Clipped the bright cap on my AC15CC - YES!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theraygun, Jul 26, 2008.

1. theraygun

theraygun Member

Just recently got an AC15CC. I had an AC30CC a while back and it was way too loud for my needs, but I loved the tone. So, I picked up the 15 and almost immediately regretted it. Then, I decided to open it up and clip the bright cap. Best 10 minutes I ever spent. The amp sounds great now, much smoother, doesn't fizz out my pedals and the treble control is now usable. If you own any of the CC series, taking out that bright cap is a HUGE improvement. You don't even need a soldering iron, you can just clip it out.

2. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Did it to my AC30 about a month ago -- sounds good to me.

3. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Anyone know where that cap would be in the new AC15 Heritage?

I'd like to try removing it as well since I always have the cut control dialed in pretty extreme to remove high end.

4. droptopt

droptopt Silver Supporting Member

Where is it on an AC30CC? I'd like to try it too.

5. theraygun

theraygun Member

Check over at the Plexi Palace. Plenty of detail on that.

6. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

It is located underneath the TB volume, just to the left of ribbon wires. It is actually soldered to the PCB board that all your control knobs are soldered to. It's a long thin PCB board. They say you can 1. pull the amp out
    (if you know how to do it - basically take off the back plate and unscrew the four screws - 2 on each side - underneath that hold the amp to body - they are located by the outsides of the speakers)

2. Locate C13 (the bright cap in the spot mentioned before) and desolder it from the back side (you are looking at solders only -- so you don't see the cap) and push it through with push pins and it should fall out.

I took the thin PCB (the one with the all the pots attached remember) out via un bolting the pots from the faceplate and desoldered and clipped C13. If you get the board out you will actually see C13 next to the little cap that is next to the TB Volume pot and next to the wire ribbon.

I know this doesn't help (as I cannot explain it well) but Lyle Caldwell has a website devoted to AC30 mods -- I suggest you look at it. He does a better job of explaining it. YOu can find the site by searching AC30 cap mods or something like that. :)

7. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Other than changing tubes and speakers I have never worked on amps before. Do I need to drain the caps first to avoid being fried?:confused:

8. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I didn't drain the caps on my Ac15 before I clipped the bight cap, but I'm not the most cautious person in the world either. As long as you don't get close to the filter caps you'll be fine.

9. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I have an older british made AC15TBX...can you perform the same mod on these?