• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Clubman solutions

Gearopenia

Silver Supporting Member
I've always liked but not loved my clubman.
Maybe cause I love it's older sister the dc30.
But I've been messing with settings and tubes and speakers.
I have used SS plug.
Today's I went back to tube rectifier and changed the PI to 5751.
Love what it did.
It brought a fendery bounce to it and not so rigid sounding.

If you have issues like mine give it a try before giving up on the clubman.

Last edited:

sickboy79

Cool. Huge Clubman fan here. I upgraded all the tubes to NOS and haven't looked back. One of my all time favorite amps!

Gearopenia

Silver Supporting Member
Just to expand on the NOs I used
Siemens el34 but they just dumped so I will find something else

PI- Jan 5751
Mullard ef86
GE 12ax7
NOS recto think 5ar4 or mislabeled 5ar4

Rumors of War

I've been using Tesla 34's and quite like them in my new to me Wildcat. When they give up the ghost I have some Siemens and Mullards, but I'm going to see how a set of Winged C hold up both tonally and life.

Gemini2

I've been using Tesla 34's and quite like them in my new to me Wildcat. When they give up the ghost I have some Siemens and Mullards, but I'm going to see how a set of Winged C hold up both tonally and life.
I've always seen improvements when switching from other newer production tubes to Winged C SED's. Less harsh, less brittle, less dull and more of everything good! Nice full mids.

Guinness Lad

Cut out the bright cap this alone saves the amp. I hate bright switches on any amp, always sounds fake no matter who the manufacturer is.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Funny My Clubman stock is amazing... I own lots of vintage amps and use them on stages all over the place .. still the Clubman is a go to amp.. Still using the JJ's provided .

Anybody tried a 12AT7 as a PI in the Clubman?
I replaced V1 with a nice old Mullard, made it a bit sweeter sounding.
I have a couple NOS 5751 and a whole lot NOS 12AT7s so I think I need to experiment a bit :dude

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
If I'm not mistaken, I used a 5751 as the PI in my Dr Z Z 28 4x10 combo and I loved it that way. I can totally see this working with a Clubman

So early last week I installed the Mullard as V1, sounded really nice, played it at home for a couple of hours and it sounded a touch sweeter, less pushy on the top end.

On Friday, I decided to swap the PI for a JAN GE 5751, plugged the amp in for 15mins to test and then went off to rehearsal with it (blues/bluesrock). WOW, that swap was killer, 5751 really works well in the Clubman. I can now run the volume higher, before the swap I felt it got harsh but now it just gets BETTER. This gives me more dynamics and a bigger palette running the controls on the guitar. On Sunday, I ran the Clubman into my 4x12 with Greenbacks, just guitar and amp and this sounded stellar. The 5751 is NOT coming out again!

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Great info! I have a Clubman incoming today. I'll look through my tube stash and look for a 5751!

Gearopenia

Silver Supporting Member
So early last week I installed the Mullard as V1, sounded really nice, played it at home for a couple of hours and it sounded a touch sweeter, less pushy on the top end.

On Friday, I decided to swap the PI for a JAN GE 5751, plugged the amp in for 15mins to test and then went off to rehearsal with it (blues/bluesrock). WOW, that swap was killer, 5751 really works well in the Clubman. I can now run the volume higher, before the swap I felt it got harsh but now it just gets BETTER. This gives me more dynamics and a bigger palette running the controls on the guitar. On Sunday, I ran the Clubman into my 4x12 with Greenbacks, just guitar and amp and this sounded stellar. The 5751 is NOT coming out again!

that was exactly my experience. same Jan 5751 tube too!
glad it helped!

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm really loving this Clubman. I run the bright knob on about 9:00 and crank the volume all the way up. It really cleans up well and then I hit it with the Caveman, which is perfect. The ASW Crossroads sounds amazing with the Clubman.

I use one Caveman for humbuckers and Teles and a different one for strats. I can get my tone even with the master on 10:00. The ASW really tames the volume.

lgehrig4

I'm loving your Clubman now ;) I replaced the ef86 and 1st 12ax7 with nos tubes I had. For those who have tried different power tubes in this amp do you have any recommendations?

Is this amp cathode or fixed biased? Plate voltage?

Right now there are JJs installed and they sound good but I'm sure I could do better. Believe it or not one of my favorites for non master simple circuit amps are Electro Harmonix. They are warmer than the competition and bring out the mids. I'm thinking these might be a good fit for the Clubman. They beat out winged Cs in my Aiken Invader and Club 40

DesertDirtDog

I'm loving your Clubman now ;) I replaced the ef86 and 1st 12ax7 with nos tubes I had. For those who have tried different power tubes in this amp do you have any recommendations?

Is this amp cathode or fixed biased? Plate voltage?

Right now there are JJs installed and they sound good but I'm sure I could do better. Believe it or not one of my favorites for non master simple circuit amps are Electro Harmonix. They are warmer than the competition and bring out the mids. I'm thinking these might be a good fit for the Clubman. They beat out winged Cs in my Aiken Invader and Club 40
The Clubman is cathode biased.

I had a NOS set of EI 6CA7s in mine and they rocked, but I pulled them after reading horror stories about this particular tubes' propensity to fail and take transformers with it.

My Clubman is up for trade in the Emporium, but if I keep her, I'll probably try a set of JJs 6CA7s in there. Bet they'll sound great.

lgehrig4

Thanks for the info and that's good to hear. I didn't feel like removing the chassis. I'll try to pick up a pair of EH EL34s this weekend and test them out.

lgehrig4

Today I picked up a pair of EH EL34s to replace the JJs and the change was just as I suspected. Slightly stouter mids and dampened highs. Before when I'd strum a chord hard the high E and B strings would stand out in disproportionately. Now when I strum it's more even and balanced. Still has the steely top end just on better balance with the rest of the strings.

Highly recommend these for this amp if you are planning to use new production tubes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom