Close micing: does the cab matter?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ben_allison, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I'm getting pretty great tones out of my Z28 2x10 combo. For some tunes though, I'm looking for a more modern and full low end. I was thinking about getting a 1x12 or 2x12 to run the amp into.

Most of the time I'm closing micing the amp, and the basically means that the mic is hearing mostly speaker, and not much else. Still, I was wondering what kinds of experience people here have had changing cabs.

Is it worth the expense?

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I can't say whether it's worth expense, since if you want more low end there's always EQ, but the mic hears what's there, and what comes out of a speaker isn't just the raw speaker sound. If it was, you wouldn't need to stick it in a cab. A speaker is also a diaphragm for what resonates inside the cab.

Even a close mic will pick up cabinet resonances, the sound of nearby speakers, etc.

Whether this necessarily translates into you needing a new cab I can't say, but first you might play around with the controls on the amp and recording system to see if you can accomplish what you need to.

3. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Well, all I can say is that my Mesa cabs with V30s sound waaayyyyy different than the Marshalls.

4. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Short answer - yes.

The Yellow Cab guy in my sig link does the final listen to his cabs at my studio and the same 2 10" Weber Blue Pups in a detuned cab sound very different than in a ported cab. The 15A150 15" speaker in a ported cab didn't sound good at all (others sounded great) but in a sealed cab sounded amazing - all kinds of detail that wasn't there before that you couldn't just EQ in. One of the reasons, without getting into too much detail, has to do with how the speaker is loaded (think back pressure on the cone) in the particular cab it is in.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  5. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Yeah I just wasn't sure at what point a close mic really picks up cab resonances. I thought maybe at 2-3" of the cone, you'd be getting "mostly speaker."

6. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    This is what I'm saying. The speaker itself behaves differently depending on the loading.

7. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

You can even get down to the nitty gritty of how the speaker is mounted, the material of grill or grillcloth, floating or sturdy baffle board, etc, etc....beyond even the air of the cab or the wood, or tolex material, etc.

Thin metal mesh grill has a different sound than a poly cloth, or a wicker cane.

8. funkycam

funkycam Member

I think the answer is a huge yes

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yes

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  10. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Having had speakers in a ported cab and then having transplanted the same speakers to a sealed cab, I can say that a speaker behaves drastically different depending on the cabinet it is installed in.

11. elambo

elambo Member

In my opinion, abso-damn-lutely!

12. rob2001

rob2001 Member

FWIW, I have several cabs I use for recording. A 2x12 closed back, a 2x12 open back and a 4x12 closed, all geenbacks. They all sound different under a close mic, with the open back cab being the most different of the three.