Clip-on guitar tuners- are there any that are worth buying?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Smedley, Jun 28, 2020.

1. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Yeah, it does go through batteries especially since I’m never really sure if it’s been turned off, but I’ve gotten too used to the sweetened tunings on the strobostomp.

2. Ringo

Ringo Supporting Member

D’Addario NS Micro, I have a couple and they work fine for me. I still have my Daddario chromatic pedal tuner and when I use it, the built in tuner in my PodGo.

3. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

The Polytone is great. The Reverb isn't bad though sometimes one will miss a string entirely but once the others are in tune, no big to ear it.

4. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Yes - my problem with Snarks is that ball joint - bad point of failure. Otherwise, they work well contrast-wise when the battery is fresh...

5. jalmer

jalmer Member

I have Snarks and the Reverb ones. All bought within a year of coming out so low intro prices.
    Snarks have mostly been great. Make sure you have some super glue nearby for breaks. By now some are cobbled together, i think I have 3 of an original 5 left of the light blue ones.
    Re: Reverb tuner - They were all $1/$2 I think I've had about 8, I have about three left. They are slower than snarks, a bit twitchy but get the job done at home. Glue/tape repair jobs don't last long.
    It's real nice having a tuner on each guitar, and the Snark is a clear winner.
    Only issue is as net head-stock tuner price has gone up a lot, and there's the issue of attrition, I'm reaching more for my hand-held tuners.
    Buy batteries for little $ on Amazon.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  6. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Love the PolyTune, especially with acoustic guitars. When I bought mine a few years go, it also came with a download for a plug-in that works with pretty much any DAW. Works just as well as my pedal PolyTune.

7. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Member

Plus one on Polytune. I use it for my acoustics. Polytune pedal for electrics.

8. Davy

Davy Member

I use the Peterson Stroboclip now and find the sweetened tunings indispensable on my acoustics. I think the ACU setting was based on James Taylor's and it's great if you use a capo a lot. It does eat batteries more than my Snarks did but it's a far better tuner IMO.

9. tochiro

tochiro Member

TC Polytune is out of stock everywhere in EU...

10. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

These are by far my favorite guitar invention ever.

[​IMG]

Super discrete, accurate enough and cheap enough to put one hidden under the bottom right headstock of every instrument I own.

I think if you're really passionate about tuning and accuracy, you should be using a pedal.

But the fact that I can take a guitar in a gig bag, grab a RAT and not worry about messing around with heavy pedalboards, yet another thing to plug into the wall has really made life simpler.

I REALLY don't get the guys that hate clip ons so much on here.

jamester and Rumzdizzle like this.
  11. Rumzdizzle

Rumzdizzle Member

The red Snarks are super solid but the Polytune is my go-to clip on. Also bought a few D'Dario micro tuner, they work fine for what they and gets pretty damn close to where you need to be. Picked up a Swiff branded clip-on, its garbage... barley recognizes anything unless its dead quite and you have to pick like a dick head to get it to recognize your not.

12. Rumzdizzle

Rumzdizzle Member

Yes there are the ones I have, cheap and come in two packs.

13. 74princeton

74princeton Member

I like the small D'addarios too. They get the job done with a small size. They had some with a screw mount that let you screw on in to one of your guitar tuners (machine heads) so it won't fall off or get lost. I put those on several of my guitars and love them. I don't see them for sale anymore now though.

Like some others have said, I prefer a good pedal tuner like the polytune when I'm using my pedal board. The problem arises when I go to a jam with my katana and don't have the board with me.

14. edward

edward Supporting Member

Super low profile ...slick! I still have Snarks laying around the practice room and various gigbags, but this unit looks nice and is priced similarly. Thanks for the pic!

Edward

15. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

These are the ones, much improved over the original design!

16. Henry Terry

Henry Terry Member

I do not like the Snark clip-on tuner. The rubber that covers the bottom disc grip keeps coming off and is very difficult to put back on. Also, the tuner keeps springing out of my hand when I open it to put on the headstock. Finally, it takes too long to stabilize for the tuning of each string. Before the Snark, I had another clip-on tuner whose brand I don't remember which also kept springing out of my hand when I went to put it on and which also took too long to stabilize.

As soon as I can get to Guitar Center (now that they are open), I am going to get a pedal tuner.

17. nowhere

nowhere Member

I bought one for my upright bass. I was playing regularly with a group at the time and needed to be able to tune in a noisy room and the Korg and Seiko tuners I already had left their microphones active even when they were plugged in to a cord and the extraneous noises always threw then off. I like it so much I've ended up using it on all my instruments.

18. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

Snarks here - very accurate to a strobe tuner I have.
    I set the readout part behind the head stock so not much is visible, not that it matters.

19. martyman

martyman Member

The Snarks are pretty good for me, but if you look hard at the clasp it snaps.

20. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Pedals for me. The glossy black Gibson headstock is very easy to scratch and I'm not clamping anything to mine....