Clips, ideas and views of Fanes and clones there-of

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by solitaire, May 20, 2008.

1. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Feels like I'm 90% certain I will order some Fanish speakers from Weber tomorrow or the following days. Before that though I would like to hear some views of you and maybe some clips so I can make those 90% a full 100.

As for the clips: I'm sure David Gilmour and others using HiWatt amps will come up, so the more varying they are the better. I would like to get an idea about the versatility of the speakers asto how they respond to various sounds and degrees of distortion.

Cheers!

2. Rick0

Rick0 Member

I have a Fane loaded Two-Rock cab that I really love. They are probably my favorite speaker. I've got a number of clips at: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3820&alid=-1
    Just scroll down and look for the Two-Rock gain type clips, (TR CR Sig/E Pro, etc.). I think I used Fane AXA alnico 12's on all of them. Sorry that I don't have more examples with other types of amps. I haven't heard any of the clones, so I can't give any impressions on those.

[​IMG]

http://www.rickowens.4t.com/

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Isn't the Emi Tonker supposed to be modeled after Fane?

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

That's great, Rick! Thanx for sharing! This is pretty much what I'm looking for. Sweet but does claim its space, kind of. A tad on the bright side, but that I could probably dial out, right?

What kind of amp is the Two-Rock btw? Class A with 6L6s?

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I'm not sure. A few years ago I was looking into the Tonker thinking it did cleans great but don't think I ever heard a clip of it distorted.

Do you know any clip or other reference to it being used in a Fane-ish context?

6. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

In order to make myself clear on this point. I don't dislike Ricks tone. My pondering on the rolling back of trebles was if this could have an effect on this speaker's tone should I buy one.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The Fane 100w Alnico design is awesome - very unique. Sort of like a big, nasty Blue. Can't say I've thought much of Fane's other more recent offerings. Of course their original cast-frame designs were killer - sort of a more musical EV or Altec vibe used by Hiwatt, Frank Marino, etc. Look at the likes of Eminence, Weber or Scholz (sp?) for classic Fane-like designs.

8. Rick0

Rick0 Member

Fanes aren't overly bright. The high end can be dialed in or out to suit your taste. My amps are all 6L6 Class AB fixed bias.
    [​IMG]

http://www.rickowens.4t.com/

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I agree. I'm not a fan of the Celestion blue, but this Fane sort of has the things I like about the Blue without being a Blue.

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I use the Scholz Sugarcones. They don't suck. :)

11. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Cheers, mate! Are the Sugarcones used on the clips at Mypage?

12. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I have a pair of Jeff Swanson's "OEM" Fanes, a pair of Tonkers, and 4 Weber Thames. I play primarily Hiwatts, and of the 3, I like the Thames the best.

I have a pair of the Thames in my Swanson Hylight 2-12, and that's the cab I use the most. Cuts nicely, lots of bottom and works perfectly with the Hiwatt's EQ. My tone controls are not maxed either way, so I can adjust to any room...... This cab came with the OEM Fanes, and they were too dark for my tastes in this cab. On my 78 DR504 and Traynor YBA1, I had to have the treble maxed to get the tone I liked.

The Tonkers are in my SF Twin..... They kill the K-120s I had in there before..... Much warmer and more "balanced" than the old ones, which were pretty harsh and hard to dial in.... The JBLs sounded pretty bad overdriven. The Tonkers sound great......

I alternate the OEM Fanes and the other Thames in my open back Avatar 2-12...... I actually like the OEM Fanes in this cab, which tends to be brighter than my Swanson.

I don't have any good clips available, but it might be interesting to to an ABC with them.

13. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Interesting, to say the least. If you can find the time to tell me more about the Thames speakers I'd be most grateful. My only reference to this speaker is the description and the clip at the Weber homepage. I do like the rolled back parts of the clip, the more high gain stuff in true Hiwatt 6AC7 territory does not appeal to me and makes it difficult to hear the response of the actual speaker, I think.

Basically I'm after an increased sensitivity to the chirp of my pickups and the shimmer of the smooth distortion I'm going with. I'm sure my hero Eric Johnson would use this kind of speakers over his dead body, but then my pickups sound rather slick going the Greenback path so I reckon I need something more musculous.

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Hey Tripower455

Do you have the alinico or Ceramic fanes?

HOw do the tonkers sound with distortion?

I know that there is a George Lynch Emi. Speaker that is suppose to based on the Fanes

15. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

This I'd like to know too.

16. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. I play my Hiwatts at "classic rock" band level clean, and use dirt pedals for OD. I primarily play an historic Les Paul with humbuckers ('57 Classics). The webers have a beautiful ring to them clean and absolutely killer with OD or distortion......

Are you playing strats? I have played strats through my rig, and they sound killer with that big, fat, on the verge of OD sound....... I am not sure how much of that is the speakers or the amp. The Hiwatts set clean are like Fenders on steroids... Tons of harmonics and overtones.....

This thread got me to play around with my Avatar cab with the Swanson OEM Fanes in them today. They really sound awesome with my '78 DR504. I didn't like these speakers in my Swanson cab, but in the open back Avatar, they sing. Very chimey and balanced. I also spent a while with my '69 YBA-1 plugged into it, and that one kills as well. Very crunchy, tons of sustain, tight bass, smooth top, creamy mids...... I like them.....

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I play mostly distorted. The Tonker I had was annoyingly buzzy at low volumes but once you put a few watts into it it was big,fat,warm and LOUD! Its an extremely efficient speaker. Unfortunately the bedroom volume bussiness killed it for me. Might have just been a bad one. Bob

18. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

They are ceramic 75 watters that Jeff Swanson had Fane build for him. They are a little too dark in my Swanson 2-12 cab, but they sound great in my Avatar. Go figure...

The Tonkers sound pretty darn good with distortion. That was probably my biggest issue with the JBLs I had in my Twin. They sounded OK clean, but horrible cranked and with pretty much any pedal I tried (and I tried some good ones). The Tonkers are much warmer and more balanced and work real well with the Twin......

19. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I had 2 Fane AXA12s and they were great. I only replaced them because I prefer the clean tones of the Celestion Gold. I made some clips with the Fane and original Scholz in stereo, but I can't remember which side I panned the Fane to - I think it's the right side. It's the Slow Beck 1 & 2...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=187271

20. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Hey Tripower
    The weber thames you like are they alnico or ceramic
    Thanks