Closest option (cheaper) to Strymon Flint (reverb side only)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeFM, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Dr. Scientist Mini Reverberator is another great sounding unit that should cover Flint bases well.

2. icarusi

icarusi Member

The Zoom MS 50G looks suspiciously similar to the MS 70CDR. Even the V3 reverb fx list seems to tally with the 70CDR's. I'm looking for the Flint 70s reverb but I'd like a good 'ducking' option to swell the wet after the played note dies. Also looking at the TC HOF2 'Dynamix' option for that. Any Flint *and* 70CDR/50G users know which of the reverbs is closest to the Flint 70s?

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_MS-70CDR_FX-list_v2.pdf

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_MS-50G_FX-list_v3.pdf

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Holzar88 likes this.
  3. AVWIII

AVWIII Member

While I think most companies do a swell plate/hall, spring is a completely different area. the digitech stuff (rv7, supernatural, polara) have what I think is probably the second best onboard spring sound in a pedal.

4. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Polaris: one of the best spring reverbs out there, lots of other very usable sounds ... good price.

5. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

Consider that you might end up going through several other pedals that you end up not liking and THEN getting a Flint :)
    I love Tremelo so that was a bonus for me. I was skeptical of a Digital Trem...but it is very good.

On the Reverb side, all three modes are great. And you can get more extreme decays than from 'authentic' spring and plate verbs

AVWIII likes this.
  6. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Neunaber Immerse has been a favorite of mine. Not sure about it being a Flint replacement, I don't have a lot of personal Flint experience. I see many prefer the Wet.

Immerse vs. Wet.

?

7. Tung-Sol Tube

Tung-Sol Tube Member

I've heard a few folks say that the Digitech Polara/Hardwire RV-7 very close to the spring/hall/plate modes on the Flint. It will not allow for nearly as much decay time, though. I believe the Flint can go "near infinite" in terms of decay.

The MS-50G with v3 firmware has almost all of the same models as the 70CDR, except for "Mod Delay 2" from what I can tell. There is a dynamic reverb that models the TC Nova Reverb's ducking mode. The Flint's 70 reverb is a plate sound, so the plate mode on the Zoom would probably be your best bet. The Zoom is great for reverb, but the plate model is not super detailed. For instance, the HD Hall model has a lot of detail in the decay and early reflections by contrast. The regular hall is fine, but again, not as detailed. The spring sounds on the Zoom are not particularly strong--one is based on the TC Hall of Fame's and the other is loosely based on the Boss/Fender FRV-1.

On another note, the Zoom has a tremolo reverb, as well as a standard tremolo, dual tremolo, and even a tremolo delay. The Zooms allow you to stack up to 6 effects, so you can chain tremolo and reverb together to emulate the Flint. Harmonic tremolo would not be directly easy to copy, but photocell and perhaps power tube bias tremolo sounds should be attainable. You might be able to ballpark the harmonic mode by chaining a subtle univibe or phase setting, but it won't be as authentic.