Coated Strings Confusion

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by david henman, Jul 17, 2006.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...why is it so difficult to get information regarding coated strings?

when they were first introduced, only the wound strings were coated. this makes sense for most players, i'm sure. more power to you:AOK !

however, for players like me who have very acidic/toxic perspiration, the fact that the plain strings were uncoated totally defeated the purpose.

finally, elixir introduced anti-rust strings, which solved the problem for electric guitars, for me.

but there is still incredible confusion when it comes to coated acoustic guitar strings, and i have met absolutely no one in the acoustic guitar department of any music store who has been able to clear up the confusion.

i do know that DR Extra Life Strings are all coated, including the plain strings.

as far as i can tell, those are the only ones available in canada that are fully coated, although i have been told that steve's music in toronto is no longer carrying them.

are there any canadians here who can help me find out where i can purchase fully coated acoustic guitar strings?

-dh

2. Den

Den Member

I'm not sure, but you may find what your looking for by contacting juststrings.com. Good luck.

3. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

sorry bud. I've been blessed with sweat that isn't too acidic. I use snake oil strings that are made for long string life under the worst conditions (by dean in florida, salty air) if you want to give thoes a try. There not coated.

Good luck in your search.

4. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

I work for this company. My dad and I run it. We are pretty small, but my Pops likes to get pretty informative on some of the stuff. He has already done most of the homework for you.

http://www.stringitup.com/polywebcoating.html

There is a company that makes a lot of the coatings out there for other companies, such as DR and GHS (not stating it as fact), but has been suggested by unnamed reps. Bridgeport Wire company. I think it is the same company that makes runs rainbowstrings.com - this is all just what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes the reps we deal with are full of bullcacadoodoo.

5. david henman

david henman Member

...very helpful! thanks, brother!

-dh

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

7. david henman

david henman Member

...yeah, i've heard good things about them but, sadly, they don't have a canadian distributor.

-dh

8. david henman

david henman Member

...i got this response from jim clark:

Hi David,

I know of no other fully coated strings than the ones you mentioned.

My best……Jim Clark/JustStrings.com

(my original email)

...thankfully, elixir now offers electric sets (anti-rust) in which ALL strings are coated, not just the wound strings.
    unfortunately, the only fully coated acoustic strings i have been able to find in canada are DR Extra Life.
    do you know if there are others?
    -david henman
    www.davidhenmanband.com

9. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

sent a reply to your email and it was returned, it didn't like my return address of stringitup@stringitup.com for some reason. I know I know, that looks very malicious!!! just kidding. I'll just send it to your pm on here.

10. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

David,

Most plain strings are tin plated high carbon steel. Tin is actually a corrosion resistant material so applying a cnother coating to it is redundant in a away. Of course some people have a body chemistry that can tarnish tin at a rapid rate so for those players coated plain string are an advantage. I've tried just about every coated sting on the market and to me The D'addario EXp sound the best. This is just my opinion but any time you put material between the windings you are going to dampen the vibration of the string and the first thing to go is the high end frequencies that are crucial for the presence of an acoustic sound.

11. david henman

david henman Member

......please allow me to introduce myself. i have destroyed more guitars than you could imagine. after a few months, all the metal parts just seize up (these days i replace all the screws etc with stainless steel). i can barely get two nights out of a set of strings.

until now! i use the elixir anti-rust on my electrics, and they last so long that i have to make a note on my calendar to have at least a vague idea when i last changed strings. i agree about the loss of tone so, in the studio, i use uncoated strings.

i don't play my acoustics very often, so spending the money on primo strings, only to find them dead the next time i pick up the guitar, makes no sense for me.

-dh

12. BigRed51

BigRed51 Member

Well, I'm not in Canada, but I do know that Black Diamond coats all 6 of the strings on their black coated sets. I have never played them, but have a friend who will use nothing else.

13. david henman

david henman Member

...that sounds like good news! i'll check it out.

-dh