Closest Thing to a DMM?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LeeSympathetic, Aug 25, 2008.

1. LeeSympathetic

LeeSympathetic Supporting Member

Hey guys;
    I really need a nice Modulated Analog Delay... With tap tempo.
    Basically im looking for a DMM with tap.
    I was looking into the diamond memory lane, and the modulation is not the same as the dmm... unfortunately

I really need tap tempo. tap tempo is really important. same with .8th tap, but if theres no such pedal..

then i guess ill have to deal with the DMM.

BTW: if you guys are telling me to use the search engine, I did.. but try going through 100's of threads and pages and you find yourself with no results! :mob

2. whoismilan

whoismilan Member

The Line 6 DL-4 does have a decent DMM sound in it, did you check out that one? AFAIK, that's about as close as you'll get to the DMM sound with tap tempo, even though it's not analog.

3. woude

woude Member

line6 echopark. I own both and it gets pretty close.

4. LeeSympathetic

tried both..
    eh looking for more high end quality pedals..

5. LeeSympathetic

any ideas guys?
    I really need a quality modulated delay...
    one that can give me that nice spring to it, ya know?
    i need tap tempo though..

6. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Does the Skreddy have tap tempo? Tap tempo isn't a huge deal to me, but good modulated delay is, so I'm considering the Skreddy and the Echobox.

7. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

In my experience, the DL-4 does not do the DMM sound very well at all.
    I think it's going to be pretty hard to find.. maybe look into a Timefactor.

8. dreed

dreed Member

You're probably not looking for this response, but it's worked for me for years...

I've had the DMM and either the DL-4 or now the DD20 and I have to say I love the combinations. I use the DMM for several songs in a set and simply know where certain delay times are. For the song where you absolutlely need the tap tempo, go with a DD-20. In my opinion it gets closer to the DMM than the DL-4.

I was just telling a friend the same thing yesterday...everyone tries to get the DMM sound with a tap tempo...but nothing sounds like the DMM. so bite the bullet and get one.

9. mike6m

mike6m Member

I really think that a tap tempo would ruin a DMM. The uncalculated repeats are a part of it's mojo. There are several sweet spots on the DMM that will get you through a long set by making minor adjustments to the bottom right knob.

If you need to do the dotted 8th thing, just get a DD-7 with a TT and that should take care of your needs. I don't think you will miss the modulation on a dotted 8th passage. If that takes up too much space, just get a DL4 and call it a day.

I absolutely love my DMM, I have a small pedal board (gig box jr.) and the DMM always has it's space on there. I recently picked up a MXR Carbon Copy, in hopes to free up some space by replacing the DMM. The MXR CC is great, but I think I am going to mount it on top of my DMM. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it goes along with me not being able to get rid of the DMM.

It's pretty obvious that the DMM is something special. Almost every new boutique delay that comes out is compared to the DMM in one way or another. And in every case I have heard about, I haven't found one person deny that the DMM has some magic to it. Most come away saying that the new delays are great but cover a different ground than the DMM.

We all want the DMM in a smaller package, but I don't think it's coming anytime soon. Even the DMM XO will likely use different chips and probably won't fill the shoes of it's predecessor.

All this to say, if you want the DMM sound, there is only one way that I know of to get it.

10. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

Check out the Diamond Memory Lane or the Memory Lane 2. I have a ML and love it. All analog and tap tempo up to 550ms.

11. m@2

m@2 Member

+ 1 fantastic delay, rivals the DMM (I have both) and has the tap you need.

12. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Being one of the older farts around here, it's always interesting to watch how a pedal's popoularity rises and falls.

A couple years ago, DMM's were considered "big, ugly, noisy, clipping monsters." Now they're the gold standard, again.

To get a nice modulated delay with tap tempo, try the TC Nova.

13. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

Maybe the Subdecay Echo Box

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I own a True-Bypass modded DMM.

If you want some of the warmest and most colorful analog delay tones and have a tap...ML1 and ML2. I've got both and they sweet! The modulation is going to be quite as chorusy as the DMM but the ML1/ML2 analog tone is better.

If you gotta have that modulation look no further than the DD-20 or even the DD-7. Killer modulation that is super colorful and can nail U2 stuff easily!

15. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I couldn't get the U2 sound out of the DD-20 when I had it.. but I'm probably just a goober.
    If I remember correctly, The Edge's delay tone sounded like it had a deeper/warmer modulated sound then I could get with my DD-20.
    Again, just my ear and knowledge of the pedal. I could be wrong.

16. StratDB

StratDB Member

I tried a sh*T load of delays, trying to get the "U2" sound, including the DMM - had a really hard time with the whole .8 note thing. It wasn't until I got the DD20 that I nailed it. I still have a DD20 but have since purchased a Diamond Memory Lane. Which I find much better than the DMM. Easier to use, tap tempo...I'm now looking into the .8 note mod.

ML - highly recommended.

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Big DMM fan here, nothing quite like it! Would like to try the ML or Skreddy.

I also like the DD-20 very much...I wish it had a mode that combined analog + modulation, that might nearly nail the DMM sound. But as it is can get fairly close...good value for all it offers.

Greg

18. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

The memory lane is the only analogue option which has modulation and tap, but in my opinion does not sound as good as the dmm. It does do all the practical stuff better, especially headroom.

19. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

there is nothing close to a DMM i've found. Lately in my live setup I've been using a Line 6 DL4 into a DMM- this way I have digital repeats, and the DMM last in my chain for ambient non-timed echoes. I tap a lot of dotted 8th's as well but I've just learned to tap it out on the fly. It's such a great combo that I've even used it in the studio lately.

For me the Memory Lane was great but the modulation/oscillation wasn't my favorite...a bit clicky with the mod/feedback going hard. The DL4's modulation setting to replicate the DMM isn't even close. I did have a Fulltone TTE for a while which I also adored but it wasn't nearly as spacey as the DMM.

20. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

nothing with a tap tempo sounds remotely close to a DMM. but ... maybe the empress super delay ... haven't tried that one yet. i've pretty much owned everything else.