clothing size labeling

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Reading about Amy Schumer and the "plus" size story today I was wondering how clothing sizes can be renamed in an effort to not offend or hurt anyone's feelings. ( tongue in cheek kinda or not )
    Let's look at what we have

Small - are you saying I'm insignificant, petty ?
    Medium - I'm just average ? I communicate with spirits ? What are you saying ?
    Large - Just say it you think I'm fat
    X- Large - I'm beyond fat ?
    etc etc

In all honesty I consider myself to be average or maybe a little smaller than average and yet I wear X-large shirts. I'm nowhere near X-large what the heck, I'm 5'11" at best.

Since it's time to rename sizes to not offend anyone, how do we do it ?

Small becomes .......what ?

This is your assignment for today. Good luck. There will be no grades given for your efforts..........I think you know why.

2. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Makes more sense than starbucks sizing.

I think we should bring Husky back

T Dizz likes this.
  3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I don't care what they call the sizes, can we just get some consistency? Sometimes I buy a medium that fits me like a garbage bag, other times it's like a second skin with tiny little sleeves...

S. F. Sorrow and Drew68 like this.
  4. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

That's why I like jeans. Just inoffensive, plain old numbers to size you up.

5. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Yeah vanity sizing is ridiculous. I was a Large all through high school and college. I'm certainly no thinner now but I'm pretty consistently a medium.

6. taez555

taez555 Member

How renaming clothes sizes to shame people help sell more clothes?

7. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

This thread is bumming me out about fitting in to a medium again :(

8. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

I've always been X-Medium.

HurricaneJesus likes this.
  9. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

Well if they have BIG and TALL stores, when will they open the SHORT and FAT department?

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I just want a freaking undershirt that fits, is that so ****ing hard? I am ~6'3'' 205lb, I buy extra large undershirts and they come down to my belly button, wtf, I buy the "tall" ones and after 2 washes they are barely long enough to tuck into my pants. AGGHHHHHH :bkw

Vic Ferrari likes this.
  11. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Yeah. It'd be ok if they made Large t-shirts for 5"8 dudes. Large shirts tend to look like a sun dress on me.

12. Vic Ferrari

Vic Ferrari Member

I'm 6'1" and kind of henchman-esque, and the same thing happens to me, too! I wear a 2XL t shirts and 2XLT dress shirts. Stupid t shirts come down to my belly button and I look like a fatso lol! If I buy a 3XL t shirt, I look like some kind of g-unit icehole. Can't win.

EricPeterson likes this.
  13. prototype

prototype Member

I think its less about being PC and more about being relative. Obviously a medium from 1948 is going to be smaller than a medium today because people are much bigger now than they were then, both in height and notably in girth. A "medium" shirt should roughly sit in the meaty part of the bell curve of a company's clientele (inb4 a medium in TGP-approved tan-pants is a 42" waist).

true vanity sizing is garbage though. I heard that GAP's clothing can be so far off that a 38" waist actually corresponds to 34" jeans. That's two whole sizes. Don't even get me started on the way most american clothes are cut.... I should be a fitted large (i'm about 6'1, 210 lbs), but many larges or slim XLs will fit my shoulders only then drape over my midsection like a toga. On mannequins in the store they actually pin the backs together to approximate a real fit on human-like proportions, knowing that the cinnabon-disposal society we live in will adequately fill them out.