Closed back 2x12 cab re-load suggestions...Tone Tubby H-bomb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FireBottle, Feb 11, 2008.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I have a 2x12 Soldano closed back cabinet and am looking to change out speakers...I have a stray Tone Tubby ceramic and am considering pairing it up with the alnico in the popular H-Bomb configuration, however I've heard that the hemp alnico isn't necessarily well-suited for closed back cabs. Any experience/advice out there? Thanks!

2. Alambler

Alambler Supporting Member

I put an H bomb set up in a 2x12 closed back from Avatar recently and it absolutely sounded amazing. I primarily used this cab for my band's recent full length album recording and I've never focused on one cab when recording before.

Only thing I noticed is that the speakers need to be pushed hard to get the best sounds out of it. No low wattage amp will get the full bloom.

The alnico might respond a little better in an open back but I haven't tried it yet. It certainly sounds great and very well balanced in the configuration I have it in.

3. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to alternate between a Soldano HR50+ and their Astroverb (20W) depending on the situation...

4. Alambler

Alambler Supporting Member

The low wattage I was throwing at it was a THD Univalve and the 5-6 watts was less than flattering. My 20 watt Blues Deluxe cranked clean sounded great. Very articulate and ballsy.

5. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member