CMATMODS Brownie!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blueser, May 12, 2008.

1. Blueser

Blueser Member

Just received mine today. WOW! This is the one of best hard rock pedals in the modded Marshall vein I have ever played. Thick honkin' mid-range, and great harmonics on the top end! Just the way I like. You can do some serious ZZ Top pinch harmonic stuff with this pedal. Very musical on the rhythm crunch tones as well, with a really sweet top end crunch.

I like it a lot better than the Crunch Box that I had. It sounds and feels more amp-like.

Chad has been great as well. Smooth transaction, and very responsive to e-mails. Highly recommended!

2. LP Deluxe

LP Deluxe Member

...mine's on the way!

Dave

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Blueser, is your tone control cramped like mine on the layout?

4. jdandry

jdandry Member

I have a Brownie and just can't seem to get it to sound good. Is it a amp volume thing, I haven't played at stage volumes yet? It sound way too hot and not enough lows, weird midrange and not very open. I took out C14 What am I missing, alot of people seem to love them. I may sell it. My curreny fave hi-gainer is the Lovepedal PP800.

5. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

check my clips, with a single coil and roland cube

6. Brad J

Brad J Member

If your handy with a soldering iron and some solder wick, whip them fet's out and socket them, get a handfull of mpf201, 2n5457's and j201's and customize it to your liking.

I found exactly the same thing as you in it's stock form, running the lower gain mpf201's in q1&q2 made it so much more usable to me, I can use the whole gain knob sweep rather than 1/4 of it :)

Cheers,

Brad

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I also found the stock BSIAB to be too gainy. Swapped q1 and Q2 for MPF102's and made everything else 2n5457. No J201's at all. I like it much better this way and its now my favorite hi gain pedal by far.

If you want more lows look into an OCD or a Box of rock. Personally those 2 pedals had way too much woofy low end to my ears and the brownie is just right. For the record the brownie has much more low end than a TS, Rat, or Boss blues driver but less than the 2 bass bombs mentioned above. Also the way the low end on the brownie feels/responds is magical IMO. Hard to describe but it just makes you want to dig into those big juicy distorted notes on the E and A strings.

8. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the tips, fr8_trane!

I see you're in New Brunswick.
    My band Round Trip has a gig on the 24th at Rug's & Riffy's in Woodbridge, maybe you could swing by if you're so inclined.

9. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Chad's making me a fr8_trane special as we speak...I can't wait!

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

Is it still a high gain pedal with your mods (say, compared to a crunchbox)?

Will CMATMODS build me one with your specs? I don't want to build anything...

11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

1 - oh yes. let me start by saying i thought the crunchbox was a darn good pedal. . . until this thing. it's actually not fair to compare them, if you ask me. . . i actually laughed out loud when i heard the brownie the first time when fr8_trane brought it over.

and

2 - yes. make sure you get the sockets for them thingies so you can swap 'em out. . . and in and such

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yes its still hi gain (think EVH or Slash not Metallica) even with single coils but its alot more useful below noon on the gain knob and its not super compressed anymore. By lowering the gain I lost a bit of sustain (plenty left) and it doesn't go into singing feedback on demand anymore. But the pedal is much more versatile especially for rhythm.

Make sure you get the transistors socketed that way you can swap tranny's in or out based on your preference. If you want more gain, sustain and compression use all 2n5457. I keep the 2 I swapped out wrapped up inside the pedal in case I want to increase the again.

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

So even with these mods, the gain is on par with the Crunchbox? I thought that pedal had plenty and I ran the gain around 1:00-2:00.

Will CMATMODS make this socketed fr8_trane version for me? Anyone selling one?

14. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

CMATMODS will make you a fr8_trane version for the same price as the normal version. (Emailed that question to him 2 days ago) I hope to have mine soon.

15. Phil M

Phil M Member

Thanks, man. I'll keep that in mind if I can't find one used.

So this fr8_trane version can do similar gain levels to the Crunchbox V2 with the gain around 1:00-2:00? That same tight bass--no fartiness?

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

I didn't think the controls were any more or less cramped than any other small box effects pedal. Quite honestly, I didn't put much though into it, because it seemed fine to me.

17. Blueser

Blueser Member

I noticed that the gain came on hot and heavy pretty quickly as well, but I just run it at noon, and its perfect. I love it just as it is. I use it only for the heavier tones to get that honkin' mid-range goodness with the jumping harmonics on the top end. For the lower gain bluesier tones, my Klon reigns supreme!

18. Brad J

Brad J Member

Even at noon it was too much for my liking (in stock form), the lower gain fets give you more use of the gain control, with it set at 3:00, it's probably comparable to the stock fets at 11ish........

19. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

What fet's are you guys are talking about....the 5 black transistors? Mine also has a trim pot inside, anyone know what that's for?

20. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Yes, the 5 black 1/2 moon-shaped transistors are the FETs.
    The trimmer controls voltage to the last FET I believe, and there's a very small sweet spot where it becomes it's loudest. Find that and leave it there.