Clips of the New PedalworX Cactus Crunch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HarryJ, Jul 11, 2006.

1. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brattmoore
    Hi Harry ! With the 414 and Area 58, does the position 2 (lead + middle) still quack please ?

K... I threw this together for ya

Clean Tone:

http://harryj.net/clean_area.mp3

Neck, Neck /Mid, Bridge, Bridge/Mid

Into Clean Marshall

---------------------
    Overdriven:

http://harryj.net/cactus_area.mp3

Neck, Bridge, Bridge/Mid, Neck, Neck/Mid, Neck/Bridge, Bridge

I used the PedalworX (new version) of the Cactus Crunch into clean Marshall. I'm definitely diggin' this puppy!

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net
    (Yes, a Dimarzio Endorser)

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

Nice representation of the new Cactus Crunch. I just got mine and at first I thought it was a little too bright and George has let me know that there is a remedy for that but the more I play with it the more I like it. It is like a tone expander. and that's cool. I get a great SRV Riviera Paradise/Lenny sound with the CC clean and dirty it's even more fun. This one is a keeper. Oh yea, I'm diggin' this puppy too :)

Great job on the clips Harry! Really shows what the pedal can do.

Matt

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Dude, I have to try this pedal! It sound fabulous..

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

It's a very cool pedal 'fer sure
    There is a lot goin' on with the interaction of the tone controls
    Both the bass and treble change a lot between 9 and 10. The balance between them is where the sweet spot is. Well actually there are quite a few different sweet spots.

the setting I used was:

Drive at 10:00
    Treble almost cranked
    Bass also almost cranked

If the bass is not set that high, it is kind of bright.

HJ

5. lexluth1

lexluth1 Member

Awesome! Great playing also. I especially like the quack positions. What pickups are you using?

6. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Thx man

It's the new Dimarzio noiseless pups
    The neck and middle are Area 58's
    The bridge is the Virtual Vintage DP414 which is a rounder slightly thicker tone.

HJ

7. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Nice work Harry!

Folks who get the Cactus in their hands for the first are gonna quickly find out that it's an overdrive that's coming from a different place than most. It has a lot of range, which your clips demonstrate, but isn't high gain. Definitely lower to mid-level gain, depending on how you drive the EQ section, as the EQ section seems to be pretty active and full of depth.

I like how you can turn up the Bass, get some blooming low-end drive out of it, and then still bring up the treble knob to compensate for highs you just pushed out of the mix. Now it's a gainy overdrive where befor eit was super clear.
    Then it does the infinite shades in-between clean and big crunch.

I've had one here for a few days to play with and (alas) I have to send it off to it's actual owner.:BITCH

:D

8. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Sounds great Harry, nice job!

Man, I'm totally loving this OD, I'm using it with humbuckers. I have mine set a bit differently than Harry's. I have the the Drive at about 1:00-2:00, Volume 2:00, Bass 3:00 (which is about unity) and the treble at about 10:00. Cubba is right about that it is a medium gain OD. I have to say that the clarity is unbelievable. With humbuckers into a Fender amp (Supers or a Deluxe), I set the (EQ) bass alot lower, especially the treble than Harry. However, you can turn the bass up and it won't sound flubby..It stays tight & clear. I could see where guys who use Marshall type amps will absolutely LOVE this OD because it is so transparent and there is no heavy mid hump compression..it should work great.

It seems like there is nothing interfering with the tone. No congestion, no boxyness, just a real transparent, CLEAR sounding OD. This one is a winner and I am sure it will be among the favorites once it catches on a bit more. Like I said before on another post, I am the guy who actually named the pedal and it's totally my favorite right now. How cool is that! :cool:

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Also, it has a much hotter preamp than most, great for just pushing a tube amp into nirvana!

I'm told that the fact that it runs at 18V is a big factor in the tone
    I'm very curious to see what his other stuff is like

A while back, I did try one of his pedals that simply had a volume knob on it, can't remember the name, but it pretty much nailed the Angus Marshall tone!

H

10. Matt F

Matt F Member

I emailed George about my new Cactus Crunch and he sent me a couple emails back and really went above and beyond to make sure I was happy with the pedal. In one email he said that there is a Cap that was purposely left out of the design that can be added back in if the player finds it to be just a little to bright. However, the more I play this beast the more I am bonding with it just the way it is. Georges + attitude twards his customers makes me want to order more Pedalworx gear :)

Matt

11. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Sorry, but I don't find these clips to be very representative of the CC at all. These clips have a buzzy fuzz like sound to them. That's not how my CC sounds at all. It is very open sounding, but not harsh. I'm not a guy who likes alot of treble. I've found the highs in the CC to be refreshingly pleasing. I can get a nice open rock crunch sound, and not have the ice pick highs.

These soundclips sound like the pedal is farting out, and the highs are harsh.

Just my .02

C. Hamilton

12. Matt F

Matt F Member

Hamilton,

What type of setup are you using with your CC? I'm using a strat with a Rivera combo and it sounds very much like Harry's clips and I personally find it has great tone. It's just different.

Matt

13. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Harry J - thanks a lot for the clips! VERY nice pedal indeed and seems to have enough highs to work with buckers as well - could one of the owners comment on that? Whats does it sound like played with humbuckers ( I use an older Ibanez lawsuit model into an early SF Fender Vibrolux Rev. )?

Later, Lu

14. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

I haven't tried the CC with single coils yet, but I thought the clip sounded pretty good going through a clean Marshall. However, my setup is totally different with humbuckers (Les Pauls) going through clean Fenders. I'll have to listen to it again later. I did not hear it farting out...I wonder which model Marshall? I too find the highs to be refreshingly pleasing.

15. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

Cool clips. I'm finding the new CC to be one of the funnest pedals I've tried in a long time. I love the way it just grabs the note. Once you dial in the bass and treble to taste, it is just a pleasure to play through. It kind of has the same fun factor as my old 14 pin OD-1, but with a little less compression, and more clarity and tone.

16. BigRalphN

BigRalphN Member

What I really dig about this pedal is that it can also be used as a "SUPER" clean boost of sorts. Try backing the gain way down and crank the level. With a little tweaking of the bass and treble. it will function as one awesome clean boost. Start rolling the gain up a little at a time and explore all the in betweens. Very cool.

17. Matt F

Matt F Member

This is where the Cactus Crunch really shines IMHO. This pedal is so articulate it makes my strat just jump out of the amp. If anyone GASsing for a new toy and has $200 burning a hole in their pocket :). Give the new Cactus Crunch a testdrive. It's a killer pedal.

18. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

19. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I really like the way this pedal sounds, but to be honest it reminds me of the same tone I have been getting from the MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe but any way I think pedalworx has a great pedal on the market!

20. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

This is my next purchase!! I cannot wait..