((CLIP)) Sludgy Guitar Direct - Hi-Octane into Hot Plate on load w/ XTL for cab sim

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by hal9000, Jul 27, 2006.

1. hal9000

hal9000 Member

I decided to play my Hi-Octane last night, but since I don’t have a decent cab at home and I needed to play while the kids were sleeping, I hooked up a silent recording rig. Using my Hot Plate set to load with the line-out driving an XTL for cab sims and a bit of delay on the solos which then goes direct to the line-in on my stock sound card. I monitored with my headphones from the soundcard’s output.

Here’s the setup:

[​IMG]

I’m playing an original tune here inspired by the heavy dark tones and harmonized solos I’ve been getting into lately. Rhythm is double-tracked using my H-1000’s bridge SD JB, and solos were using the neck SD ’59. I added a bit of EQ on the XTL’s 4-band parametric until it sounded right to me.

Here’s the clip: http://www.64graphics.com/clips/hal9000HiOctaneHeaviness.mp3

I’m really impressed with the kind of tones I was able to capture. There are tons of different cabs on the XTL, but I used the V30 sim since it closely matches what I use in real life. Also, I really like the tape-echo sim on the XTL which I used on the harmonized solo. I can see myself using the rig for recording and playing my other amps in near external silence, which is sweet.

The next step will be substitue my Behringer Ultra-G direct box with 4x12 cab sim in the place of the XTL to see how it compares.

2. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Yes, that sounded good for direct, for sure. Interesting layout. I'm curious about the Behringer direct box, so I'll be keeping an ear out for that post. Thanks for this one, too.
    :JAM

3. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks. What I would like to get eventually is, "That sounds great no matter how it was hooked up!" I don't know if that's possible going direct, but I'm going to try. It does sound very close to the room sound BTW.

I'll probably have the Ultra-G clips next week.

4. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

That is a huge sound for direct, cool playing too.......

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Cool. Is this Goth?

6. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks Sub-D! IMO, the huge sound comes from double-tracking the rhythm tones (hard left and right panned) and the harmony solos. The other part is tweaking the XTL's cab sims until it sounds right.

7. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks. I'm not really sure what genre this tune would fit into, but I've been listening to a lot of Corrosion of Conformity which lead me in this direction. I've always liked dark brooding guitar tones.

8. Carl Fischer

Carl Fischer Member

My bedroom setup will be very similiar to yours. Schecter c1>Peavey Penta>Ultimate Attenuator Line out>GT8> Xfi soundcard Hi Z>Guitar rig 2 cab simulation. I hope it sounds as good as that:JAM

9. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Ed D, Journo and a number of other guys on here get awesome sounds going direct - amps/modellers whatever. If if sounds good, it is good! :AOK

How did you do the setup pic thing? Looks cool :)

10. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks! :)
    I drew each item you see there from scratch using MS PowerPoint. I have a graphic design business on the side and rigs are one of the services I offer. I also did the gear page logo at the top of the page.

Here is my most recent rig:

[​IMG]

11. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks Carl. :) What are you using the GT-8 for if Guitar Rig 2 is for cab sim?

12. Carl Fischer

Carl Fischer Member

I like what it does to the tone of the gt8. Makes it less fizzy and digital sounding imo. Im sure some things will get tweaked when I get the Ua.Guitar rig being on of them.

13. lukeness

lukeness Member

Where do you get those pictures? The guitar, fx, amps etc etc.

14. hal9000

hal9000 Member

I draw them from scratch as part of my graphic design business. My site's still under construction, but you can request a quote from there if you need any work done: www.64graphics.com.