CLIPS! Carol Ann, Category 5, Two Rock side by side video.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
You say that like it's a bad thing
He references Cream.
40 years later we are listening to a slightly refined version of humbucker/Mashall with some EJ influenced blues licks.
Personally, I like it, but,..... forty years...hmmmm

ssdeluxe

guys.....he's a superb player yes.

but I'm with Dave, the sound is ok...........again, camcorder stuff does get homogenized, so its sort of pointless to judge.

here's my tiny peev on players who use delay and reverb like this: is it necessary ??? take it away and see if you miss anything......to me, it just fogs up the detail and is kinda a crutch...........his quality of sound and talent doesn't need extra STuff , I'd much rather here him play thru 1 amp, dry: I'd make it a 1968 100watt plexi .done. imho of course.

but as always ymmv...........

Sharkey

Here's a smokin Joe clip for ya:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1810286169

I hear nothing run-of-the-mill in that!!!:D

And another with a Strat:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1852812692

I'm not a die-hard fan or anything like that but I do like like his tone. I saw him in Raleigh last year at the Lincon theater and while his tone might not be for everyone, it was anything but average. I think a few opinions would change if they heard it live! YMMV

I do agree with ssdeluxe about the delay and verb though. I feel it would probably sound just as good without it but who am I to say. No record deals or world tours for me as of yet.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Carol-AnnAmps

This same clip is on Comcast on-demand right now in the Music, guitar lessons section. Sound is better on that.

Joes rig sounds killer when you are on stage next to it. The three basic tones are different.

The main drawback with this rig is that it requires a great FOH sound guy because he is being given four seperate mic sends and has to balance the amps correctly. The last time I saw Joe, this was clearly a problem. He had a different sound guy. I couldn't even recognise when he was using the amp I built !
The first time I saw him, it was perfect, he had his usual guy and the balance was exactly right.

mude

Silver Supporting Member
The main drawback with this rig is that it requires a great FOH sound guy because he is being given four seperate mic sends and has to balance the amps correctly. The last time I saw Joe, this was clearly a problem. He had a different sound guy. I couldn't even recognise when he was using the amp I built !
The first time I saw him, it was perfect, he had his usual guy and the balance was exactly right.
A good sound guy is certainly useful. In this case, a good roadie probably helps as well. Carrying and setting is a fair bit of work obviously.

My son walked in while I was watching and aksed if I ever used a bunch of amps at one time when I played out. Uhh.....no........maybe if someone else will do the carrying, I will give it a shot. For now, a Roland or a Powerblock as a backup is the only additional amp for me (and my plan relates to hoping I don't have to use them :) - although both can sound pretty good actually if necessary).

Evan.

dorianadams

That should say something about all the gear demos done with camcorders :cool: Joe is demonstrating the different amps he is using, and they all sound the friggin' same!
They do dound similar although I think some people are missing a large part of the point of the clip. That would be his discription of the amps and why he uses more than 1 amp etc.

ALAN ... Great point about the sound man.

Zelmo

I must have missed the "clean" tone part... :confused:

LOL!

Great player, for sure, but I just can't listen to that kind of playing -- or tone -- for too long.
That should say something about all the gear demos done with camcorders :cool: Joe is demonstrating the different amps he is using, and they all sound the friggin' same!
I dunno. Just sounds like run-of-the-mill, humbuckers-into-Marshall, to me.
These responses cracked me up! I thought it was just me thinking all this!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Bonnamassa and I was particularly impressed by his down-to-earth attitude, but that sure was a 'whole lotta not much different'.

dorianadams

Maybe the amps are actually more alike than they are different as well.Subtle differences of course as per his desription.Note his comment that he uses the amps overdrive only. No OD pedal at all.It's funny , no one blasts Ford for having a limited tone palette .....which he most certainly does.Seems like Joey could do a passable "Politician" clip with any of these amps.

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
Maybe the amps are actually more alike than they are different as well.Subtle differences of course as per his desription.Note his comment that he uses the amps overdrive only. No OD pedal at all.It's funny , no one blasts Ford for having a limited tone palette .....which he most certainly does.Seems like Joey could do a passable "Politician" clip with any of these amps.
Ford has a limited tonal palette...?!? :confused:

Yeah, maybe if all you've ever listened to is "Politician."

In concert, Ford might use more different tones in one song than young Joey might use in the entire night.

dorianadams

Ford has a limited tonal palette...?!? :confused:

Yeah, maybe if all you've ever listened to is "Politician."

In concert, Ford might use more different tones in one song than young Joey might use in the entire night.
Cool.Maybe but all the clips I hear around here sound pretty similar to me. And what is this FORD tone I keep hearing about then? I am sorry I mentioned RF . I really do not want to go there in this thread.

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
Cool.Maybe but all the clips O hear around here sound the same to me. Can you post some examples.
That's because they're the only ones that Tag posts. LOL! Of course, they're from 15 years ago, and unlike some artists, Robben's sound has evolved... and gotten much better, IMO.

Here are some video links on his site:

http://www.robbenford.com/RobbenFordMain.html

And you can also check out the sample clips from his various albums on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...-alias=aps&field-keywords=robben+ford&x=0&y=0

...or on iTunes:

www.itunes.com

dorianadams

trazan

Originally Posted by trazan
They do dound similar although I think some people are missing a large part of the point of the clip. That would be his discription of the amps and why he uses more than 1 amp etc.

ALAN ... Great point about the sound man.
Yeah, and I'm sure the amps sound quite different. I was just tryin' to point out that all these bedroom cam equipment demo's that pop up these days really says nothing about how the equipment sounds. They do say something about what kinda room they recorded in and what kinda limiter the cam has though :cool:

jharpersj

Gold Supporting Member
In person the sound is killer, I have been at a soundcheck with him and you can hear the difference in all the amps, keep in mind, camcorder then into computer speakers ...., hi ston erocks he is a great player

I have a delay on almost always, mixed very low, kinda like the Van Halen 1 thing, when you say thats a crutch does that mean you only use a clean amp with nothing else ? If you use distortion or overdrive of any kind then I am missing your point. Was the leslie a crutch for Robin Trower ? fuzz face a crutch for EJ or Hendrix ? phase 90 a cruct for Van Halen, chorus a crutch for Andy SUmmers ? looping devices a crutch for David Torn ? OK I'll stop now ....

guys.....he's a superb player yes.

but I'm with Dave, the sound is ok...........again, camcorder stuff does get homogenized, so its sort of pointless to judge.

here's my tiny peev on players who use delay and reverb like this: is it necessary ??? take it away and see if you miss anything......to me, it just fogs up the detail and is kinda a crutch...........his quality of sound and talent doesn't need extra STuff , I'd much rather here him play thru 1 amp, dry: I'd make it a 1968 100watt plexi .done. imho of course.

but as always ymmv...........

hasserl

you are missing the point. Listen to what he has to say about his setup and amps.Clip below has good sound and you can hear the different amps a bit better.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=6&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
Maybe you're missing my point. I listened to what he said about his setup, and I listened to the amps. It seems like much to do about nothing. He sets each of the amps up so they sound so similar that he might as well go with one amp and save the hassle. Besides that, after all is said and done the setup doesn't sound very good anyway, at least not in comparison to the other clip that was linked to. As in most cases, the KISS principal proves its value once again.

Also, I tried watching the second clip, but honestly, it builds so slowly I didn't stick with it past the first minute or so. I have work to do, sorry. What, does he switch amps at different points of the song that are audible? Maybe I'll check it out later.

Trending Topics