CMATMODS tubeslammer = GGG BSIAB 2???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by what?, Jul 24, 2006.

1. what?

what? Member

I got a cmatmods tubeslammer 2nd hand from someone here and when I got it, there was BSIAB II written on the bottom of the pedal. Opened it up and checked the PCB against BSIAB 2 PCB as in GGG website, exactly the same layout, only some (i.e. one or two) different components??

A friend of mine who just got a CMATMODS buttah also noticed that it's just a GGG bluesbreaker circuit.

?????????????????????????????????????????:jo

2. what?

what? Member

also mine doesnt have IC inside???the CMATMODS website claims it comes with RC4558?

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

4. what?

what? Member

make sense, it's just weird that he change the name from BSIAB II to tubeslammer as if it's his own original design?same with the buttah

PS- link not working

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Well you answered your own question right there. It's not weird at all if you want to look like you actually know how to design a pedal from the ground up, and not just license/clone someone else's design.

It's like shopping at Zara or H&M (clothing stores). Designer knockoffs at cut rate prices. Sure they're not the greatest quality - hmmm why are those shirt sleeves serged (like a t-shirt) instead of frenched? Ah who cares if it falls apart, it'll be out of fashion in a couple of months and I won't want to wear it anyway...

OK that might not be the greatest analogy, since pretty much everyone uses the same aluminum cases and 3PDT switches. But hopefully you get the idea. It's all about selling an image.

(fixed link)

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

The BSIAB II doesn't use an opamp. I checked out the CMATMODS site and the Brownie sound like it could be the pedal that is a BSIAB. I am guessing that the Tube Slammer is a TS clone.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

You can always email Chad directly but he does 'source' his boards to be produced by someone else, although I believe the designs are his own making maybe in cooperation with Monte Allums

8. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

I've played both, and to my ear, they really don't sound much alike. In particular, the Tubeslammer was much more compressed and midrangey than the BSIAB2. I really doubt that the two I played are the same circuit.

9. retro

retro Member

I have a Tube Slammer.

It's an TS808 clone and uses the same board as the B.Y.O.C. Screamer does AFAIK. And does use an RC4558 IC and looks nothing like a BSIAB 2. Mine also has an internal presence control in the circuit with circuit mod for more bass and less mid hump.

I also have a Brownie. Neither the layout of the board, nor the components are like the photo of the BSIAB 2 on the GGG site, as far as I can make out. Are there other photo's other then the one showing the board mounted vertically? Still the resistor and cap count and layout doesn't match with what I can see.

10. rewog

rewog Member

Sounds like you maybe have a "Brownie", not a Tube Slammer.
    Has anyone else got one of these that could check their circuit board ?

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Neither of the Tube Slammers I had sounded like a BSIAB (which is a kickass pedal). Also, if the BluesBreaker is cloned I want some of that! THat is a an excellent pedal!!

12. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

I've got a Brownie. It is based on the BSIAB2, but with a few tweaks. The Kaden Brown Creeper also appears to be based on the BSIAB2.

Regardless, both the Brownie and the Creeper are great pedals!

WD

13. retro

retro Member

Indeed!