clubman or flexi 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blues junkie, Jul 17, 2005.

1. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

Well today I played the clubman again and it still sounds great.But I also liked the flexi 50 also.So I was wondering if you had your choice which would you choose and why?The clubman has such great tone and a great vibe.While the flexi sounds very good also and customer support is second to none(Andy and Ed are awsome to deal with)I think the flexi has a good distortion that you cant get with the clubman but my feelings are you start off with a great clean and build your tone from there.I have a fulldrive 2 and a analog man ts9 so I think my overdrive would be covered.So any help would be greay.I play mostly blues r&b and old rock if that helps.Plus my wife gave me the ok to get a new amp.:) she rocks:dude

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The Flexi has.......uh........well........more Flexibility, the Clubman is more of a one-trick-pony but what a very very lovely trick it is! Tough decision!! I, personally, am a big fan of Matchless amps, so I know what I would do. YMMV, etc.......

3. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The Clubman is an amp.The Flexi is a toy.
    What's the thing that separates a man from a boy?

Ted

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

A toy?

There's plenty of "men" playing with that toy.

5. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I seriously doubt it! (the toy part,that is...)

Ted

6. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

I hear a sh*tstorm comin'!Put on your helmets!:D

Vlad

7. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I don't want to be misunderstood here...
    I just don't think it's right to compare apples to oranges.
    I've always wondered how can somebody play or compare two amps that are not in the same league.
    I mean,I understand comparing a Germino to a Matchless and stating what the differences are.In general, I wholeheartedly welcome any comparisons between equipment of the same caliber but it's getting silly sometimes,don't you think?

Nothing personal here...

Ted

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

I seriously doubt you know what you're talking about...

9. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I most certainly do!

I've heard the Flexi on numerous occasions and happened to own a Clubman in the past.

I still own a dozen boutique amps and have previously owned more than that.

In case you doubt me,check my posts.I'm not out to start the next flame war or something...

Ted

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Those who speak in absolutes are absolutely wrong.

Nothing personal Ted, but, damn man. I'd preface your opinion with a "IMHO" and I'd let you slide without getting on you; but throwing that kind of smack out without any context is, well, let's say I just don't feel your opinion holds much water.

(statement of opinion)
    I disagree with Ted 100%.

(context)
    I have owned 3 Clubmans; and consider it one of my alltime favorite amps. It is indeed a one trick pony, but with the right pedals the amp is an amazing machine that is different than the normally held "Matchless" tone thing. Much more steely, grindy and aggressive sounding.

(qualifier for Ted)
    I have owned dozens of Rivera amps, Bogner amps, Matchless amps, Guytron amps, Dr. Z amps and too many other amps that I can't even recall. I have experience playing and recording classic Vox, Fender, Marsahll, Hiwatt and too many others to name here.

(opinion)
    That said, I am a Flexi owner now. IMHO It is a far more versatile amp than a Clubman and covers all the ground it does with tons of authentic authority. The Flexi has a cleaner clean (depending on the tube setup) and far more gain than the Clubman.

I would not personally compare the two amps, because they are different tools for different jobs; but if it came down to choosing one or the other for me - the Flexi is the clear choice.

(moral)
    Now, even if Ted disagrees with me, he has a context to understand where I am coming from when I offer my opinion.

/rant off

11. davebc

davebc Member

Scott,you're too funny!
    You must be great at breaking up fights.

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The Clubman is more expensive - it must be better.
    Hard to be a cork sniffer over a reasonably priced killer product. ;)

What seperates the men from the boys is an amp?
    Do a check list of your fave players - what amps they using?

Man - both those amps are freakin' awesome.

13. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Not at all!
    And that was what I intended to say all along:
    What separates the men from the boys is the ability to make decisions based on valid comparisons and being able to stick to them.

The Clubman is not all that more expensive.You can even pick one up used for less than the Flexi.
    No cork sniffing intended!

Ted

14. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

Hey guys did'nt mean to start a war so early on a sunday morning.All I was wanting was some insight on both amps I've played both and like both I'm not as fimilar with the clubman as the THD.Can I get good tones from both at smaller gigs when they they cant be cranked?Or will I need a hotplate?I know they are very different in character but what are some of those characters that you like and dislike?Also cost wise the clubman is a bit cheaper then the THD but that is not an issue.So let me just say thanks for all the replies so far.

Thanks.

Chuck.

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Quick impression from the limited time I've spent w/ 'em:

Flexi is versatile and able to cop a range of tones from clean to nasty to refined.

The Matchless has more of a defined voice - a great one - like a great Vox 'on steroids' (OK, I hate that description).

Both sound good at low volumes, better at medium to high volume.

16. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I agree that we shouldn't speak in absolutes.
    Sometimes I forget that the things I found(the hard way) to be universally known truths are not that clear for everyone.

I'll be clearer then:

Amps can be vastly different from one another.One can be Voxy or Marshally or have its own thing going.

How can we then make any valid comparisons to whether one is better than another?
    I think the answer is twofold:

Firstly,we look at amps from a cunstructional standpoint,just as we would look at any other material good.

Secondly,regardless of the amp's style, we should decide whether the amp is musical,meaning having a musical frequency range and no harshness or imbalance.
    It should also be inspiring to play so that one can concentrate on the music and not at knob twiddling.

Given these criteria,which I'm sure most people think they are logical,the Flexi is in a different league from the Clubman,therefore comparisons are worthless.

And it goes without saying that this is my opinion and nothing more.
    The Flexi aims for a kind of sound that would be comparable to a Marshall style amp for example or similar.

Ted

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

But the construction of the Flexi is bullet-proof - very road-worthy, perhaps moreso than the Clubman.

It is capable of a huge range of tones, so perhaps a bit less plug and play, but this can be seen as a positive. It suits a range of players/styles/gigs.

Few could deny the knowledge of Andy Marshall (or Mark Sampson, etc.).

I respect your opinion/preference, if not the hyperbole. ;)

18. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The construction of an amp is not only about durability.
    It is also directly related to the tone of the amp.The Matchless construction is not an absolute must for every tone on the planet.It is though perfect for what Matchless intended.

Anyway,PEACE now(I hope!)

Ted

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I'd love to hear more about this misguided notion...

20. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have always found the THD products to be of the highest build quality and they are indeed a reasonably priced product.

I have certainly heard amps with more expensive parts inside that paled by comparison.

THD is a smart company, with an array of great products.....

I never really liked Matchless amps....for my personal taste they always seemed to be a little CLACKY sounding...but that is again IMHO.