Clubster/Pubster or Astroverb??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sporque, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Sporque

Sporque Member

I'm a fogie who has to lighten the load of carrying my amp. I'm playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and was about to buy a Rivera Clubster or possibly a Pubster. Then I was browsing ebay and saw a Soldano Astroverb. Now I'm confusticated. Has anyone played through both? Did you like one over the other, or do you know of another amp in the same price/weight range that sounds better? thanx eh (I'm a Canuck)

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

There's more headroom in the Riveras, I think.

3. Sporque

Sporque Member

Not too surprising, since the Riveras come in 45 watts and I think the Soldanos are 20.

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

If you want to have some of that Fender clean still there, the Clubster or Pubster is the better choice, even the 25 Watt versions.

If you want to get dirty for your 20 Watts, then the Astroverb could be the ticket.

And since you're Canadian, you could consider a Stephenson Stage Hog or LJ-10. Very nice cleans and dirties with the LJ.

5. Sporque

Sporque Member

Thanx for the heads-up on Stephenson, but it seems the LJs are out of production right now, and a 30 watt combo from him is $2400. :jo
    I was hoping to keep to the one grand or under. The stage hog sounds interesting, but I still need a lighter amp. I guess a guy could go with a cheap (Traynor?) amp and buy a stage hog...I'm still scratching the head-bone on this one.:D

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

There is very little clean on the Astroverb. Also, it sounds pretty thin in the open back combo configuration.......sounds *much* better IMO with a closed back cab.

7. onemind

onemind Member

for versatility it's not even really a contest, if you need cleans go for the rivera, the reverb is nicer as well.

8. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I played a Clubster a few months back and really dug it...good cleans and distortion..I think you get something more versatile with the Rivera.

Johnny:RoCkIn

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

10. wakkawakka

wakkawakka Member

I have a Rivera R30 with an Emi Red Ryder in it and I love it to deeeeeaaaath. I guess that's not super relevant, but there ya go. The R30 has bassman-ish, blackface-ish, marshall-ish, and mesa-ish (marshall side with boost on, I also have a Tremoverb), you could probably find one used for pretty cheap-ish. It's not super light though.

11. Sporque

Sporque Member

Thanx 4 that, wakkawakka. I'm actually bidding on a R30 with a Celestion and Groove Tubes. I think 37 pounds will be barely handleable. Wish me luck...

12. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey Sporque,

Have you considered the Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe mod:
    http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got this mod done on my Hot Rod Deluxe and it revoices both channels of the amp. Clean channel becomes blackface and has good breakup when the volume is set at 3.5 and the drive/more drive channel takes you into early '70s Marshall territory. It sounds quite good and for $250.00, it's much cheaper to mod an amp you already have. If you have your mind made up to get a Rivera Pubster, Clubster or the Soldano Astroverb, that's cool too.

Guitar George

13. wakkawakka

wakkawakka Member

I think you'll love it. I believe they used to come with celestion 55 speakers made for Rivera which I wasnt super fond of, just ok. I had great luck with Reverend Alltones (until I wore it out :) ) and now the Emi Red Ryder (which sounds like ass/thin until it breaks in, which takes about 15 hours of playing).

I am rediscovering the push/pull mids on the clean channel as well, blackface vs. bassman, nice, and the clean side has some cool overdrive sounds too. Make sure you are getting the footswitch, the available boosts make a huge difference. The boosts can also be used to get different sounds, the boost on the distortion side gets you closer to Mesa. The boost on the clean side gets super phat. And the amp is super responsive to preamp tube changes.

Note: the R30 does not have an effects loop or presence controls, neither of which I need.

14. wakkawakka

wakkawakka Member

I was totally happy with the sound of my Fender Blues Deville, really, especially after speaker changes, but after my tech gave up on repairing it for the 8th time (plastic jacks, tube solders, plate load resistors, and a whole board replacement once, and he was on the phone to Fender the whole time) and hearing friends of mine tell stories of people in their bands who have them, I've really come to appreciate the build quality on the Riveras, really abuse-able. I would say my DeVille sounded better clean (for what I like) and with pedals than anything else I've tried except for the new Bassman LTD reissue. After much resistance on my part for many years, I view those amps as ticking time bombs, when I see any combo amp now with plastic jacks I run.

If the Omega amps mods rewire the whole amp (I think Torres offers something like this) and install metal jacks, then that's a good deal.

15. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey wakkawakka,

Jim Price revoices both the clean channel to be a blackface Fender and the drive/more drive chanel to be like an early '70s Marshall. I had Jim install Cliff input jacks installed "dead bug" style so the wires connect to the circuitboard and not have the jack connected to the circuitboard. I have already played quite a few gigs on my modded Hot Rod Deluxe. It sounds great, is reliable and I definitely got a good deal on the mod.

Guitar George

16. OOG

OOG Member

his point was to get a lighter amp
    someday when you're old like us
    you'll understand;)

17. wakkawakka

wakkawakka Member

Good move on the jacks, sorry, I've been through the ringer with my Fender, if yours works good, then good!

18. wakkawakka

wakkawakka Member

I feel old! I got one of these about a year ago (lightweight aluminum folding hand truck with big rubber wheels) for about $60 at a local office max or depot or something, I figure it'll add 10 years to my gigging lifespan :) works well, can handle 110lbs and folds very flat:

http://www.waresdirect.com/product.asp?prodID=SAF4049&trackURL=shoppingdotcom&utm_source=shoppingdotcom&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=SAF4049&utm_content=textlink

19. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I liked the Clubster, that I played. I have not been able to try a Pubster. I would prefer a single channel amp, but I believe the Pubster doesn't have a stand by switch. The Clubster had a Celestion Seventy 80 speaker, which I have found, sounds good, and is very light. You could just lighten the wieght of your HRD, with a Seventy 80, or Eminence Lil' Texas. I have one in my light weight amp (a Peavey Studio Pro). It has 65 watts, and only weighs 35 pounds.

20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'd go with the Clubster or better yet the Chubster. Rivera cleans and build quality are legendary.

stratzrus