Clips of HD500X with/without Two Notes C.A.B.?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by armanHammer, Feb 3, 2014.

1. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

I've got the POD and am reasonably satisfied with it. I want to hear some A/B comparisons before buying the C.A.B. I use a Strat with Texas Specials -> Tube Driver -> POD, usually fender twin, Marshall plexi 100, and Vox AC30 tones. If someone could provide A/B's; is be very grateful. Also, apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RJT

RJT Member

Have you considered the Atomic/Studio Devil AmpliFIRE? It's $50 more expensive, has stereo IRs, and also has modeling and effects. Just the fact that it has stereo IR (IMO) makes it worth the extra $50.. The rest is just a bonus.. A very tasty bonus, lol. They aren't getting released until April, though.. And there will be a waiting list. So if you did choose to go this route, I'd suggest signing up to reserve a spot, so you can have the option to buy out of their first batch.

3. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

If you have a computer you can download their free 30 day trial and just turn off the cab modeling in the HD and run it into the computer and use the Two Note VST for the cabs. You could record your tone with the HD cabs, and then a track with no cabs and use the Two Notes on that one.

I would guess the sound is pretty similar between the VST and the hardware device (probably identical).

4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

It is identical!

5. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I would be very interested in the results of such a test :)

6. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

I thought the VST sounded fine, I bought a few of their cabs to play with. In the end I ended up liking some of the Redwirez IR's better but that is all just taste they were quality IR's.

Obviously the point of the hardware is live use.

Depending on how it turns out I agree if you can wait until April Amplifire might be a better buy if the models are better sell the Pod, otherwise use the Amplifire for cab IR's and some effects to free up some Pod processing and use the Pod for more effects and the amp models.

7. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Member

I'm confused. I have not kept up with the Studio Devil/Atomic thread. I thought I had read that the modeling used in the new pedal is improved over the VST version?

I too would look at the Studio Devil if I were considering the CAB. If you need something now, the Studio Devil will not start shipping until April at the earliest, and there is a waiting list.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. speedyone

speedyone Member

No, the modelling is N O T identical. Tom from Amplifire posted earlier that there are NEW and improved algorithms and more in depth fx.

9. speedyone

speedyone Member

I think Nicolas meant to say the hardware modelling will be equally as good (or better) than the VST.

10. randombastage

randombastage Supporting Member

Send me a link to a couple of your favorite presets and I'll copy them, put the Torpedo CAB in place of the Pod speaker cab and try to keep the other aspects of the original preset the same and record an AB of them for you.

I've tried to switch back and forth between 'identical' presets, one with full amp models using the stock speaker cabs and the other with pre amp models using Torpedo CAB. I never could get the stock Pod preset even close to sounding better than the preset using the Torpedo CAB for speaker and power amp modeling.

11. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

He was talking about Two Notes, they have a VST called Wall of Sound that is identical to the hardware.

You can download a trial with two cabs for 30 days and try it yourself with the Pod compared to the Line6 cabs.

12. speedyone

speedyone Member

He was talking about Two Notes, they have a VST called Wall of Sound that is identical to the hardware.

Thanks jmtaylor22, and sorry Nicolas! Didn't know you were talking about Two Notes when you said the sounds were "identical"; I thought you were talking about the Studio Devil software vs the Amplifire. My apologies.

13. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

Oh, man. Thanks a TON. Here's my profile: http://line6.com/customtone/profile/armanHammer/?sort=name&sort_dir=ASC

Ignore the presets not starting with "TGP". I made some mistakes learning the Line6 Edit software and the website won't let me delete the bad patches.

All except the Vox are based around Eric Johnson tones. Specifically, "A Change Has Come to Me" (Clean Marshall w/delay + '63 Spring Reverb, Clean Fender w/delay + Cave Reverb [based on the tones in this song from "Up Close - Another Look," they're quite different than the original album"],) "Cliffs of Dover" (Lead Marshall w/delay + '63 Spring Reverb,) and "S.R.V." (Clean Fender w/delay + '63 Spring Reverb.) I even tried to match the tempos to these particular songs for the delay, but the Edit software is super buggy. MD421 mics on all sounds the best. Sag usually at 100. Various degrees of low cut except on the "S.R.V." Twin. Hum at 0. Bias/excursion on 50 except for Marshall lead which has both on 25. Decay, thump, response at 50. ER on 0 because of the 'verbs, except for the fuzz preset which is not based on any particular song. All digital delays for consistency, set to either quarter, eighth or sixteenth notes, neutral eq, and differing feedback/mix levels. All presets panned 50% to the left. Just a personal preference. I have not taken the time to extensively experiment with Master Volume/Drive/Volume combinations, but I've head this can be very effective in getting different tones. Tube Driver at 38% gain/neutral EQ on the Plexi lead setting; though keep in mind I use a real Tube Driver w/bias knob set at half, EQ at 0 (like Eric Johnson,) and gain moderately below half. All the mixer settings are at 0dB. Like I said, using a Strat w/Texas Specials, and middle pup tone control wired to the bridge pickup for leads like EJ. I usually go direct into Sony MDR7506 headphones. I have not looked much into the Edit software yet, but it seems like it has some extra settings having to do with the tube type, etc. I didn't mess with that. These presets aren't perfect, but should get you in the ballpark of what I want. Basically, anything Eric Johnson, except the Vox which is just a nice British rhythm sound I liked a la The Kooks.

:clips

Edit: here is the EJ link, since this album is not available unless you buy the import. This is THE low-gain Plexi rhythm tone I want. It's so "bouncy" and snappy.

http://youtu.be/Fmldf1VZAp4

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. speedyone

speedyone Member

Would love to hear a recording whenever you guys make one!

:)