1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

ClinchFX EP-PRE w/ OneSpot?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Agitator, May 19, 2011.

1. Agitator

Agitator Member

Has anyone successfully powered a ClinchFX EP-PRE with a OneSpot?

I just got one of these, and noticed this in the manual:

The OneSpot has a max output of 1700mA. Has anyone used one successfully?

I have an email into ClinchFX but I don't know how early they check their email and I'm curious to see if anyone has actually tried it.

2. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Interesting. I haven't tried myself but I don't see why it would be a problem. The allotted amount of current that a power supply provides can exceed the draw of the pedal...whether it's just 20mA over or several thousand mA over. The only thing that shouldn't exceed (and if so you should proceed with caution) is the voltage. Have you tried it out yet? Or are you just taking precautionary measures first?

3. Agitator

Agitator Member

Haven't tried it out yet. The voltage is correct (the thing will take up to 12v, OneSpot is only 9, of course). I wouldn't think there would be a problem but am proceeding cautiously as I just got the pedal and don't want to fry it.

EDIT: Also, I'm hoping to try the thing out at practice tonight... I could put a battery in it, but they also recommend against running it off a battery! Ay Caramba! (Probably just because it would go through them fairly fast as an always-on pedal, but still, they don't make it easy to try this thing out if you want to follow all their advice to the letter!)

4. beej

beej Supporting Member

I've been using one with a OneSpot for ages. Zero problems.

5. Agitator

Agitator Member

Thanks. :aok

EDIT: Ms. Clinch confirmed that it is OK to run on a OneSpot.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  6. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Yes, it is OK to use a good regulated supply such as the OneSpot. The reason that we specify a maximum of 500mA is for the folks who ignore our recommendation to use a regulated supply and connect the pedal to an unregulated supply. The EP-PRE draws less than 5mA. A large unregulated supply capable of supplying 1000mA (1A) or more, will often put out way more than 15V if you draw only about 5mA from it. We have protection against this built in to our pedals, but it is not a good idea to have the power supply continually in protect mode.

A good battery will last ages with a draw of less than 5mA, but there are a couple of reasons that we do not recommend using a battery. The main issue is that it is easy to forget to change the battery and after it has dropped to under 8.5V, the pedal does not sound great.

BTW, Mandy is a highly qualified electronics technician. While we are travelling and she is not working at another job, she has taken a large amount of load from me by answering many emails about technical issues.

Peter.

7. Agitator

Agitator Member

Thanks for the clarification. Played my first gig with the pedal tonight and am still loving it.

8. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Good to hear that you like the EP-PRE