CME American Special Jazzmaster

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
looks pretty legit. Who owns one? I'm digging the walnut finish. Anyone else like them?
I just bought the same guitar (limited edition with the same specs) but mine has the Bigsby.....it's stellar. I actually can't believe just how great it is!

CaprioM85

I just bought the same guitar (limited edition with the same specs) but mine has the Bigsby.....it's stellar. I actually can't believe just how great it is!
Awesome to hear! I never used tremolo arms on my guitars that were equipped so the hardtail just makes sense to me. Glad to hear these have some love elsewhere too

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome to hear! I never used tremolo arms on my guitars that were equipped so the hardtail just makes sense to me. Glad to hear these have some love elsewhere too
Anything for me to avoid that original Jazzmaster trem! Haha....it just wasn't ever for me. Enough so that I've avoided playing Jazzmasters almost completely for all the time that I've played guitar. I've spent some time with them early on, but it just wasn't my thing.

This new model with the simple electronics and different bridge options is such a great idea. The guitar plays wonderfully too. All the jangle you could want and a tone control that has the most gradual sweep I've experienced. I actually was playing last night with the tone on 3 and getting a clear, warm sound without mud. Unreal...

CaprioM85

Anything for me to avoid that original Jazzmaster trem! Haha....it just wasn't ever for me. Enough so that I've avoided playing Jazzmasters almost completely for all the time that I've played guitar. I've spent some time with them early on, but it just wasn't my thing.

This new model with the simple electronics and different bridge options is such a great idea. The guitar plays wonderfully too. All the jangle you could want and a tone control that has the most gradual sweep I've experienced. I actually was playing last night with the tone on 3 and getting a clear, warm sound without mud. Unreal...
The Jazzmaster tremolo is exactly what kept me away from them as well. I love the simplicity of the CME models. Apparently there was a sunburst and a black released by Fender in 2014 with the simplicity, but they seem to be pretty scarce. I'm gonna try to grab one of the CME versions, ether a used white one or the current walnut.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting that the trem makes people shy away from them when (IMO) they are the absolute best trem systems out there and what keeps me playing offsets. I actually wish the trem was available on more guitars.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting that the trem makes people shy away from them when (IMO) they are the absolute best trem systems out there and what keeps me playing offsets. I actually wish the trem was available on more guitars.
I feel the same way about the Bigsby Trem....I know know others that feel that the Floyd Rose is the best trem going.

It's actually a pretty cool time for guitar players as classic designs are getting different treatments and that can make a guitar design appeal to us for the first time.

CaprioM85

Iran not that I prefer another ten system, I just vastly prefer hardtail guitars in general. This small difference makes me want the Jazzmaster CME because I need a p90 guitar in my collection.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Iran not that I prefer another ten system, I just vastly prefer hardtail guitars in general. This small difference makes me want the Jazzmaster CME because I need a p90 guitar in my collection.
Don't those CME Jazzmasters come with the the '65 vintage Jazzmaster pickups? If it does, it's worlds away from sounding like a p90....it's all chime and jangle.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Yeah, those are NOT P-90 pickups, they're Jazzmaster pick ups. Not even close. Personally, the only thing I dislike about it IS the finish! My favorite one is the Sherwood green :love:

They have a B stock in walnut for $995...

Last edited:

neils

No, different size. What IS easy is to buy a Jazzmaster size P90
Lollar, Curtis Novak and others do this. Novak has a huge range for Jazzmasters

Neil

Last edited:

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
No, different size. What IS easy is to buy a Jazzmaster size P90
Lollar, Curtis Novak and others do this. Novak has a huge range for Jazzmasters

Neil
All great suggestions. I would also add that for a fraction of the cost you can get some Fender Classic Player pickups on ebay and they are essentially built like P-90's. They are shockingly good if you want a pickup that can do the P-90 rock thing but still get hints of the JM tone.

urizen

Gold Supporting Member
I totally agree----I bought a (very lightly-used) Fender AVRI '62 from Dave's Guitar Shop newly strung with set of 11-56 strings, which was their rec as the lightest gauge to have on a JM (because JMs were designed for heavier gauge strings than one might have on T or S types---gauges starting with 12s or 13s and flat-wound) and they did a great set-up. Right after I placed my order, I ordered a Mastery bridge for it too, figuring that "Of course, the standard trem will be problematic; everyone says so!" The AVRI came before the Mastery arrived----and it handled beautifully and sounded great....it's been over a year now, and the Mastery is still in its box because the standard JM trem STILL handles beautifully and sounds great (and I DO "push" my trem pretty damn hard). The proper gauge and a good set-up is the key to their stability.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I totally agree----I bought a (very lightly-used) Fender AVRI '62 from Dave's Guitar Shop newly strung with set of 11-56 strings, which was their rec as the lightest gauge to have on a JM (because JMs were designed for heavier gauge strings than one might have on T or S types---gauges starting with 12s or 13s and flat-wound) and they did a great set-up. Right after I placed my order, I ordered a Mastery bridge for it too, figuring that "Of course, the standard trem will be problematic; everyone says so!" The AVRI came before the Mastery arrived----and it handled beautifully and sounded great....it's been over a year now, and the Mastery is still in its box because the standard JM trem STILL handles beautifully and sounds great (and I DO "push" my trem pretty damn hard). The proper gauge and a good set-up is the key to their stability.
To be clear, it's not any inherent instability of the trem that I have a problem with, it's feel of the trem in action. I don't much care for the Strat trem either. It's the direct response that I'm not fond of.....the Bigsby has a much gentler warble when pressing on the arm. I love that sound. The closest that I've experienced to the Bigsby is the rare Alamo (by Robin) guitars with the rear mounted trem arm and very soft feel...that was pretty unique.

urizen

Gold Supporting Member
To be clear, it's not any inherent instability of the trem that I have a problem with, it's feel of the trem in action. I don't much care for the Strat trem either. It's the direct response that I'm not fond of.....the Bigsby has a much gentler warble when pressing on the arm. I love that sound. The closest that I've experienced to the Bigsby is the rare Alamo (by Robin) guitars with the rear mounted trem arm and very soft feel...that was pretty unique.
Oddly enough, the JM trem allows me to do the "soft" warble too---and it is another one of its sounds/voices that makes it one of my fave guitars....from Sonic Youth madness to that gentle "wobble" (Verlaine used it in that more modulated and melodic fashion on a number of his recordings).

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Yep, people have done all kinds of things I dig with guitars and trems that just feel like live snakes in my hands when I try to use them to do similar things....I guess it just all comes down to our touch, how we naturally approach it.

I fell in love with my first Jazzmaster this last Saturday. Buying stocking stuffers for my wife and I came home with a new guitar and amp..Yikes!! ;)

I honestly am floored by the sounds I'm getting from this guitar. I could do anything that I play with it and I can already tell that there are sounds in there that I've not experienced yet. Great stuff!

agiehler

The proper gauge and a good set-up is the key to their stability.
I think part of it has to do with your playing style as well, not just setup. I tend to hybrid pick, and my finger plucking will sometimes pop the string out of it's proper saddle position on the traditional style bridge.

Sure .12's will help with that, but then it's much too hard to play for what I prefer. The Mastery is a great alternative to sacrificing playability if you're one of the folks who tends to have issues with the bridge.

Trending Topics