CLIPS: My Super's speaker's were wired wrong!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JubileeMan 2555, Apr 5, 2007.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Long story, but I found out today my speakers in my 4x10 cab were wired backwards... All i had to do to make it right was to switch the neg and pos wire from teh input jack. But it definitely made the amp sound different!

Check the clips out

Listen to the Little wing Clips... one is labed in phase the other is out so you can tell the difference.

2. 57special

57special Member

nice clips, especially with the EV's, but I don't see any "out of phase" designation.

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

You might need to hit refresh

4. 57special

57special Member

right! In phase sounds clearer, with chimier highs.

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I'm surprised no one has commented. Out of phase speakers seems like something that is very easy to have happen... you guys ever run into this issue?

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

Out of phase speaker wiring seems to have been a Fender issue quite a bit. I remember reading an old thread about checking the phase of your old Fender amps so I decided to check my 1969 Twin. Lo and behold, it was out of phase.

7. conundrum

conundrum Member

Just to make things more difficult...

Some speakers are labeled incorrectly (JBL comes to mind)

If your amp has different amounts of gain stages on each channel, one channel will be in phase, the other will be out.

:munch

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I actually liked the old clips better :)

9. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

mine had two out when I checked it a while back!...

10. pv34pv3p

pv34pv3p Member

Make sure the rest of the band and the PA are in phase too...Check every new piece of gear when ya add to the mix...

Probably half if not more of the bar bands I see have some serious phasing issues...What really sucks is when your monitors are outa phase...

It could also explain why some people reject otherwise excellent gear...

pv34pv3p

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Out of phase with what? I always thought that it doesnt really matter if ALL the speakers are "out of phase". I mean if they are not out of phase with each other then what are they out of phase with?:confused: Bob

12. seventn

seventn Member

Was the mic moved between the "in" and "out" of phase recordings? Cause out of phase (when it is all 4 speakers that are out of phase) affects mainly the lower register of the sound.

Very nice sounds with the EV speakers. Makes me want to pickup a Super Reverb I've seen for sale localy for 850.00 CAD! Whould that be a good price?

Also, does owning the Super make you want to sell the Twin you have?

13. pv34pv3p

pv34pv3p Member

Yeah...The science says ya have to have something to be in/out of phase with...be it another speaker in the amp or other intruments that happen to be hitting the same freq's or generating inter-harmonics...Hence the recommendation to check EVERYTHING in the mix...

Straightened out a Bro's band a while back and it was night and day better...

14. dumb donnie

dumb donnie Member

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you go about checking for phase issues?

15. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I may be using the wrong term... Basically from what I can tell, if you have the poles switched backwards on a speaker, it reacts completely opposite. As in, the sound direction goes out the back. BUT, there is still sound coming out the front (you are hearing the signal that normally goes out the back).

16. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

its not ignorance.

I think if you hook a 9volt battery to the terminals, whichever orientation the battery is (neg and pos) when the speaker flexes to the front is right polarity)

But i'm lucky to use EV speakers that have a black knob for neg and a red KNob for pos. My mixup happened because I personally wired the input jack backwards.

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

No the mic wasn't moved. 45 degree angle off center on both recordings.

...actually it does make me interested in selling the twin. I love it to death, but I have no real use for it now. It doesnt distort really... and I don't play truely clean in a live setting. But I put so much work in building a baffle and "Tweaking" the amp with tubes and the EV speakers it just too hard to sell. Makes me sad because theres a 68 twin in my room never being used!

18. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

how did you "straighten out" the band? How did you check polarities? and what did you do to fix it?

19. seventn

seventn Member

To your knowledge, would a Super Reverb RI with EV speakers and some decents tubes sound like your silverface?

20. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I honestly can't say...

...but I would assume it would come damn close.

The best I can do for comparison is my Twin REverb. Before I bought my 68, I had EVs in a reissue and it sounded phenominal. The 68 took over only because there was a little more softness to the sound. Aged parts tend to make an amp softer, but I liked both tones...

Give it a try. Just don't let you mind tell you it won't sound as good. PTP wiring and vintage parts dont automatically make something sound better...heck, who knows, maybe the reissue would sound better!