• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Coachella 2017

chrisr777

I hate to say it, but this has got to be the weakest lineup in the history of the festival.

A few bands I would want to see, but really not much there. No desire to see two out of the three headliners. Oh well. I do understand that I am not the target market, but I usually have a lot more interest than this.

Reactions: mcp

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I hate to say it, but this has got to be the weakest lineup in the history of the festival.

A few bands I would want to see, but really not much there. No desire to see two out of the three headliners. Oh well. I do understand that I am not the target market, but I usually have a lot more interest than this.
Reading that makes me feel so old and out of it. Except for Radiohead and Beyonce, I haven't even heard of any of those acts. Apparently, I'm not in the target audience either.

Marc Roy

Haven't heard of most of the artists listed on the poster.

I think I'll stick to festivals like Mountain Jam and Lock'n.

JeffK

Gold Supporting Member
Huh, didn't know that Guided By Voices was still a thing...

Yeah, without counting, I think I've heard of ~10 of those acts. Oh well.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
My wife's little sister is definitely the target market and doesn't even like this one.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Reading that makes me feel so old and out of it. Except for Radiohead and Beyonce, I haven't even heard of any of those acts. Apparently, I'm not in the target audience either.
I'm youngish and I haven't heard of most of those acts.

giltgitguy

It's certainly true that we at TGP are not their target demographic. I wonder, too, if there's an element of the fact the Coachella has become such an attraction in unto itself that the musical lineup is not the main draw. It's all about being there, being seen ( in your faux hippy costume ) to a lot of young people , I think.

That being said, I've never gone to a festival where I didn't discover some cool new bands that I'd never heard of before. That's one of the reasons I go.

And the cute hippy girls....

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
How much younger is she? Apparently there are multiple target markets (TGP Tan Pantsers are not among them):

Meet the so-called 'Coachella Cougars': older women spending thousands to look festival ready

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/...oachella-cougars-older-women-spending-thousa/
She's like 23 or 24 I think. Went to school for dance and loves all that EDM flashing light BS.

There are a couple of acts I like on that bill but not in that setting. I'm not a huge festival fan although I used to like them more years ago. It's gotten too out of control now. Even ACLfest, which is like a mile from where I live, is way out of my tolerance level now.

Serious Poo