(( Clips )) – Mesa Content

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by hal9000, Sep 11, 2006.

1. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Last week, I finally got around to putting together some direct recordings of my F-100 using a Hot Plate and PODxt Live. I posted a thread about it here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1367180

The results were encouraging, but I was getting a lot of high end noise that wasn’t present in the signal from my amp, so I decided to run the PODxt Live as a USB audio device bypassing my sound card. WOW! What a difference. I wasn’t a believer until now. The sound card was adding everything to the sound I didn’t like, and with a straight USB connection, the recordings were pristine and as noise-free as I could hope for. Better, the recordings really sound like my amp does in the room which I really haven’t been able to capture with a mic.

Clip 1: F-100 Heavy Clip in Contour
    I used my Ravelle's bridge SD Custom for the rhythm parts and the neck SD '59 + Germania for the solo parts. My F-100 was set for 50 W on Contour through the 8 Ohm jack for a darker sound. The settings were the same for rhythm and lead. Again, this clip is intentionally dark.

The clip was recorded with this setup:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I’m using the USB capability of the XTL for recording and I’m also monitoring audio via my headphones which are plugged into the XTL. So, the XTL is acting as a sound card, and I’m only incurring a single A/D process which is much cleaner.

Clip 2 – F-100 Clip - Corrosion of Conformity - Infinte War
    This clip is with the same settings as above, but I used the Germania and the bridge SD Custom for both rhythm and lead parts to get the kind of tone that Corrosion of Conformity is using in the song Infinite War.

So, I hope you like the clips. I'm really excited to have a system in place for silent recording that rivals micing an amp.

2. adamquek

adamquek Member

Nice organic tone on that clip! I'm quite happy with my XT Live though, it's all I have at the moment and I use it for everything.

I like the harmonized guitar tones you have going on as well.

3. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks Adam! :)

I appreciate the comment on "Organic" tone, because to me, that's the hardest part of capturing an amp's tone with a direct rig.

I have a full backup based around my PODxt Live that performs excellently and I could use it without hesitation in any band I'd like to play in:

[​IMG]

4. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Adam, Do you know how to change the monitored input volume given an XTL USB setup, separately from the master volume? When I setup the XTL as the recording and monitoring device, it reduces the number of system volume controls.

EDIT: I've found that the PODxt Live has an instrument monitor level fader in its Windows controls which is what I was looking for.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Cool! Where did you insert a speaker emulator? The POD or a software Plugin?

I've done the same setup using a Smallbox Marshal (ca1971) into the HotPlate into my recording interface. I used one of the PlugIN cabinet emulators which did a pretty good job, but I think there may be a better plugin or solution.

6. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks. The XTL is my cab sim and FX processor. I used the Treadplate 4x12 model with Vintage 30s, close-miced with an on-axis SM-57. I prefer to have the cab sim and FX real-time so during monitoring, it sounds right.

The real trick to this setup is to skip my sound card. Since I'm going direct via USB it sounds much better and all my monitoring is also through the XTL.

7. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Nice tones dude, particularly liked clip 2...very bright but still meaty,
    if that makes sense........
    Plus your diagrams kick ass!

8. hal9000

hal9000 Member

Thanks twice! Clip 2 was done with the treble booster, which is why it has more high end and less bass than clip 1.

In case you're interested, this is my normal gig rig:

[​IMG]