Clone Chorus vs. DLS Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Oct 23, 2005.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got the Clone Chorus and I only use it sparingly, but it cuts the low end. How do these compare? Does the DLS cut highs/lows or boost any part of the tonal spectrum?

2. erksin

erksin Member

I've never owned the CC, but I don't have any loss of low end with the DLS. Since it blends your straight signal with the effected signal, you retain whatever you put into it and layer on the chorused effect - it can sound really huge...

3. Bradders

Bradders Member

you know - -I have has the clone chorus for over 3 years now and find I use it less and less - It's a great pedal and a quality box etc....but am ( slowly) comoing to the realization that it may well not be the Chorus for me!

It's subtle and musical too - -but I think I was seduced by the whole "analogMan" thing and thought I had to have it. For example - I far prefer the sound of the Voodoo Labs analog chorus, but didn't like the bump in volume I get when using it - but find its sound much more musical and organic than the Clone. I also like the more extreme settigns you can get with it too.

I may well be missing the point and be "looking for apples under a pear tree" but it struck me reasinf this thread and thought I'd share......quite often I find myself seduced into the hype - anyone else find that?

4. muddy

muddy Member

the dls is still one of the best choruses on the planet! it does so much so well.

ml

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I got my Clone Chorus to replace a TC SCF Chorus that I really liked the sound of, but I just couldn't live with the hideous tone suckage when turned off. The TC could provide just a touch of "glassy" type chorus that merely adds dimension and doesn't shout chorus. It wasn't particularly versatile IMO, but it did that one thing that I liked pretty well.

The Clone is a more versatile, traditional chorus, built beautifully, but when I click it on, I lose the lows. Mike has a mod that reportedly restores some of the lows, and also can provide something similar to the TC, but I believe both of these new settings introduce some noise - not good for me.

So, I really think the Clone Chorus is worth the money and I wasn't influenced by any hype, I am just not sure if it's for me.

In doing some research, I found that many DLS owners love their Chorus/Vibes, but interestingly, some don't, due to a "dark" quality. Any "darkness" would be a deal breaker for me.

6. erksin

erksin Member

I don't hear any 'darkness' from mine - it can certainly do thick tones, but I wouldn't consider them to have a dark quality...

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks erksin, I was hoping to hear that. I hope other DLS owners chime in as well.

8. Fernando

Fernando Member

I love my DLS Chorus~Vib. It is actually my favorite pedal at the moment. It's chorus is very lush and thick too. I love the rotating speaker simulation.

I don't find it dark at all. I maintains the orginal character of your tone, since you can blend the original signal with the wet signal.

It is a stereo chorus. Output A is regular and Output B is a little brighter. That way you can have a more sparkly sound if you want to.

Really, I can't think of how it could be better. Maybe the bigger version, Ultra-Chorus I believe, is better. Never tried it though. The Chorus~Vib is just perfect for me. I'm done looking for chorus pedals.

9. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I have owned both the DLS and the Analogman Clone Chorus -

The DLS is WAY more versitile - from subtle to in your face, from thick to airy... but it cannot duplicate what the Clone does. The Clone is thick and syrupy, swirly and fat! So I consider them to be two different animals. If you like the way the Clone sounds, and you can live with just that sound, then that is the one for you. If you want to use change your chorus sounds to suit your tastes, then the DLS would be the choice.

I have a Fulltone Choralflange on my board. It is even more tweakable than the DLS. It is analog while the DLS is digital (if that makes a differerence to you, but in my mind, I believe I can hear a difference). For my purposes, the CF is the perfect pedal for my modualtion needs (it also does a fine flange) except for phasing / vibe type sounds.

All this being said, if the CF did not exist, I would have the DLS in its place on my board in a heartbeat!

The Gitpicker (standing on the side of the road with a sign reading "Will Work For Guitar Pedals")

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The optional depth toggle in thin mode (sort of like the TC sound) has less noise than the standard setting. The DEEP mode has a little more white noise (hiss) but still less than most analog delay based pedals. I put the note on my website as a caution, but before I added the note, and since then, nobody has complained about the noise. It's more a problem if you play loud through a high gain amp like a Mesa or JCM cranked.

Thanks and have fun!!

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I have the DLS and it's amazing. Blows away anything else I've heard. Has the spaciousness and and vibe of the TC without any of the tone suckage and is true bypass even in stereo mode which the fulltone cannot do.

I had the clone chorus too but didn't feel that it copped the eric johnson chorus. The DLS is very versatile. I can get a ton of different types of chorus and vibrato tones.

It'll also run off of any power supply from 9-12v and any polarity.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for chiming in here Mike!

And thanks for the other feedback as well.

Any other thoughts?

13. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I currently have the Clone, the DLS, the Fulltone CF, and the Maxon (all picked up used), so I could make my own selection after using them with different guitars and amps and on gigs. I'll use them all for a month or two and then keep the one (maybe two) I like best.

So far I'm sticking with the Fulltone, which is the one I started with, but I'm still evaluating. Any one of these pedals by itself can sound great, but they all sound different and have significant differences in the chorus swirl, depth, and tone. I have a tough time comparing pedal nuances by memory, so this method of direct comparison works best for me. Buying used keeps any losses to a minimum, but it does take a month or two to collect them all.

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

fullerplast:
    I'd love to own a few of these to compare, but, alas, budgetary constraints....

What is it about the each of these that you like?

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I'm still working with them. I'll try to put some comments together once I'm done.

16. gjf

gjf Member

At one time had the CF, DLS and AM Clone Chorus for comparison purpose. Of course this is all subjective and somewhat guitar/amp dependent, but there was a spikiness or harshness in the treble that made the Choral Flange a clear loser for me. I still own the Clone and the DLS.

I think that gitpicker nails it regarding the DLS versatility versus the sweetness of the Clone. The Clone sits on my board and the DLS sits on my shelf, will probably sell it some day.

The two things that the Clone does are (1) just sound great --the DLS while very nice sounding never gets that fat sweet Clone tone, and (2) allow for on the fly tweeks with your foot while on the board. To me the Clone gets a nice thick chorus and does a decent Leslie, which I can go between without getting down on the floor. For the amount I use Chorus that fits the bill. But clearly there are more sounds and some very good ones in the DSL, so I think it depends on your intended use, taste in chorus tone, etc. Both excellent pedals.

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

gjf
    The loss of low end with the Clone Chorus doesn't bother you? I typically use Strats through vintage Fender amps tweaked a bit by a good boost pedal. I can get this killer broad range tone from my Strats, then step on the Clone, and much of the bottom end is gone. The Clone sounds good, but I wish I didn't need to lose the depth in my tone.

But based on what you say, maybe the Clone is superior even in light of the loss of lows.

As a previous poster said, it's great to do an a/b comparison when you can. Unfortunately, I can't!!

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Another question for DLS owners...

Any truth to the criticism that the DLS doesn't handle distortion/OD's well?

19. erksin

erksin Member

Not in my case - I run a Timmy, MI Audio Blue Boy, Hellbilly, and Mosferatu into mine (sometimes even stacked) - handles them all with no problem...

There are internal trimmers in the C~V to allow you to adjust input and output gain should you need to - I didn't.

20. gjf

gjf Member

BillyK -- I use mostly tele's and I don't feel a big low end loss with the Clone, but I suppose I unconsciously compensate a bit because I tend to use the neck pickup with the chorus on quite a bit. While I normally use the middle position quite frequently, this is the one that does seem a little out of whack with the Clone - the bridge pu somehow still sounds real good. So I suppose I have just made some small adjustments. There is just an overall richness that the DLS doesn't get.