Closest vintage PAF for a Les Paul?

FF71

OK I'm finally actually gonna do this and replace the Burstbucker Pros on my Standard Les Paul. To everyone who has played or owned real vintage PAF's equiped Les Pauls. Which is the closest one out there in your opinion? I'm not looking for a hot pickup btw. More like a biting humbucker tele. :)

Rhythm Rocker

I would imagine there are many choices out there and members
here can post their favorites. I had an original '61 SG/Les Paul
w/the sideways vibrato back in '80 and it had PAFs. Confirmed by
a vintage guitar shop. They had that sizzle and snarl that reminded me
of very early ZZ Top.

My suggestion is Gibson '57 Classics. Loved those in my '06 Gibson '61 SG ri.

joebloggs13

I chased that exact same tone for my LP....and found it with a set of Monty's PAFs. That was over four years ago. They are still in my LP. I really like them.

dan in RI

I've got Lindy Fralin Pure PAFs, the hotter of the two options, in a 1990 Tokai black beauty. I did a comparison with a real and unmolested 1982 Gibson LP custom, and the Tokai is a bit sharper, more shrill and thin sounding compared to the 12.5 lb tank of a guitar that the 82 Gibson is. The Gibson is just a touch sweeter and warmer in tone. This was straight into a hotrodded Fender Champ last summer.

Would be interesting to see how the lower output Pure PAFs sound.

jammwill

I like the Duncan Seth Lovers and the Duncan '59s. In my current band, the Seth Lovers were too noisy and fed back too easily for the amount of gain I'm using due to them being unpotted. The '59s are perfect though. :)

rykus

Gold Supporting Member
Duncan antiquities are pretty good on a budget.

He's a bit wierd but Stephen's design where the best I tried and I went thougb a bunch.

Otter351

If feedback is a concern, JWP Betset is the closest I found with that wide open bite while still being potted

wox

Silver Supporting Member
This has been debated a million times on TGP, go read some of the threads

As stated above, there is no one single PAF, huge amount of variation in the originals - Throbak (which will be the top repro on many lists) doesn't reproduce "the PAF", but individual notable examples.

Many other companies make great pickups - Wizz, Lollar, Fralin, OX4, Tom Holmes, Jim Wagner, Duncan, DiMarzio, Gibson, Bareknuckle, Suhr, about a hundred more.

ReddRanger

FWIW, I replaced my LP Standard BB Pros with 57 Classics. Eventually I replaced those with Fralin Pure PAFs, which have stayed ever since. I’ve lost track of how many years it’s been but I’ve never been tempted to try anything else.

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
I installed regular wind Lollar Imperial pickups, after several other sets, Gibson BB, vintage T Top, Duncan pearly and 59. I hit a few chords and sprayed some leads, and literally haven’t given it another thought in over a decade,,settled business.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom