, hoping it's still available. I play to have the funds in a week or so. I know it was supposedly done late July.

So...where are the youtube clips? Someone needs to do one...or more!

10. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I've arranged to be the sole dealer for this pedal.You must prepay $499.99
    and wait time is approximately 3 years.:moon:Devil

Just couldn't help myself.:hide

11. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

I love this pedal BUT I wouldn't call it a "Clarity booster" at all. In fact it cuts some of the highs, and sorta adds something murky to the tone but in an AMAZING way. VERY subtle. I don't get that""lifting a blanket off of your tone" thing at all. In fact, what it adds isn't muddy but it is VERY analog sounding if that makes any difference.

12. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I thought a lot about this one. I have an echoplex ep-3, and just to see what this pedal would add to the mix, I hooked my echoplex into a TB loop and turned the echo off. Then switched back and forth between the enhanced echoplex tone and the regular tone. The difference is there and if the pedal works just like the echoplex it is cool. But the difference, while definately there, isn't all that dramatic. I suspect in a loud mix, even the player would be hard pressed to hear a difference (because the echoplex itself has never been THAT noticeable in a loud mix), but it would make a great studio tool. It is still tempting to get one and put it in front of my little MXR delay with the modulation and see just how much of the ep mojo I can steal away with, and who cares if anyone notices? I'll have fun!

13. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Catoogie,

If you were to place a blanket over your speaker cabinet, it sounds kind of muffled. By removing the blanket it sounds less muffled has better clarity. IMHO most overdrive pedals have always sounded a bit muffled...not exactly amp like. When I stack my EP-PRE with the OCD or LTD it makes them sound more amp like. I will also add that the muffling effect is mainly associated with bedroom volume playing. Most people say that you have to get this or that pedal at stage volume for it to shine. The EP-PRE allows my OCD and LTD to sound better at lower volumes. This IMHO only....I'm just glad I have this pedal!

14. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

I agree, for me the EP-PRE effect is more pronounced at lower volumes.

15. iggs

iggs Member

Just a quick update: played with EP-Pre a bit more and discovered that it makes a big difference with my fuzz pedals (placed after).

Not sure if it's the input impedance that somehow interacts with the output of the fuzz but it makes my PCE SuperNova and MJM Foxey Fuzz so much more open and richer sounding ... hard to put in words but it really makes them come alive. The difference is quite astounding.

16. openG

openG slidealicious Silver Supporting Member

^^^^
    What he said....

17. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

I concur 200% just got my pedal and...wow!!! It does what I wish my sonic stomp could do. Brings the tone forward. Clarity and boost. Not a huge boost but the clarity in and of itself brings your tone through in the mix and it has a frequency boost that is just desirable.

A firm believer in the EP-Pre great job Pete!

18. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

What is the concensus on where in the signal chain to put the Epi Pre?

gb

19. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

At the end, sitting on my amp with a very short patch cable into the amp.

20. iggs

iggs Member

I have mine right after the dirt boxes (all my filter and modulation stuff is before dirt) and before the tremolo and delay. I do have a Axess BS-2 buffer at the end though.