• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

CLIPS! Carol Ann, Category 5, Two Rock side by side video.

Geez, how good does the guy have to be for people to just say he's good? I like his take on the EJ style and tone. And if he wants to use 4 heads and 2 cabs, and doesn't have to carry them, more power to him. He's using the gear he feels he needs to get the tones he wants, so who cares.

I agree that each amp sounds the same in his clips, but in person the subtle nuances will come through, I have a feeling.

I NEEDS ME A CAROL ANN, fa sho. And a plexiglass shield.

dorianadams

Far, far better tone in that clip. The clip linked in the OP sounded lame in comparison. Four freakin amps with no appreciable difference between them and not very good tone from any of them.
Maybe you're missing my point. I listened to what he said about his setup, and I listened to the amps. It seems like much to do about nothing. He sets each of the amps up so they sound so similar that he might as well go with one amp and save the hassle. Besides that, after all is said and done the setup doesn't sound very good anyway, at least not in comparison to the other clip that was linked to. As in most cases, the KISS principal proves its value once again.

Also, I tried watching the second clip, but honestly, it builds so slowly I didn't stick with it past the first minute or so. I have work to do, sorry. What, does he switch amps at different points of the song that are audible? Maybe I'll check it out later.
seems like you have plenty of time to type smack. ;) Your first post was very negative and had only to do with the quality of the clip. Which misses the point.Your second post was negative as well.If you are not interested ( " It seems like much ado about nothing etc.)then why post? You can advanced to a point in the longer clip by simply clicking the progress bar farther in to the clip........
but you knew that. I posted this because I found it interesting and wanted to share it, not for someone to bust my balls about the recording quality of the f***ing clip.Once again I found his comments on the Plexi sheilds, auralex , no distortion pedals, how he feels a multi amp rig is needed.etc to be interesting.It was also nice to hear him identify the amps and what HE thinks they sound like. etc.It's all good

dorianadams

Geez, how good does the guy have to be for people to just say he's good? I like his take on the EJ style and tone. And if he wants to use 4 heads and 2 cabs, and doesn't have to carry them, more power to him. He's using the gear he feels he needs to get the tones he wants, so who cares.

I agree that each amp sounds the same in his clips, but in person the subtle nuances will come through, I have a feeling.

And it's all tax deductable for these guys!! PHONE RINGS: It's Joey's accountant asking him if he would rather give $4K to the IRS or Alan at Carol Ann

You can hear the amp changes much better in this clip http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=6&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

It's kinda funny the first solo sounds a bit like Frampton!!

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Great clip. That said, I think Joe would sound great w/ my old Peavey 200 watt solid state head from 1975!

hasserl

seems like you have plenty of time to type smack. ;) Your first post was very negative and had only to do with the quality of the clip. Which misses the point.Your second post was negative as well.If you are not interested ( " It seems like much ado about nothing etc.)then why post? You can advanced to a point in the longer clip by simply clicking the progress bar farther in to the clip........
but you knew that. I posted this because I found it interesting and wanted to share it, not for someone to bust my balls about the recording quality of the f***ing clip.Once again I found his comments on the Plexi sheilds, auralex , no distortion pedals, how he feels a multi amp rig is needed.etc to be interesting.It was also nice to hear him identify the amps and what HE thinks they sound like. etc.It's all good
Dude, I'm not talking about the recording quality, I'm talking about the tone of the amps being so effin similar, why don't you get that? AND I'm talking about the tone of his four amp setup not being as good as the tone in the second clip linked to. In that clip his tone was very good, it was a good song and a good performance. I'm not busting anyone's balls or talking smack, stop being so defensive. You post a clip and I'm commenting on it. IMO he's going to a lot of trouble for pretty bland tone and IMO he'd do himself a favor to go back to whatever he was using for that German TV show clip. Screw the four amp setup and the bland tone.

You thought it was interesting, well, I did too. I find it interesting that a guy would got to that trouble for those results. And as far as a clip comparing the various amps, it was pretty useless as that as they all sound pretty much the same. Which I don't believe is the result of crappy recording, but of the way he has them set up.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member

+1

There's a whole lot of negativity going on in this thread. First time I've seen this kind of junk at TGP. FYI, Bonamassa sounds nothing like EJ. I'm not sure anyone's actually listening. This is true without even taking into account that EJ's a fender guy and JB's currently a LP guy. Go see them both. Listen to some CD's. Whatever. They're both outstanding live musicians who sound no more alike than Satriani and Vai.

PS - I am a big fan of both of them.

