CLIPS! Carol Ann, Category 5, Two Rock side by side video.

guitarvc

They all sound very similar to me. He is definitely getting EJ tones. The funny thing is that he is using a cheapo Boss Digital Delay pedal for his delay. He gets great results with it, and I can't find a useable setting on that pedal. Just goes to show you that a great player can make almost anything sound decent.

sabby

The most ironic thing about this thread is that It starts out with this super humble guy showing us his rigs and how he likes to run them, and then theres a pissing match. Theres a lot to learn from this thread, that has nothing to do with playing Guitar.
werd.

Sure, t5hat recording sounds pretty homogenous (for whatever reason) and I wish guitar players would play more songs and less guitar/gear. But his absent minded, worst-day playing would kill my best-day flashes, and the fun he's having is contagious. Rock on, Joe.

Plague Dog

It's no surprise the threaders with less than optimal reasoning skills would automatically jump to an EJ comparison. The lazy thinker will always try to pigeonhole and categorize anything they are not familiar with for easy reference. It therefore stands to reason they would then believe their inane assumption the new found subject is somehow a runner up to or imitation of their limited reference point marginalizing something they have no hope of understanding.

:crazyguy

Steve Dallas

As someone who has been to his sound checks several times and heard this exact demo while standing on the stage with him, I can tell you the recording is very, very flawed. There is a distinct difference between each of the amps, but you have to realize the Jubilee is on and cranked all the time, so it colors the tone of each of the other amps. That recording sounds nothing like the tone he gets in person. There are much better vids of Joe using his different amps. Specifically the North Sea Jazz Fest vids.

In fact, Joe uses the three amps to add color to his signature tone, which more or less comes from the Jubilee.

As for the EJ comparisons, it is clear that he has been studying some of EJ's phrasing and interval changes, but you only hear it in his noodling. He plays his own style in his shows and on his records.

Also, he is currently mixing a new live DVD which will be out shortly. That DVD should really shed some light on his actual tone. Or at least do so much better than a camcorder mic with the limiter set way too high.

dorianadams

Hopefully me saying that EJ does a great Hendrix thing will not be construed as negative toward Joey or a pissing contest.. He is great as well. I mentioned EJ because someone else was running him down and that is not what this thread was intended to do.They are very different and both great. I really appreciate all the positive comments in this thread. As for a few of the other posts? Well it is what it is I guess.

pharmx

I don't know if its just me. But I think they all sound way different.. the carol ann and the two rock mix sound the closest.. but my fav was definitly the carol ann. what an amp!!
I think they sound different too. I can hear a similar vibe across all the amps, but to me there are definitely subtle nuances in tone. Maybe it's all in my head...damn ears are playing tricks on me again!

ssdeluxe

In person the sound is killer, I have been at a soundcheck with him and you can hear the difference in all the amps, keep in mind, camcorder then into computer speakers ...., hi ston erocks he is a great player

I have a delay on almost always, mixed very low, kinda like the Van Halen 1 thing, when you say thats a crutch does that mean you only use a clean amp with nothing else ? If you use distortion or overdrive of any kind then I am missing your point. Was the leslie a crutch for Robin Trower ? fuzz face a crutch for EJ or Hendrix ? phase 90 a cruct for Van Halen, chorus a crutch for Andy SUmmers ? looping devices a crutch for David Torn ? OK I'll stop now ....
no, I didn't mean that in an antagonistic kind of way, I guess, personally it just urks me because its not necessary imho based on what I hear in a few of his tunes/clips, just giving my opinion, I work as a rec/mix/engineer and play on some records as well, not saying anything by this, only as background, and to me, its just not necessary when the reverb or delay is not saying anything, to me , its just sounds like every other overdriven guitar sound with some "sauce" on it, when no "sauce" is needed. just an opinion.

Carol-AnnAmps

They all sound very similar to me. He is definitely getting EJ tones. The funny thing is that he is using a cheapo Boss Digital Delay pedal for his delay. He gets great results with it, and I can't find a useable setting on that pedal. Just goes to show you that a great player can make almost anything sound decent.
Nothing wrong with a Boss Digital Delay. I use exactly the same.

Not to derail the thread, but this reminded me of an boutique overdrive pedal shootout we (myself Matte and Jim) did last week. My beat to hell $40 Boss SD-1 won !!

dorianadams

That is pretty wild. Boss actually does make real roadworthy stuff too.I mean Boss is Roland and Roland can make a nice delay and chorus as well.( use a TC myself but Roland is good too.) Did anyone note the comment Joey made on speaker choice? I thought that was very enlightening.No comments on it so far....... He said EVs so they did not have to replace the voice coils every week ..... HAD likes them.... Alan likes them .. I like them too.In a medium to high gain amp I want pre amp and power amp distortion working together and I want the speaker to mind it's own business for the most part and just reproduce the sound of the amp, and of course, not blow up.

GTRJohnny

In fact, Joe uses the three amps to add color to his signature tone, which more or less comes from the Jubilee.

As for the EJ comparisons, it is clear that he has been studying some of EJ's phrasing and interval changes, but you only hear it in his noodling. He plays his own style in his shows and on his records.

Also, he is currently mixing a new live DVD which will be out shortly. That DVD should really shed some light on his actual tone. Or at least do so much better than a camcorder mic with the limiter set way too high.
I'll be picking up the DVD for learning. Out of the original video posted here, the delay makes it hard to really hear. I did like Category 5 amp of his the best as a mix, because it was more of the that old Cream tone.

His playing is amazing on many of the videos I've seen, but like Eric Johnson, I wish he would play with less delay and effects. I like to hear the phrasing and touch more, and delay and compression kill that for me.

DoctorSpock

Joe B is doing some Great guitar playing these days!!...
For those of you who are interested, I've been doing a small 2 amp rig for some time now...I run a 2/12 cab with seperate speaker outs so only 1 cab is used...On top of that cab I run a Two Rock Jet head, and an Alessandro Redbone Special. I head into 1 speaker...The Two Rock is more of the Fender sound, and the Alessandro is more Marshall...The 2 together...run all the time...at equal volume...is just truly amazing...My Jetter and Moseferatu OD pedals have NEVER sounded better...AND the amps do not have to be loud to sound great....coming off my pedal board, a Boss Reverb, Chorus, and Delay are all run stereo as well...Incredible depth of sound...Some of the key to these tones are that the amps have different tones...Use dissimilar amps...I know a lot of us have more than 1 amp, so try using 2 sometime....It's pretty amazing...
What single 12 can handle the fire and brimstone of the redbone special? George recommends a 2x12 at absolute minimum ;)

Trending Topics