1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Cmatmods Signa Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by allanh91, May 22, 2011.

1. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Anyone still using it? I researched a few posts from a couple of years ago.

All great reviews. I'm just wondering if it's still used around here, not that that would affect my decision, just looking for an up to date review of sorts.

Seems like a great OD for the price, and someone mentioned it can cover some ground of the OCD as well.

Not looking to spend a penny more than $145 plus shipping, so it could be a great pedal for me.

2. jchan

jchan Member

I haven't been using it lately but it is a great, versatile overdrive. I just don't like the larger style box it comes in. I'm currently happy using a BB preamp.

3. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

Definitely a great OD, especially for the price. It is a TS variant I believe, so I keep it around for that flavor if I ever want it. Woody and midrangey in a quite pleasant way with a lot of gain and volume on tap.

Currently a Timmy and a Bearfoot HBOD are the ODs on my board if that matters.

4. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Cheers guys.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm on a budget, otherwise I'd probably be owning a Butler Tube Driver and that Empress Multi-Drive :p

so even though you both moved on to bigger and better things, you'd still say the signa was a winner?

p.s - big box? the box seemed about the same size as a Wampler small pedal on the website.

5. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Very good pedal - and very well built! Like PerFusionist said, "Woody and midrangy in a quite pleasant way." That sums it up nicely. Not as nasal as some tubescreamers, but still has some mids. It wasn't what I was looking for, personally, mostly because I wanted something more flat in the mids, but I can say it is a great pedal.
    There is the Super Signa Drive, which is a bigger box, with more eq control etc...
    The regular Signa Drive is about the size of an OCD with just basic gain, level and tone, if I remember correctly.
    What amp are you playing through?

6. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Yeah, It's the regular signa drive I'm looking at. I already own a boss bd2, which is very transparent and lets your natural sound come through almost uncoloured.

I'm looking for something with a different texture, but not as "blocky" as my boss sd1.

I'm playing through a Laney Cub head and stack, which gets me some nice bright 70's amp tones, similar to Hiwatt and and touching on some modern vintage voiced Laneys.

7. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Yeah, I imagine it would offer a good tasty alternative to the BD2, and stack nicely with it as well...

8. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Cheers Southpaw Pete. At $135 plus $9 postage to the UK that works out as a pretty sweet deal. I have to sell my Little Big Muff, Memory Toy and OC2 first though.

9. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I bought one from southpaw pete and I like it alot. A hundred good tones in that box.

10. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Hey Muzzy! Glad you're liking it; it is a great overdrive.

Allanh91, it is definitely great bang for buck on the SignaD - such excellent quality of craftsmanship (and tone). Keep us posted if/when you get one. Of course, if you look around, you may be able to find one used in the emporium here for even cheaper. Good luck selling your other gear to help fund it. :aok

11. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Thanks Southpaw. This is definately the most attractive overdrive I've found in my search. I'll be looking to purchase some time in summer I think. I'll keep tgp posted :p

12. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

I like mine. Great pedal. Signa and a Brownie cover almost everything!

13. gobseulmuhri

gobseulmuhri Member

the signa drive is an amazing pedal. very high build quality and great OD tone. it's not totally transparent like the timmy - the midrange is there but is very pleasant and nicely balanced. definitely does not have the honky midrange of the typical TS's. What I really liked about this pedal is the wide range of gain you can get from it. It's fantastic for low/med gain blues that breakup beautifully to your playing dynamics, and it's equally great for med gain rhythm and leads. highly recommended.

14. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

yep, i still use it
    i use distortion a bit more but when i tone it down i use the signa (on my board)

15. DooGy

DooGy Member

is a great overdrive, i like mine

16. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Silver Supporting Member

Yes....I have both also and you really can get great tones with both.

17. allanh91

allanh91 Member

AWESOME :D

this thread has sold it for me :p. Thanks gents.

18. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

had it for a week. sounded like plastic to me

19. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Any OD pedal will sound like plastic if you plug too many other pedals into it.....what were the other pedals you used with it?

20. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Glenn Delaune said it was his favorite OD at one time. That says a lot coming from someone that's probably played every pedal that's imaginable.