Club 40 Review, finally.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr.Hanky, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

This is not only a review of the club 40 but also a testament to Greg Germino and how he runs his business.

I have had my new Club 40 for a few weeks now but have been waiting to write a review, I hate honeymoon reviews.

When I first got this amp I was disappointed, that is the truth. The bottom line was that there was simply too much bass. To me the amp sounded dark and made my Heritage G12M’s flub out, I had never experienced this before with my Masonette or Route 66.
    I am using a 2X12 in either semi-open or closed, currently closed.
    I A/B’ed the amp with the Masonette and that further solidified my first impression, because for me the Masonette is the sheet. After taking the amp to rehearsal I experienced the same thing, just too much bass.

**Note** I am playing an R4 and R7 both with 11’s tuned down a whole step, this did not help the situation at all!

So, after giving the amp a fair shake both at home and with the band I called Greg and told him flat out that I did not love the amp. I liked it, and I loved the raw clear tone it had but wasn’t completely in love with the amp. After listening for a while Greg offered a few options for me to try. One was the bright cap mod, another was to send me different value coupling caps for the bass output, as well as a bypass cap for something. Greg sent those parts out in the mail that day and I had them by the end of the week.
    Greg also mentioned a few other options if this did not work out.
    All I can say is that Greg will do whatever it takes to make you happy, that was the level of service I experienced from him and have in the past. He is a rare find!

**Note** I am no amp tech so my tech lingo is lame at best. I will ask HeeBGB to chime in here and help out since he performed the mods and is amp tech savy.

Greg (HeeBGB) and I spent that Friday tuning the amp. I played and he hooked up both sets of caps with alligator clips, this way we were able to switch back and forth between both values, for both sets of caps. In the end I went with the bright cap and the newer coupling caps. The volume bright cap was a huge improvement and that alone would have been enough, the coupling caps were subtle but helped clear up a little more mud in the very low midrange that I was hearing.

Once that was done we put in some NOS glass, Siemens EL-34’s and various other goodies.

I can now say that this is THE amp in my collection. It retained that raw clear tone that I initially loved and now it is voiced much more to my liking. A bit more gain, a lot less bass and a midrange that is world class.

The clean/semi-clean tone of this amp is astounding. I have never played an amp that has had such a clear direct woody tone. It simply gets out of the way of the guitar and lets it shine through. I A/B’ed this and the Masonette again after the tweaking was done and I preferred the Club-40 quite a bit more then the Masonette. With either the R4 or R7 the Club-40 just shines, the additional horsepower is nice to have too. It certainly helps cut through band racket.

So, in short I will again reiterate what has been said many times before. Greg Germino is the bee’s knees, as are his amps. I was convinced I would be sending this amp back for a different model initially and one call to Greg solved that. It is amazing what a few simple parts can do and how tunable these amps are, I’m sure KLB will tell you all that.
    I wish I had some sound clips for you all.

Steve..

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Very cool.

I am about to do a full up review on my Club 40 too. I have played a good half dozen shows now on it; flat out it is indeed THE amp here.

I won't step on your thread; but will hold off on mine for a bit. Suffice to say - exceptionally pleased with the amp, Greg and the TONE. The clean of this amp is without parallel IMHO. Pedals become part of the amp; it is the most overall organic and utterly ballsy and pleasing timbre of anything I have ever used.

3. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

I'm confused. I thought Greg Germino was in North Carolina? :confused:

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Greg is in North Carolina.

5. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I played mine at Church tonight.. just got it on Friday.Volume around 1 oclock Bass set maybe a hair under half way mid and treble hair over half.. It seems to me the mid and treble are key to the gain structure. Pedals were OCD set fairly light on gain and Barber DDSS set with a good amount of gain.. VERY happy with this amp. It is honestly the only amp that has ever made me want to stay on the neck single coil setting. I have been playing it here at home this weekend dimed. Honeymoon will last a while with this beast. My ears are still ringing

6. Mr.Hanky

Yeah, Greg really nailed the tone controls on this amp, very functional.
    It's a tone monster.

7. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i think he was talking about another greg.

8. Roe

Roe Member

yes, it would be nice if HeeBGB could chime in

9. Mr.Hanky

At first I was going to go for a LV55, but after speaking with Greg and telling him how I play within the band he reccomended the C40. I have no regrets, but I'd still love to hear a LV55.

10. sws1

sws1 Member

Dang - I gotta go to your church! :dude:dude

11. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

Hi,

I just found this thread by accident. I am also "Greg" so try not to get me confused with Greg Germino. I build amps too but mine don't come out near as nice as Greg G's....YET! :Devil .

Greg G was right on the money. Hanky told him what he needed the amp to do and Greg sent the exact parts in the right values to make the amp do what Steve wanted. The man REALLY knows amps.

I also really want to comment on his build quality. The inside of his amps are incredible. Simply awesome build quality and workmanship!

I love Steve's Masonette but tI agree with Steve that the C40 just outshines it. A really great amp. Very Articulate and sweet. Not harsh in any way! It's so good you don't want to stop playing!

I learned a lot from looking into Greg's amps. Stuff I WILL carry over into my own builds. (I don't sell my amps...I only build for myself).

Greg B (HeeBGB):)

12. Roe

Roe Member

HeeBGB,

exactly what did you modify?

13. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

Put a 500pf bright cap on the bright channel volume pot and changed the output coupling caps to .022uf. The bright cap made the most drastic change. The coupling caps were subtle but cleaned up the lower mids nicely! Gave the amp a bit of extra clarity on the bass notes. Keep in mind Hanky plays .011 gage strings tuned down a whole step!

14. Mr.Hanky

Don't blame me, blame the damn singer!!!

15. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Damn singers! LSD is a beeyotch.:NUTS :D

16. talpa

talpa Member

In the the process of acquiring a C40 from a fellow member - very interested in this amp needlesstosay. I plan on trying to run KT-66s as a benchmark and move to other glass as fits. My 4104 is sounding so good right now w/ old glass but is an extremely tight, late-plexi high-mid sound so this will be a good early pre-plexi tone for the multi-amp thing. Not sure which will become my dirty rhythm or lead channel.

17. Mr.Hanky

With NOS Siemens EL-34's at $60 a pair, you may want to try them in the C40.
    From what i hear current (last 6 months or so) KT-66's are going down the shitter.

18. ricoh

ricoh Member

Funny................I was on the phone last night -w- Greg G. and he mentioned your amp and the circumstances. I was calling him about making my LV 55 sound more like my 67 JTM 50 watt tube rectified plexi. His take on the 67 is..............a Club 40!!!!!!!!! Truth is I'm not sure I will do it but Greg is
    always willing to satisfy an owner of one of his amps. When he refurbished my plexi he did the bright mod as he felt it was too dark. Man ...it sure sounds right to me!!!!!!!!!!

Rico

19. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Downtuner.:eek: :D

20. Mr.Hanky

Better that then downtrodden, no?

Ricoh; Greg is the man, that is for sure. As I said earlier, I think just the 500pf bright cap would have been enough, I definitly like the amp more betterer with that in it.