Closed back vintage Fender cabs... remove baffling, or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 1954 Tele dude, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 1954 Tele dude

1954 Tele dude Supporting Member

Dear friends,
    I just got an early 64 Fender Tremolux cabinet. I put a pair of Weber ceramic 10s in it, and have been happy with it, in the house. Took it to a gig tonight. First time in a band environment. Overall, I am happy with the Tremolux amp. I am wondering how much of a difference the cab would sound with the fiberglass baffle material removed. Have some of you done so, and if so, what were the results? Was there an improvement in the sound of your amp?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

Not much. Take the back off the cab, THAT will make a big difference. It will sound more like a typical Blackface combo (Vibrolux etc) that way.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

+1 to taking the back off. I first removed the insulation, to me the cab sounds dead with the insulation in. I then created this new plywood opened back panel and love the sound of the cab. I find for vintage amps I prefer opened back cabs and for more modern amps I like closed back cabs.

Here is picture of my early 60's Fender Bandmaster cab, it was recovered before I got it, it used to be blonde at one point.

[​IMG]

4. 1954 Tele dude

Thank you, gentlemen. Sage advice. I will go with removing the insulation, AND creating an open back arrangement like you have done, Blackba. May I ask, what did you use for plywood?
    Thank you.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

6. 1954 Tele dude

Dear blackba,
    Excellent source. Thank you very much, and God bless!