Clip Added: 1966 Deluxe Reverb

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
It wont be a money pit. Road worthy from day one. Warrenty. Who cares if it gets dinged.

I been the vintage route.
Bought a museum peice 69 vibrolux for 1700 off the original owner. Still had the original rca tubes.
Anotheer 300 to get it gig worthy.

Now im afraid to take it to a gig. :)

Gotcha. how do you like it? What was the 300 for?

BootRoots

Silver Supporting Member
NC5wxFy.jpg

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
That amp is FIFTY Years Old.
FIFTY ...Years Old.
The Big Five Zero.
Fiddy.
Five Full Decades of Time have passed since it was manufactured.
Fifty years is a looong time.
Fifty years old...wowza that's a long time.
How 'new' could it be after Fifty Long Years?

But is it 50? :D

zenas

I'd guess for electrolytic replacement and service. Pretty much standard.
By the way many of the amps I've delt with, that needed work, came from or had been to reputable shops with techs on staff.
If they sold it for $1,700 I'd be willing to bet money all their tech did was plug it in and see if it worked. There you go "checked out by a tech and given a clean bill-O-health".

At any rate you did well !
In 2010 I bought a 67 BF Deluxe Reverb for $1,100 or $1,200, most I've ever spent on an amp. At the time I checked into complete kits and they were near a grand for loose parts and about worthless for resales. Unfortunately even though there are some great hand built clones you might find for less than $1,700, they don't say "Fender" and probably would bring less used than a DRRI, which isn't even in the same ballpark. Pretty good amp but it's a Homelite compared to an XP series Husqvarna, to put it in chainsaw terms. :)

woof*

Clone's never quite have the 'relaxed' tone of the originals.
Plus deluxe...easy. Recap, and good tubes. I'd get a NOS Rectifier. Leave the power tubes. RCA or GE pre, and enjoy the **** out of it.
lots of these 50 year old amps being gigged all the time.
This
And allow a few 100 to service it.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member

Usual. Most of it i could have did my self but chose not to "mess with it"

JJ Power tubes.
1 rec tube.
3 prong cord.
Remove death cap
Upgrade caps and electrolytes
Oil up the pots.

The preamp tubes i just recently did.

Its a great amp. Imo if i had to do it over again id get a clone. Add good speaker. External bias balance ports
And a loop

And i wouldn't have to worry about some drunk kicking into it or dropping a beer on it.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, this is a black-line drip edge amp, a BF amp chassis in a SF cab.

Should be a good amp. It looked like the blue caps are still there. If they were missing, I would opt out.

One side view in the photos looked like there may have been possibly water damage on the bottom. Maybe just a bad photo, the rest of the amp looks good.

Plan on putting another $200 in it to have it serviced and you may want to box the original speaker and install another (Alessandro etc.).

I’ve owned a mint early ‘68 drip edge black-line Vibrolux Reverb. All ‘67 spec’d components inside. Great amps.

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
That amp is FIFTY Years Old.
FIFTY ...Years Old.
The Big Five Zero.
Fiddy.
Five Full Decades of Time have passed since it was manufactured.
Fifty years is a looong time.
Fifty years old...wowza that's a long time.
How 'new' could it be after Fifty Long Years?

Unfortunate that you typed fifty so many times- it’s fifty one :D

Everything is stated as original except for power cord and the 2 rca jacks for Reverb/vibrato.

How legit is it, you ask?

I'd have to say that an output transformer dated January 1966 and a power transformer dated October 1967 is a wide time span.

I didn't see the choke or reverb driver date codes in that picture gallery, maybe I missed it, but I'd be curious what their dates are.

CBS did some weird things with Fender, and an output transformer being lost in the parts bin for nearly 2 years I suppose isn't impossible...

I'm not saying it isn't legitimate, but it does strike me as odd.

Drak

I was just having a little fun.
I have two of them myself, a '71 and a '73, tuned to perfection and both sound fabulous.

My only real point was that I see a lot of people buy old amps with the mental expectation of buying a new amp.
Tho most would not admit it, that they actually 'expect' this thing to 'be' a brand new amp.
And they'll return it in Bitterness if it's not coated with magic pixie dust when it arrives.
No matter what you buy, if it's FIFTY years old :eek: just be realistic about it with yourself.
That was it really.

I've probably bought and sold 40-50 old vintage combo and head amps over the years.
And I knew going in, every time, that I was buying an old amp where anything could happen.
So I was always prepared for anything, I never expected a magical amp to show up at my door.
I never overpaid, I always played a conservative hand in wheeling/dealing, because I knew the probabilities going in.
I don't think I ever returned an amp to anyone, ever.
I always played the hand that was dealt to me, and usually played it pretty well.
And I always had the ability to walk away and wait for another day if the deal wasn't satisfactory to me.
The 'Magic Pixie Dust' fallacy will lead people to not fend well for themselves sometimes because they believe in Magic.
They're great amps, but don't put imaginary baggage and expectations onto them and you'll do fine.

You see, I see people pay these crazy prices, expecting some 'perfect amplifier' to be dropped at their doorstep.
Then they get all kinds of pissed off when it has the smallest issue ...due to overblown pixie dust expectations.
And there is no such thing, so just keep it real, avoid the pixie dust, And Don't Overpay...that's all really.

bluesoul

Clone's never quite have the 'relaxed' tone of the originals.
Plus deluxe...easy. Recap, and good tubes. I'd get a NOS Rectifier. Leave the power tubes. RCA or GE pre, and enjoy the **** out of it.
lots of these 50 year old amps being gigged all the time.

:aok:aok:aok

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
How legit is it, you ask?

I'd have to say that an output transformer dated January 1966 and a power transformer dated October 1967 is a wide time span.

I didn't see the choke or reverb driver date codes in that picture gallery, maybe I missed it, but I'd be curious what their dates are.

CBS did some weird things with Fender, and an output transformer being lost in the parts bin for nearly 2 years I suppose isn't impossible...

I'm not saying it isn't legitimate, but it does strike me as odd.

Not unusual seeing ‘66 parts in an early ‘68 transition amp.

Last edited:

Red House

Gold Supporting Member
A Drip Edge with literally Blackface guts - it is worth $1,700!

Offer them $1,500 and take it from there.

If I were looking for a DE DR, I would have bought it immediately for asking price - it is that nice.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom