Close up an Open Back Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by geetarplayer, Feb 7, 2012.

1. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

I have this 1x12 widebody on order:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/WidebodyOB-1x12-LG.htm

I was thinking it would be good to have an open back for what I do... no metal or heavy stuff - more rock/pop styles.

But, if I wanted to experiment, would it be simple to close this back up? From the picture, it looks like it would be easy enough to add another half back to it. Anyone ever do this? Do you have trouble because it's two pieces instead of one? Could I get away with velcroing it on, or must use screws? Maybe there should be a very small gap so there is no vibration against the other cover piece?

This is for experimentation with the sound, and also possibly as a solution for venues where I have the cab miked and facing me, and I need to kill the sound escaping out the back toward the audience.

Thoughts?

2. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Well, I will say that if you look at a closed back cab, they are using a single piece of plywood, screwed very tightly into place with at least 12 screws (depending on the size of the cab). I believe the goal is to make it as air tight as possible to allow nothing to escape out the back. If I was going to convert, I'd remove the open back wood panel, forget two piece backs, and not even consider velcro.

3. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

Convertible rear panel:[​IMG]

4. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Closed back all the way. A closed back cab does not change its sound like an open back cab does everytime mo move it and change the accoustical enviroment.
    Rene

5. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

I came up with this almost exact design for a convertible open/closed back cab back in 2003 at the ripe old age of 20. I posted the procedure on the web back then. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I wonder if I may have started something.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

I would remove the original all together and replace with one whole board.