Close to 1 year anniversary with Fender Supersonic 22

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CB3874, Jan 25, 2012.

1. CB3874

CB3874 Member

I thought maybe now would be a good time to post an update on my Fender Supersonic 22 after spending close to a year with. I originally posted some complaints on various message boards about the Fender Supersonic 22 so thought it would be appropriate to post where I’m currently at with the amp. I originally purchased an Egnater Rebel 30 combo but returned it due the noisy clean channel. I picked up a blonde Supersonic in late Feb 2011. I didn’t notice it at the store but it was pretty noisy when I played it at home. The noise was evident in both channels and louder when the reverb was on. I loved the amp but it was too noisy for my liking. The outlet it was plugged into in my home was grounded. After doing some troubleshooting, the electricity in my home wasn’t the problem.

I bought it to a repairman who adjusted the reverb but that only made a slight difference. I took it to another repairman to see if they could do anything about the noise. They fixed the reverb according to a repair note posted by Fender and they also adjusted the bias level. That made a big difference but brought it back to them to see if there was anything else that could be done. They adjusted the bias level a little more and tweaked something in the circuitry that deals with the gain stages. I won’t pretend to know what they did but it worked. There was some minimal volume loss but that didn’t mattered. I couldn’t play it above 2 without someone complaining at home before the tweaks but now I can take it 3 – 3.5 on the Vintage channel and 2.5 – 3 on the Burn channel. It’s get plenty loud above 4. I’m glad I didn’t give up on it early on. This amp is very warm sounding in both channels. The quality of the amp didn’t suffer from any of the tweaks. This amp is big step up compared to my previous Fender 60 HRD. I’ve been pretty happy with it for a long time.

I saw Fender expand the Supersonic line last year. I was wondering if anyone knew if these new amps have any noise issues.

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

My SS60 needed a tube or two changed and a better volume pot on the clean channel. Other than that (and adding a beam blocker helped, too), I adored it when I was using amps. I think Fender hit a home run with these.

3. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I bought my SS22 last December and it is dead quiet. Fender knocked it out of the park with this one.

4. CB3874

CB3874 Member

Update : 9/14/12

I had a solder reflow done to my SuperSonic 22 along with some of the capacitors upgraded. It's like a blanket has been removed off the amp. It sounds clearer and the EQ is more responsive. I also had a greenback speaker put in and I'm truly digging this amp now.