Clue me in on vibe & univibe?

Dave Locher

I was thinking of picking up a flanger or chorus pedal, and kind of thought maybe a tremolo. Then eBay gave me a $25 coupon and while hunting around for something cheap I stumbled across the Caline Lucky 7 pedal. It has detune, chorus, flange, phaser, tremolo, vibe, and univibe so I popped for it.
Got my first chance to try it out today and...I don't get vibe or univibe! I am a rock & punk player but I do gentle, too. I was playing dead clean. Vibe just makes the guitar sound out of tune and I am not sure what the heck univibe even does?
I know plenty of players love these effects, so what do you like about them, what do you use them for, and how do you set them?
(I realize my $40 digital pedal is not the BEST vibe or univibe in the world but all the other effects are passable so I'm sure it is in the ballpark. I'm hoping for clear and sincere advice, not "you won't get it until you try the Brand X vibe!")

halcyon

Supporting Member
I have a very nice boutique univibe that I use for swirly “movement” and depth. Nothing else does the same thing.

Dave Locher

How do you set the univibe? I have depth, speed, and mix to work with.

Yes, vibe is vibrato. It warbles the pitch, which just sounds weird to me? Are these both effects that are typically set "barely there"?

ndparse89

I was thinking of picking up a flanger or chorus pedal, and kind of thought maybe a tremolo. Then eBay gave me a $25 coupon and while hunting around for something cheap I stumbled across the Caline Lucky 7 pedal. It has detune, chorus, flange, phaser, tremolo, vibe, and univibe so I popped for it.
Got my first chance to try it out today and...I don't get vibe or univibe! I am a rock & punk player but I do gentle, too. I was playing dead clean. Vibe just makes the guitar sound out of tune and I am not sure what the heck univibe even does?
I know plenty of players love these effects, so what do you like about them, what do you use them for, and how do you set them?
(I realize my $40 digital pedal is not the BEST vibe or univibe in the world but all the other effects are passable so I'm sure it is in the ballpark. I'm hoping for clear and sincere advice, not "you won't get it until you try the Brand X vibe!")
The uni-vibe was invented to be a rotary speaker simulator. It didn't really sound like a Leslie, more like a psychedelic fusion of a Leslie and a phaser. Which ended up making it very popular in its own right. Jimi Hendrix was the first major player to use one and it became a staple of his Woodstock-era sound. David Gilmour uses one prominently on Dark Side of the Moon. I think it was actually the first ever portable modulation effect invented. Any modulations you heard before it came out were done with studio magic or actual Leslie speakers.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Gold Supporting Member

Yes, vibe is vibrato. It warbles the pitch, which just sounds weird to me? Are these both effects that are typically set "barely there"?
Think of the Univibe as a wonky, square-wheeled bike. It's actually a phaser that has a not-exactly all-pass filter and a lopsided LFO... I actually think it sounds best when it's right upfront (Trower's Bridge of Sighs).

Vibe (vibrato) is one half of chorus... the half that has modulation (changing pitch).
I can use it as a barely-there shift that keeps those tone-hounds at bay...
I know some people use it heavily for the seasick effect, but to each their own. Robert Cray uses it to GREAT effect in his blues shows.

The thing about univibe for guitar is, IMO it really needs some drive after it to be at its best.
For me the iconic vibe tones are Trower and Hendrix. Both were running it into cranked Marshalls.

Also, the cheap digital multi modulation pedals don't really do a very good simulation. They can cop a decent chorus or flange, even tremolo. But univibe tone is quirkier & more elusive, and good digital simulations tend to be expensive. For affordable univibes the authentic sound comes via old school optical circuits - even the less expensive ones like the MXR/Dunlop pedal. I have a couple cheapo CoolCat Vibes that are optical and quite nice.

BootRoots

FYI most of the time around here the terms vibe and univibe are used interchangeably, with vibrato being its own thing. I know what you mean about it sounding out of tune. I used to hate it but it has its uses.
Lonnie Mack pulled it off well with his Magnatone amps. (Vibrato effect i mean

Last edited:

Lewis909

I like to stick in front of distortion/overdrive like i do with my tremelo, by doing this you can sort of modulate the tone like you would do with a synths LFO.

Flouncingfleasbag

Supporting Member
Probably the easiest way to tell if the uni-vibe you have is decent I'd if it makes that heartbeat " wub wub " sound in the low frequencies. If it doesn't wub wub, it will be very frustrating to try to cop classic unit-vibe sounds

Vibrato goes great with reverb and delay. Then it's more like a chorus.

Univibe -- you just have to use your ears. I feel like people overdo the controls, so it's best to experiment yourself. I find the sweet spot isn't too extreme.

A Deja Vibe has both univibe and vibrato, which is a nice plus. It lets you do chorus or univibe.

Buck Woodson

Supporting Member
I have a Rotovibe and a Fulltone Deja 2. I very much like that they can use the treadle to vary the speed continuously. I don't like that they both suck some tone out of the mix. There may be a way to mitigate that I haven't found or tried. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Maybe some dirt after would do the trick.

Vhailor

Supporting Member
Thanks, everyone!
I will check out the videos and twist some knobs and see what's what.
And if you don't like the effect, it's not a big freaking deal. No one is required to like any particular effect. No one is required to use any particular effect. If the pedal cost you $40 and gives you six effects, that's less than $6 per. If you don't use one or two, you're not losing much money. Feel free to direct your attention to more pressing and productive matters.

: )

sonofspy

The Univibe is actually 4 phasers in one. Guitarists were not
the only ones to use it Chris Wood flautist/sax w/Traffic.
You can get crazy with it but it's best effect is a subtle swirling
...think Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs"
Wanted one for 30+yrs...got a TC Vortex,
floats my boat big-time.

HTH

Last edited:

Dave Locher

And if you don't like the effect, it's not a big freaking deal. No one is required to like any particular effect. No one is required to use any particular effect. If the pedal cost you $40 and gives you six effects, that's less than $6 per. If you don't use one or two, you're not losing much money. Feel free to direct your attention to more pressing and productive matters.

: )
Yeah, I'm not exactly worried about it, I just figured I was missing something. Mainly my settings were too high.

Trending Topics