Clip on tuners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Feb 4, 2012.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Whats the one to have??

2. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

not sure on the "one" but i use a intellitouch pt-10 clip on tuner as my main tuner.. haven't had any problems with it and i'm not worried about being in 100% tuning since if i bend or something i'm sure it will just go out of tune a little anyway.

3. GASaholic

GASaholic Member

The Peterson clip-on looks good

4. Dale

Dale Member

I have 4 Snarks. They work pretty well. A little brighter would be nice.

5. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeahp. It gets rave reviews.

But it's much more costly compared to the Snarks, which are pretty cheap. Quality's questionable though.

6. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Love my Snark. I went into the music store to buy one and was looking at the more pricey ones (can't remember which). When I asked the salesman (who I know... I'm a regular) to recommend one, he handed me the Snark. I was surprised to see it actually cost less than the others too. I use it live with my acoustic and around the house on everything. Quick and easy to read.

Peace,

7. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I have the Korg...frankly I think it sucks especially next to a pedal tuner of almost any kind. No matter how I mount it, it always favors a sharp reading and even when the string is allegedly in tune, the gtr seems to be sharp. Also, it just cant lock onto the low E string very well. Cant tune on the fly as you always have to activate it when you want to tune. Its ok at best for a reheasal situation but Id never use one on a gig. For less than the same price of a headstock tuner buy a decent plug in chromatic tuner especially if your gtr stays in tune well. You could even intonate with a decent regular tuner as well.

8. Taylor 339

Taylor 339 Member

:agree I just picked one of these up and am experiencing the same thing as you are.

9. TNO

TNO Member

The Snark is really good. Very bright display. The Planet Waves mini is compact enough to leave on the guitar all the time.

10. geodr

geodr Member

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

The Snark is fast, accurate, and $10... doesn't get much better than that.

12. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

13. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I got the Snark for $8 with the MF match and 10% price-beat policy and I have to play each string on the 12th fret harmonic to get an accurate reading (well, as accurate as it gets compared to my ST-200 Turbo Tuner). If I just pick an open string it always goes into the yellow which I find annoying.

14. lord preset

lord preset Member

I've tried three - the Crafter which works great - the Sabine, finicky tracking - and the Fishman which is a complete POS (won't track at all much of the time, inaccurate, spotty battery connection, etc)

There doen't seem to be much relationship between price and performance for these products.

15. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

16. Dale

Dale Member

Great! I just ordered 3 of these. If they are a nice as my others but brighter I am a happy ol' fart.

17. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

This thread enforces my fears...I am putting together a small grab and go gig board and was thinking I might leave a tuner off of it and just use a slip on but it looks like I was wrong!

What kind of accuracy do these things have?

Do they work if you use a capo?

18. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

19. Dale

Dale Member

My experience is that they are as good or better than most pedal tuners. They are not a Peterson or Turbo but they are easily better than say the popular Boss or my Planet Waves pedal. I do not see a need for the pedal tuner live anymore.