• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

CMATMods Brownie vs. Wampler Pinnacle 2

nicty1109

Can't make up my mind on this one - I like the Brownie's price vs. the Pinnacle but don't want to sacrifice better tone for $40+. I've heard clips on both and they both sound really good.

Any thoughts?

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
I'd like to know about that too but, I'll probably go with the cmatmods anyway. I have a few of Chads pedals now and I really like them.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
I had the brownie with the Fr8-trane mod which is supposed to be a little tamer. At the time I think I had a Tim and my Menatone KK at the same time to compare. The Brownie from what I remember was very open sounding with rather very flat mids and virtually no compression. It had more then enough gain for most practical purposes but to me drive pedals sound better into a slightly broken up amp rather then clean so I never really tried it into a complete clean sound. Compared to the KK and the Tim it was just a little synthetic/fizzy sounding. Probably due to the very little compression. Both the KK and Tim were more amp like from what I remember. I recently picked up a Wampler Pinnacle and its killer sounding. Maybe my ears have changed but from what I remember about the Brownie I think the Wampler is easily worth the extra money.

Peeb

I've got the Pinnacle 2 on order. Hoping it is rather "amp-like" in it's operation. On paper, seems to have a versatility edge, but your ears are the final judge.

RenoRattler

I've owned both, Pinnacle has more versatility IMO. The Brownie is pretty amp like too. Chad and Brian both make some great pedals. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

hdahs143

Silver Supporting Member
The price difference is only $14.00
The Brownie with the contour option is 145.00
The Pinnacle "member" price is 159.00

Anyone can be a member for free.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The price difference is only $14.00
The Brownie with the contour option is 145.00
The Pinnacle "member" price is 159.00

Anyone can be a member for free.
Brownie with "Contour Option"????? When did that happen?

The only drawback with the Brownie to my ears is that the mids are flat. The stock brownie tends to disappear in a band mix. I've tried a couple mods that have helped but a dedicated mid /countour knob would be the best solution.

I have yet to try the pinnacle but after reading up on it (including Mr. Wampler's more technical descriptions) it seems to be based on the BSIAB/Brownie circuit with with switchable gain levels and a dedicated midrange circuit. Also the vintage/modern switch seems to activate, on demand, a popular Brownie mod that increases the treble response.

The brownie with contour knob looks like a great new option but the Pinnacle contour circuit looks to be more surgical in the way it can be dialed in so it may have the edge in versatility and rig matching. Also the pinnacle has switchable gain levels and treble response which adds even more versatility.

Anyway based on my experience with the original brownie I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these. The Brownie has the most authentic amp like drive texture of any pedal I've ever used.

Trending Topics