CLIP: 5150 green channel into g12t-75. (Hardwire CM2 - LP Studio)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thefyn, Jan 26, 2012.

1. thefyn

thefyn Member

Hey peeps. Here is a double tracked, standard tuned stock LP studio into a 5150:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/5150-1[/SOUNDCLOUD]

SM57 (direct center cone as close as I could get to speaker grills)
    G12t-75 celestion home made 4x12
    5150 green channel, bright switch enabled (all eq on 5, gain on 8 vol 2.5)
    Hardwire CM2 boost (7 5 5 3)
    Canare and Fender platinum cable

Bass direct via Sansamp DI pedal

Drums are Steven Slate samples, played by Slam Tracks studio drummer.

2. freaksho

freaksho Member

hey that sounds great, man. i don't know much about the 5150 but when i saw that a bright switch is engaged i was expecting a scooped mess & nasty can of bees, but not so. i think you set that amp up quite nicely. interesting that all eq's were on 5 - that's cool. i love when an amp is tuned just right for the tone you're after (i tend to interpret the middle knob position to be the the core voice of an amp, if there is such a thing). if i were make any criticism at all i might prefer a bit thicker middle, which would probably mean different speakers (the 75's have never been my favorite). but that's kinda nit picking. nice work!

3. thefyn

thefyn Member

Thanks!

I usually track 4 takes (this is two). To get the thicker sound, I plan on twisting the SM57 at an angle. It tends to give a lot more thump, at the expense of highs. Since the 2 tracks already have plenty, they should blend nice.

It sounds a bit bare bones at the moment.

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

i'm into bare personally - i like very dry recordings. i usually just wanna hear the instruments like they're right there in front of me (including vocals). sometimes maybe the tiniest bit of room ambiance to make it sound natural on headphones.

5. thefyn

thefyn Member

The 4x12 is recorded in an iso vocal booth so it is dead room wise.

I have a great plugs that help with it sounding roomy (Breverb) when I start to mix etc. It's also fun to TOTALLY overdo the room. Check out this one that has all instruments drenched:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10949975

Sounds like you are waiting in line with a band playing in the next room, haha.