Clouds Hill $2000 floppy disk delay

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ruiner, May 6, 2016.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

What do you all make of this? Some cool functions. A very interesting concept. I feel like the sounds can already be gotten with delays that cost 10% of that, no? Novelty or innovation? I definitely like it from the demo but can't imagine $2000 for it. Only 30 to be made, probably a lot of work and R&D to get to that price point but still..... i don't know.

[​IMG]

All units are assembled by hand. Printed circuit boards are populated by Nick Baginsky at NB-Instrument. After he put them all together, fine tuned and tested them acoustically and mechanically all these units are individually tested by Clouds Hill Recordings owner Johann Scheerer and guitarist Sebastian Nagel in the studio. You will get a beautiful screen printed and hand numbered packaging including a 4 page manual. First come - first serve.

ECHO - Clouds Hill Floppy Disc Delay is a one of a kind analogue echo driven by a 3.5” diskette; a purely analogue, flexible and magnetic storage medium also known as a floppy disc. It is currently the only commercially available echo that uses this technology. The signal is written to the disc by a magnetising record head and replayed/erased by two reproduction heads and one erase head. The floppy disc is driven by a digital drive system 12VDC motor that runs with variable stabilised speed and additional foot pedal control or C/V gate control.

Unlike the common bucket brigade delays or tape echoes, the sound of the ECHO - Clouds Hill Floppy Disc Delay is much more radical. It is an extremely versatile unit, capable of a wide variety of unique effects. With it, you will be able to realise uncompromising start and stop sounds as well as swirling and warm atmospheric sounds. Featuring expanded control voltage (C/V) capabilities that allow for interactions beyond the simple stacking of effects,ECHO can be controlled by other C/V capable devices. The motor and its four operation modes can also be controlled by a regular expression pedal.

Clouds Hill Echo
    - The Clouds Hill Echo is a one of a kind analog echo
    - The first and yet only echo driven by a diskette.
    - The Echo is generated by a 3.5“ diskette. A purely analog, flexible and magnetic storage medium also known as Floppy Disc. The signal is written on the disc by a magnetising record head and replayed/erased by two reproduction heads and one erase head of a cassette player.
    - The Floppy Disc is driven by a Digital Drive System tape deck motor that runs with 12VDC - variable stabilized speed with additional foot pedal control or cv/gate control

Analog Tape Echo System
    - The circular distance between record head and play head is 207mm.
    - The size of the disc and the position of the heads in combination allows echoes from a length of 0,06 seconds up to 1,6 seconds.

Speed: 0 - 400 RPM equals to
    Tape Speed: 0 - 171 cm/sec
    Delay at 30 RPM (Play head 1) = 1,6 sec
    Delay at 30 RPM (Play head 2) = 0,8 sec
    Delay at 400 RPM (Play head 1) = 0,12 sec
    Delay at 400 RPM (Play head 2) = 0,06 sec

Digital Drive System
    The motor runs in four different operation modes that are controllable by a regular expression pedal or a CV signal.
    - Accelerator Model
    - Break Mode
    - Tape Machine Age Simulation Mode
    - Random Tape Machine Error Simulation Mode

Other Technical Specifications
    Preamp
    - JFET input stage
    - Impedance: low, > 1MΩ
    - Gain Adjust

Output
    - wet/dry mix or alternatively separated wet and dry output
    - Impedance: 60 Ohm

Power Supply
    - 15 V 1A DC

Power Consumption
    - 10W

Dimensions
    - Size 222mm x 145mm x 55mm (WxDxH)
    - Weight 1,36Kg

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

did not read after seeing price.

KeLynne, ef_in_fla, 8len8 and 8 others like this.
  3. fyler

fyler Member

sounds nice, but the features are odd. the motor kill switch is pretty cool, but why the mute in addition to the bypass?

honestly, it sounds a lot like the Catalinbread Adineko to my ears (in the video...maybe in person it's a technicolor psychedelic dreamscape).

4. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Yeah that's kind of what i'm saying. It sounds very lo-fi which there are a ton of great lo-fi delays out there. It does have some tape delay qualities as well. So from this video alone i feel like you can get the delay sound pretty easily off of other much more inexpensive delays.

It seems to be one of those, "lets build it because it's never been done before" and required a bunch of R&D and certainly no small task to build. That plus only 30 going to be made makes it seem like a bit of a novelty similar to the $6,000 candle powered vibrato. It certainly has some cool features but I can't see spending over $2,000 for it to get those sounds unless i just had a lot of extra money around.

Now i could be missing something completely. I would love to hear more videos. I don't play that style of music in their video and wouldn't use the delay in the same way they are so i'd be curious to hear it in other context.

Not knocking Cloud Hills at all... they obviously know their ****.... i even have a vinyl box set of sessions recorded at their studio. I applaud them for making something new. I'd love to play it.

5. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

For $2000 I would hope for a more "user friendly" layout. Those little mini toggles right next to the footswitches seem like trouble waiting to happen.

6. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

The target market for this delay isn't the weekend warrior, bedroom noodler, or even the griseled touring pro.

This is solely for high-end studio owners. It's just a "look at how fancy my studio is, we've got tons of rare kit" piece.

Dspec1 and mustard like this.
  7. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

What?!!?? No tap tempo??!!??

At that price I would expect a free tap tempo person to adjust it for me.

Delver likes this.
  8. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

Maybe. I think the target is people who have far more money than talent. I can't see any serious studio owning a novelty joke like this. High-end studios are all about business.

9. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Well, that's precious.

10. B Money

B Money Member

people are crazy.

Although, this being TGP, someone will probably chime in a wax ecstatic about how this is the ultimate delay unit, putting all others to shame.

11. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

Very cool idea and I'd love to mess around with one, but at a price that wouldn't require me to dine on Top Ramen all year.

12. edward

edward Supporting Member

So the floppy is the new "analog"??!!! Yeah, ok, sure...

Edward

LPBlue likes this.
  13. LJD

LJD Member

i like that motor stop feature. An oddball effect at that price should go nowhere. Put it on the shelf with the zvex candle-powered vibrato and steam punk whammy microwave fuzz.

Flogger59 likes this.
  14. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I think there are some pretty cool features in there and it's a neat idea, but the price is nuts.

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i think they should shove it up their arses.

If it hurts more, maybe use it as an "candirú"

16. Torren61

Torren61 Member

At that price, I expect a "happy ending"

Zalu likes this.
  17. kevinchy

kevinchy Member

Seems to be lacking in a lot of usable features for a unit that is so expensive.

18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

I love the idea of this. Delay on a floppy disk is pretty cool.

I'd get one if I had some extra cash laying around.

19. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

'But honey, you said you wanted that rare $2000 pedal for your birthday....?'

'It's called a KLON! Okay? KLON! K..L..O..N!'

20. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Too many moving parts to break.