Club 40...again!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmcerlain, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

I finally had time to put 6v6's in my Club 40 and I think it sound pretty damn good. I used the Weber Biasrite and it was a breeze. I also picked up a Weber copper cap SS recto with no sag. I really like that as well it changes the attack of the amp as you would expect, a little tighter with no sag, obviously. The problem is that they all sound good! I think my favorite, at the moment, is the EL34's with the SS recto. But I'm gonna stick with the 6v6's for a while and take it on a few gigs and try to leave the Hot Plate at home. I know the amp can take a number of tubes but I think I'll stop here for now.

This was also the first time I have looked inside the amp and wow, does Greg do a great job. Cool guy as well.

2. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Thanks for the report!

Let me also state here that Greg Germino really supports his products. I mean he REALLY goes out of his way, in that regard.

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

it is a great amp. I like the flexibility of swapping tubes too for different volume levels and different tones. I go back and forth between 6V6s and EL34s, both sound very good. Lately I have been constructing and fine tuning a fuzz face clone to match the amp and have found that a Ge-Si transistor combo matches well with the amp and sounds especially killer, EXACTLY like the tone in Hendrix's Castles made of sand when the volume is rolled back to 4-5 on the guitar and the EL34s are installed. I mean bang on w/ american strat w/ fralin blues. I hit on that while ABing several germanium and silicon transistors. When I hit on the Germanium and cheap ass radio shack silicon combo and rolled the volume back, it was like holy S^&t that's it. Anyway, club 40 can nail the hendrix stuff pretty well. Funk stuff is killer too, bet the weber SS rectifier tightens the tone for funk too. You can dial in those clean James Brown Band tones. Cool amp and another +1 for Greg's customer service and Jason's video demonstrations (Steelbender.com)!!

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I still run the amp pretty much stock - EL34's with 5AR4 rectifier - (though I do run it with all NOS tubes) and it just feels and sounds so *right* for me, I honestly have no urge, at all, to change a thing. And I am a tweaker, to the core.

When I say "right", I mean it. I won't get all hyped up, but this amp is the amp I wanted my whole life.

The cleans with single coils justs reset my head. The whole thing just totally reset my idea of "good" tone. This isn't good tone, it is tone for me. I thank Greg every time I talk to him, this amp is my baby. :AOK

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

Which Copper Cap is that. As far as I know Weber Copper Caps are direct ss replacements for specific tube rectifiers, that mimic their operation; which means they sag just like the tubes do. Weber used to produce a Copper Cap that allowed the user to adjust the amount of sag, but stopped carrying that product.

6. KLB

KLB Member

I've tried many different rectifier and power tube combinations in the Club 40. The EL34 with 5AR4 is still my favorite. I'll be trying some JJ KT-77 later this week.

Right now I'm using a 16+16mf F&T cap for the phase inverter and V2. It is normally a 32+32mf. Also, I'm using a Sprague 16mf cap for V1, normally a Sprague 30mf. This makes the power section filter values the same as a Classic 45. (C40 power tube and preamp voltages are lower.) With the three 16mf caps in the preamp, I get a slightly softer touch response compared to a stock C40, however, it isn't mushy -- as those of you with a C45 know.

If you have tried 6V6 in the Club 40 and didn't find much of a difference in volume compared with EL-34, you might want to try this cap mod and use a 5U4GB at the same time. This will get you close to the touch response and compression of the Masonette, which had the same filter values and voltages you get with the C40 and the smaller caps. The Club 40 is still going to sound more open than the Masonette due to the larger OT. With 6V6, you can even use a quality old stock 5Y3 for lower voltages than the 5U4.

I also changed the coupling cap from the Brite channel input to V2a. It is normally a .022mf. I put in a .0022, which passes a little less bass. This is the same value in the Marshall Super Lead amps (and also the Heritage Colonial.) I always use both channels, and there is still plenty of bass from the Normal channel contribution.

I'm sitting on the fence about whether to use the stock .68mf cap on the V2a cathode. It adds a slight amount of gain by boosting the upper mid and treble. Sometimes I think the amp sounds better without it, especially when pushed and/or when using an OD pedal in front. I may put that one on a switch. I usually play a Strat, so don't always need the extra gain/brightness in the upper registers this cap gives.

FYI, my target for the Club 40 is a 1x12 gigging combo for use with pedals and a Strat. Your needs may be different, and these mods may not be significant for you -- i.e., an LP cranked into a 4x12.

Cheers,
    Ken

7. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Yep, the LoVo 55 lets you do this too, very cool :AOK

8. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

I'm so with you here Scott. This is the first amp that I didn't really want to tweak, to me it's just perfect. I too put Mullard preamp tubes in for good measure, but that's it. Love this thing.

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I've just finished tracking for an album with my Germino Club 40 - THD 2x12. No need to mention how FAT and clear the amp sounds, really inspiring tones! :AOK

10. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

The Weber copper cap is the WS1.

It's tough I also think the amp sounds awesome stock. I'm not much of a tweaker myself, if it doesn't sound good in 30 seconds I loose interest. I don't know if that is a good thing or not but I like simple amps. In fact I think this is the first time I have messed with an amp like this. I love the amp but for certain gigs it is still too loud when pushed to where I want it. I don't mind the Hot Plate but if I don't need to use it it is one less thing to bring to a gig. For recording I'll put it back to stock which will take 10 mins. I tried the tweaks after speaking with Greg.

Myron, I look forward to your CD. And the cleans are great as well.

11. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Thanks Jeff! You know that I've been waiting for your stuff for something like 3 years now~! :)

Oh and the cleans are really awesome! :) Well the cd I am shortly putting out is not instrumental: I sing too! :eek: Greek lyrics anyone? :)

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'm running my Club 40 with a 5V4 recto and Siemens El34's. It sounds farking awesome.....just the right amount of "give" and snarl!!