Close miking THD 2x12"

trazan

Member
Messages
821
I've been thinking of getting myself one of these. People speak highly of them, and they are small and lightweight.

However, I'm looking for a cabinet that will be used mainly in studio sessions, and I've heard some comparisons of close miked cabinets on the net. From those the THD sounds a bit...thin. Does all that bottom just fly out the port in the rear or sumthin'?

Anyone care to share some recording experiences using this cab?

Anyone tried it with greenback's or blue's or other elements? (Do they sell them unloaded btw?)
 

raz

Member
Messages
743
trazan said:
However, I'm looking for a cabinet that will be used mainly in studio sessions, and I've heard some comparisons of close miked cabinets on the net. From those the THD sounds a bit...thin. Does all that bottom just fly out the port in the rear or sumthin'?

The THD cabinet has no lack of bottom end, and this thread is likely to get flooded by folks who own one and will tell you the same. If it sounded thin, the problem is with the recordings.

It's really tricky to capture the sound of guitar cabs in a recording. Close mic'ing a twelve-inch speaker in ANY cab isn't going to translate, if that's all you do. After my first studio experience, I swore off using twelves in the studio. I use tens, if I use speakers at all. Easier to get good sound with tens. Easier still to get good sounds with a modeller, but that's another debate altogether.
 

fyler

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,486
i have two - one with the current standard Vintage/Longhorn mix, and one with the older modded CL80's. i have had no problems getting great recorded sounds with these cabs. i will note that my favorite sounds have been when i close mic'd the Vintage 12 with a 57 & put a condenser mic a few feet away....YMMV, i'm sure.
 

trazan

Member
Messages
821
Thanks for those clips, Ed! Was this through the THD 2x12"? Or were those speakers in different cabinets? I actually found all but the V30 and Greenback samples lacking bottom juice in those clips, but if you changed cab type too it might as well be a cab thing.

I've only heard a couple of recordings of the 2x12 cab online, but they were kinda thin. Here's one link. The reason I was curious is because everyone says it's a full and deep sounding cabinet live, still it has sounded sorta wimpy compared to others in the samples I've heard.
 

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
26,065
trazan said:
Thanks for those clips, Ed! Was this through the THD 2x12"? Or were those speakers in different cabinets? I actually found all but the V30 and Greenback samples lacking bottom juice in those clips, but if you changed cab type too it might as well be a cab thing.

I've only heard a couple of recordings of the 2x12 cab online, but they were kinda thin. Here's one link. The reason I was curious is because everyone says it's a full and deep sounding cabinet live, still it has sounded sorta wimpy compared to others in the samples I've heard.
All in a THD 2x12.
off to check the link...
 

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
26,065
trazan said:
Thanks for those clips, Ed! Was this through the THD 2x12"? Or were those speakers in different cabinets? I actually found all but the V30 and Greenback samples lacking bottom juice in those clips, but if you changed cab type too it might as well be a cab thing.

I've only heard a couple of recordings of the 2x12 cab online, but they were kinda thin. Here's one link. The reason I was curious is because everyone says it's a full and deep sounding cabinet live, still it has sounded sorta wimpy compared to others in the samples I've heard.
I can see why...
The reason is that Classic 80s are a bitch to close mic AFAI concerned, one of the reason we switched to 2 different speakers.
 

trazan

Member
Messages
821
Ed DeGenaro said:
All in a THD 2x12.
off to check the link...
Aha! Hm, do you guys sell that cab unloaded? I liked the Greenback and V30 much better than the CL80 in those samples (Yeah I know, it's an amp/mic placement etc thing too, but still...)

Couldn't find any pics of the rear, can the cabs be run mono and stereo?
 

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
26,065
trazan said:
Aha! Hm, do you guys sell that cab unloaded? I liked the Greenback and V30 much better than the CL80 in those samples (Yeah I know, it's an amp/mic placement etc thing too, but still...)

Couldn't find any pics of the rear, can the cabs be run mono and stereo?
Nope don't sell them unloaded. But we also haven't used Cl80s in like 3 years.
They come mono, but can be done stereo for like 35 bucks up charge.
 

benttop

Member
Messages
342
When we started our CD project, I mentioned to the engineer that we could have a challenge - two different speakers and a bass port! So we mic'd it all. Two ribbon mics in front - one for each speaker, and a bass drum mic stuffed in the back. The resulting recordings have all the bottom I wanted. Stick your headphones on, and head over to http://www.myspace.com/bluesalliance to give a listen to the solo in "I Don't Wanna Lose You" - maybe not the style of music you're working with, but if you listen you can hear the bottom on that guitar. All three songs there were done this way.
 

trazan

Member
Messages
821
I do that kind of music too, benttop :) I'm sort of looking for a cab that works for any "style". I initially wanted a custom built open/closed back 2x12 cab with a blue and G12H (or greenback), but it's damn near impossible to find someone who builds cabs in this country...

Ed, what kind of speakers are in the current THD cabs? And what ohm and wattage are they?
 




Trending Topics

Top Bottom