Cmpressor: Tone Press, Diamond or Compnova

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iim7v7im7, May 10, 2008.

1. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I have spent the last few hours reviewing a number of GP threads and Harmony Central reviews and I believe I have narrowed my choices down to these three pedals.

1. Barber Tone Press
    2. Diamond Compressor
    3. T-Rex Compnova
    Some of the post are a year or so old, so maybe there are some newer units that I should consider as well.

I play blues and straightahead jazz. I am a bit torn because while I love the touch sensitivity and dynamics that my rig provides, I am looking for a compressor for two purposes:
    1. To even out volume between strings (due to poor right hand technique on my part) for chordal playing (clean)
    2. To add sustain when using the GSR
    I would like minimal coloration of tone. I would like a true bypass (if possible) to minmize any impact on tone when its not being used. I would like to be able to run it off my PP2. The Barber uses a different connector, right? I have no first hand experience with a compressor other than trying a friend of mines (I believe its a Carl Martin).

Your advise is appreciated!

Bob

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Tone Press is the only one that gives back the front of the notes dynamically,if you want them.The others do not.

3. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

+1 tone press... awesome compressor

4. Improviser

Improviser Member

True. However, musically I don't believe that the Diamond takes away any of the front of the note for this to be an issue. I find that I can leave the Diamond on all the time (for both clean and grindy tones) if I choose on a low-comp setting, and I was unable to do this and get the sounds I wanted with the Tone Press. The Diamond doesn't squish as much as the Tone Press if you're into that, but I keep an Analogman BiComprossor for those tones (AM does the Orange Squeezer and Dyna Comp classic 'squish' tones better than either the Diamond or Tone Press IMHO). Haven't tried the Compnova.

For me the Diamond Compressor is so good I'm tempted to buy a second one, to use on a different setting or for an acoustic setup. :YinYang

Geoff

5. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

It sounds as if the Diamond meets criteria 1 (see above) but does it add to sustain when distorted?

6. DC1

DC1 Member

Tone Press. The one pedal I will not be without. Try one.

DC

7. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I tried the TonePress and it is amazing how transparent it was. If you want compression and don't want to hear it as much, it is a winner.

I could not get it to work for me for funk as easily. I'm looking at the T-Rex and the Diamond right now for that. Not sure if that is an issue for you...

8. tcforec

tcforec Member

If you open up the tone press there is a pot that will dial in some more "traditional" spank. Great pedal.

9. Improviser

Improviser Member

I've not had the opportunity to try a GSR. The Diamond Compressor works extremely well for me to add sustain to the Lovepedal Eternity and Timmy overdrive/dirty tones, and sits nicely after the Analogman Sunface NKT275 as well. The Diamond blends well with these other effects, not just sitting on top of them - absolutely studio-quality in a pedal format.

10. brianf

brianf Member

I have both the Tonepress and Comp Nova. I only use my CompNova. I can't pin point what/Why but it sounds better to my ears and when I record.

brianf

11. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I did not know that... once again, there are hidden adjustments inside. I think what makes a comp great for funk, makes it too noticable for other music styles.. :BOUNCE

12. thewex

thewex Member

tone press fo shizzle. but in fairness i havent tried the other 2...don't feel i need to however. the tone press is often dubbed a "subtle" compression. its da truth!

13. fizbin

fizbin Member

No compressor can correct this. It can only affect the volume of the entire signal and not correct volume differences between the different strings while playing a chord.

14. jayn

jayn Member

What Improviser says...

I use the Diamond to fatten my tone, even things out a bit, and add sing to my OD boxes.

IMO, the Tone Press isn't even close. I've had both. The Diamond is WAY better to *my* ears. I'm curious how many Tome Press owners have tried a Diamond.

OTOH, the Diamond won't squash hard like a typical Ross clone (like a Tone Press, aside from the blend function) or even a Squeezer clone. But, it's so good, it's ruined me for others stompbox comps and I have mine on ~50% of the time at gigs or more.

15. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Hello, this is not my experience. Depends on how compressor/limiter used! If headroom dropped down and threshhold set to hard limit at lowest signal from string, then all strings brought to same level. If there is big difference between string volumes (don't think so from OPs use, but...) then the "effect" is very noticible and may not be a sound OP like (or maybe does! Every sound has beuty even in ugliness).

Yes?

DS

16. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I thought that I had decided on a Tone Press and then I watched the video on the page below from Wampler. If you sign up for his mailing list the price becomes $159.

http://wamplerpedals.com/ego.htm

17. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Have you had a chance to compare the Diamond to the T-Rex?

18. jayn

jayn Member

Nope...I haven't. Seems like it's similar to the Boss CS-2 which is also one of the favorite comps (but, still a ways behind the Diamond).

19. bmoring

bmoring Member

Haven't compared it against the diamond,but the Tone Press sound good to me

20. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

To All,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I have decided to give the Barber Tonepress a try. I like the idea of the blend control. If I understand it correctly, I can dial in my desired sustain and volume and use the "blend" knob to mix the wet and dry signals. This may (hopefully) allow me to retain some touch senistivity by keeping some dry signal and either somewhat even out string levels and or add sustain. It will take experimentation as always.

Thanks,

Bob