PPS - For those who do like JB, try to find the CD "Bloodline". Was JB's early band w/ Miles Davis' son, Robby Kreiger's son, and Berry Oakley's son. JB was 16 or so at the time. Hard CD to find. Good guitar for a 16-year-old. :)

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
+1

There's a whole lot of negativity going on in this thread. First time I've seen this kind of junk at TGP. FYI, Bonamassa sounds nothing like EJ. I'm not sure anyone's actually listening. This is true without even taking into account that EJ's a fender guy and JB's currently a LP guy. Go see them both. Listen to some CD's. Whatever. They're both outstanding live musicians who sound no more alike than Satriani and Vai.

PS - I am a big fan of both of them.

PPS - For those who do like JB, try to find the CD "Bloodline". Was JB's early band w/ Miles Davis' son, Robby Kreiger's son, and Berry Oakley's son. JB was 16 or so at the time. Hard CD to find. Good guitar for a 16-year-old. :)
I remember seeing him at the Philly Guitar Show when he was, what, 14 or so...? Killer chops and just a really nice kid.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I remember seeing him at the Philly Guitar Show when he was, what, 14 or so...? Killer chops and just a really nice kid.
He opened for BB King's tour on his summer vacation after 5th or 6th grade (he was 11 or 12).

I recently arranged for him to stop by the high school in my town for a "Blues in the Schools" assembly. He was playing later that night about 15 miles away. He spent about an hour playing and lecturing on the blues, its history, etc. to about 400 music students. He also stayed for about an hour and a half answering questions and signing. He brought each student a blues sampler CD. All for free. I was a fan beforehand. A bigger fan now.

Carol-AnnAmps

+1 The guy is good, damn good. There seems to be a lot of hating going on around here lately.
It's such a shame. The reality is he is a really positive hard working talented guy with zero ego, who is extremely hospitable, a dream to deal with and has an awesome sense of humour.
He's also been at No1 on the blues charts for months to. He's doing something right. When someone does well, there will always be people finding faults and trying to discredit them.

dorianadams

It's such a shame. The reality is he is a really positive hard working talented guy with zero ego, who is extremely hospitable, a dream to deal with and has an awesome sense of humour.
He's also been at No1 on the blues charts for months to. He's doing something right. When someone does well, there will always be people finding faults and trying to discredit them.
I really love the classic rock covers he mixes in like "Had to Cry" "Just got Paid" etc. instead of all blues . Between Joey, David Grissom and EJ ( also very nice guys )you have some of my very favorite Tonehounds using your amps I must say Alan, speaking of doing something right!
For all the guys who did not dig the 4 amp rig you can check this out. They are all off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaBruqqH1Wo&feature=related

MuleHead

+1,000,000!!
I had the pleasure of seeing Joe last year in Wilmington, NC -- me and about 25 other people. He played his nuts off for a bunch of fat guys (me included) without hesitation or airs of any sort. The guy is slugging his guts out on the road for little reward and gets critiqued on his rig/talent by whom? Exactly -- Joe is a class act who freely gives advice to the rest of who can only aspire to his ability.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
By and large, I LOVE JB's phrasing, tone, the whole deal. I haven't heard all that much of his stuff, but I love his playing and sound. I guess that's because he sounds like 5 or 6 guys who came before him who I loved. I.e., he covers ground that most of us are VERY familiar with and he covers it really, really well.

That being said, I have to agree that I can hear only the tinniest, remotest difference between the amp sounds in the initial clip. They sound !@#$ing identical in terms of what they seem to accomplish.

What all of the clips I listened to TRULY demonstrate to me is how BADLY I wish I was in a position to use a multi-100W+ amp rig. But for most of us schmos, it just ain't gonna happen.

big mike

Cathode biased
By and large, I LOVE JB's phrasing, tone, the whole deal. I haven't heard all that much of his stuff, but I love his playing and sound. I guess that's because he sounds like 5 or 6 guys who came before him who I loved. I.e., he covers ground that most of us are VERY familiar with and he covers it really, really well.

That being said, I have to agree that I can hear only the tinniest, remotest difference between the amp sounds in the initial clip. They sound !@#$ing identical in terms of what they seem to accomplish.

What all of the clips I listened to TRULY demonstrate to me is how BADLY I wish I was in a position to use a multi-100W+ amp rig. But for most of us schmos, it just ain't gonna happen.
Yup. I've seen him a few times now, and I really have the feeling he's 'combining' tones at times.

It's pretty damn cool. Wish I could....(and have the roadies..)

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
This thread reminds me of Garcia and Grateful Dead threads in which some need to jump in and say they can't play or that they sound horrible, or this or that. Man, to each his or her own. You know, one mans ceiling is another man's floor kind of thing......

JB can play the hell out of a guitar. No.Doubt.ABout.It

It's just not very relaxing for me to listen to and it's just not my cup of tea. I can still appreciate his musicianship and can see what others like about him. He seems like a pretty cool guy with awesome chops.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom