CMATMODS Chad Matthews is doing some fine work!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blackfacetom, Mar 4, 2006.

1. blackfacetom

blackfacetom Member

I purchased a CMATMODS (Chad Matthews) Phat boost from eBay and was very impressed with his work. I followed up by checking out his website and decided to have my stock Dyna Comp (that I never used), modded for $35.00, it will now have a new home on my pedalboard. You guys should check him out. You guys should check this gut out!!

Tommy

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

3. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

I just discovered CMATMODS also. I've got his Delay, Tube Slammer, Buttah and Ross Clone on the way. All of his pedals look to be high quality. The sound clips on his website are very impressive. Can't wait to try them out.

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Hi all just wanted to +1. Love Chad's stuff.
    I have a Phat boost, Tube Slammer, Deeelay and Dyna Comp from him.
    Also Chad told me his operation (Carpal Tunnel) went well and he's building again.

5. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

How do you like the Tube Slammer? I like the clips on there. At first I didn't listen because I thought it said Tube Screamer (definitely not what I want) but then I realized it sounded like it had even more bass then the Buttah.

6. Fernando

Fernando Member

Anyone tried the Brownie yet? Sounds real good to my ears, judging by the sample.

7. r9player

As I mentioned before I have the tube slammer.
    Now the first one I got had a TON of low end and I didn't want that so Chad swapped out mine for one that had the spectrum shifted up.
    So I'd say shoot him an email and he'll get you are really nice lower spectrum OD (I know cuz I had one!)

8. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I really liked the clips on Chad's website. Man cool chops AND tone on the samples!... The Buttah and the Deeelay impressed the hell out of me! I bought one of each, recently... Waiting for them to get here...

9. Electric I

Electric I Member

10. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I seen a band 2 weeks ago that the guitarist was using the tube slammer and the deeelay. His tone was pretty good and after questioning him he had a lot of good things to say about the cmatmods. I missed a deeelay on ebay last week that went cheep and was really pissed that my day job got in the way of picking it up.

11. r9player

Hey Majorledhead wanted to say welcome to TGP!
    Sorry you missed out.

12. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Bought the Tube Slammer on Ebay and thought it was very weak. Volume not very loud compared to other pedals. So I sold it back on Ebay. Anyone use his ross compressor clone. I have the Analogman comprossor. Great but pricey, I would sell it if the Cmatmods clone was comparable.

Ahltarocka

13. r9player

Hey ahltarocka. Welcome to TGP first of all.
    One of the things I like so much about the tube slammer it has a wide range from low gain od to high gain od vs. most pedals which kicked my volume way up and I had a hard time getting unity gain when I wanted. (I use a boost usually to kick it up a little extra)

I have a compressor here from Chad and so far I haven't been able to get a lot out of it that I personally like. I don't like comps that alter my sound a lot and I've been playing around with the extreme settings so far.
    If you want to describe what you are looking for I can try and see if I can get it. (A compressor that I liked a lot was the Diamond Comp very transparent, I used it to make my sound more lively, but I replaced it with the Phat Boost from CMATMODS)

14. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

His modded SD-1 (Fullclone + ) is the best variation of the TS/SD-1 smooth gain type pedal I have ever heard. I like it better than a lotof stuff, if I said I like better than Cornish and Landgraff, that would piss off a lot of people (but it's true). heh heh...

P.

15. carolina Slim

carolina Slim Member

I've got a couple of Chad's pedals and they are great. They sound better than pedals costing twice as much. Chad's great to work with and about as nice of person as you will ever find. I highly recommend CMAT Mods to everyone.

16. r9player

Cool, I've never tried the Cornish or Landgraff .. but I do feel his stuff is awsome and easily keeps up with boutique tones.
    the other thought. Cool you are in Philly!

17. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to graveyard bump this but I wanted folks to know that he's still doing great work! I recently picked up a pawn shop Taiwan-made Boss DS-1 that was hopeless, just shrill and thin and nasty, I coulda sworn it was broken, it sounded that spitty. Anyhow, off to CMAT and his Boss DS-1 CMAT Rectifier Tri Gain mod transformed this thing into my fave humbucker pedal, period.! The Dumb Bell is good for my Tele, but at low levels with a humbucker the CMAT edges out the Dumb Bell. With a Tele the Dumb Bell beats the CMAT at low levels. At high levels both sound great of course!

Anyhow here's a vidclip of the CMAT since I suck at descriptions. It's on the LED clip gain position (middle). The 1965 Guild Starfire II Special is on the bridge pickup only. I've been asked why it's a "Special" and it's because it was custom ordered with a Master Volume. Can't imagine my SFII without it, because as you can see you can roll to 1/3 vol for an early Rock and Roll vibe, half up for a Classic Rock growl, and full up for some heavy metal face melting. Unfortunately I suck at all three genres. '52 Fender Princeton Tweed doing the amp duties here. 5 Watts can get ridiculously loud if you don't watch out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftezO2RS5xw

18. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

What do you guys know about the Signa Drive? Again, the soundclips for it sound awesome, but I'd love to hear from someone who has played it or owns one.

19. Thazy

Thazy Member

I have a Signa Drive and really dig it. Check out the reviews on Chads webpage.