Coated strings

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Steve Gambrell, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Any of you guys ever tried coated strings? I've got 'em on my Martin, now I want to give the electric strings a shot. Especially the Cleartone stringsThe Martin still has a "bite" to 'em, just wondered if their electric strings were that good. Opinions? I'm about 45 miles away from Guitar Center, so it's a problem to "Just go pick up a set." Need a lot of strings, got a lot of guitars, so I need some good strings. HELP!

2. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Coated strings are a blessing for people with hand moisture issues. That being said, uncoated strings sound better to me IMO.
    You can find strings on Amazon or JustStrings.com

3. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

You know how you can hear your fingers sliding down the string especially as your turn the volume up? Well, that sound is not so present with the coated strings. I like them for that reason alone. Other than that, I've heard they last longer but I dunno as I'm not one to change my strings alot and I couldn't point out a "dead" string from brand new--I don't think so anyway. Other than that I simply like the colors.
    Colors are cool.

4. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

I tried some Elixer's (sp) (Acoustic) at my son's recommendation. My findings? They sound fine and do, indeed, last longer. If, however, you keep your acoustic on a stand, those strings attract dust like flypaper.
    I don't think it's a bad concept, but they don't seem to be worth twice as much to me...

5. chervokas

chervokas Member

I haven't tried the Martins but over they years I tried Elixirs on acoustic and electric guitars and mando. In the end I decided I didn't like em at all and in fact hated 'em on electric guitar where I found them tonally bright and shrill and where I found they shed coating on the fingerboard over time.

6. cfo_deebiedaddy

cfo_deebiedaddy Member

I love the Elixirs. Just bought a couple of dozen sets for electric, which should see me through the next decade or so! I also think they're great on my acoustic - I'd stopped enjoying playing it, but they revived it for me.

7. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I was impressed by the sound and feel of the Cleartones and I really did like the Curt Mangan coated strings even more.

My problem is that I don't NEED coated strings, so the added expense doesn't make sense. My strings don't oxidize as a result of my body chemistry and even with coated strings I still only get one gig out of a set.

8. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I personally love Elixir (Nanoweb/Med gauge) Phosphor Bronze, on my well-gigged Martin. I think they sound as good (or similar mix of 'warm yet bright') as the D'Addario PB's I have used for 25-30 years, but have much less string squeak, really do last for weeks or months depending upon use, and hold their tone- a remarkable string, IMO

9. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I love Elixirs on my acoustics... I have them on everything (six string, twelve string, mandolin). The coating stops most of the string squeak when sliding up and down the neck, and keeps the strings brighter longer.

I never got into them on electric, not sure why, but they are a must for me on an acoustic instrument!

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I've come to use and love Elixir nanowebs on acoustic and electric. every time I try ANYTHING else I immediate hate it and put the Elixirs right back on. They have a very smooth playing feel too and I hate sticky/dry feeling strings. I also play at least 10+ full 3-hour sets on a single set, and used to change strings after every 2 shows. Love them

11. s2y

s2y Member

I don't particularly like the feel of them. My sweat is probably average in terms of corrosive to the strings. I have many guitars, so less string changes is worth a lot to me.

12. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I'd use the Elixir Nanowebs on every guitar if they were a bit cheaper. Even with that, for me they are required in the summer on my electrics. On an outdoor gig, my skin chemistry will kill a normal set of strings in less than 1 song. The Elixirs sound good until they break; I've kept a set on my spare Strat for two years of relatively hard weekend gigging before.

The Nanowebs do shred where you pick, but not too bad. They are bright when you first install them, but quickly settle down in brightness to the level they will stay at until they break. They don't break very easy either, but all strings do eventually wear out physically. Also the Nanowebs do not feel all that much different from regular strings. The unwounds do seem to ping a bit more in the nut than regular strings, but this is not usually too much of a problem.

I love 'em and can't get by without them.

13. tholmes

tholmes Member

I won't use them. Don't like the way they sound (half-dead right out of the package) or feel (too slippery). If you have killer mutant acid hands from hell, they'll probably last longer though.

Tom

14. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Your experience with coated strings sounds to me to be based on Elixers and some older coated technology. There are a several coated strings that don't feel odd or sound dead at this point. :)

15. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I like 'em on my acoustics.

16. chervokas

chervokas Member

Yeah, I don't think the Nanowebs sound dead at all. In fact I think they sound unpleasantly shrill and bright. I don't like 'em for the opposite reason.

17. DV52

DV52 Member

I used the Elixers for a few years.I liked em enough to use them for that long as they last.But I will say that they do not retain thier bright tone for long.

18. Crazywisdom

Crazywisdom Member

I suffer from extremely corrosive and excessive hand sweat. A couple of hours on my strat and a brand new set of string is dead. I finally got around to trying the nanoweb elixirs, and while I don't really like them tonewise compared to d'addarios, the fact that they do last longer makes using them a budgetary neccesity. However, I have found that they don't stay in tune so well, particularly the G, and D strings. ( I am currently on my second set) Has anyone else had this problem? Or is this another trade-off...

19. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Interesting. I've been using Elixir nanowebs for 4+ years and for the most part I've had great luck with them in terms of tone, tuning and how long they can (& do) last. My experience with them has been the opposite when it comes to how well they stay in tune.

I will say I got a 3 pack about 8 months ago that gave me a noticeable amount of trouble in that they didn't want to stay in tune and I broke a string from each set much earlier than it might typically occur. Sets I've used since then have been fine. YMMV

20. suckamc

suckamc Member

You're one of the few not listening with their eyes.

Fwiw, I happen to like their clarity. But, as you said, they are absolutely not dead or dark sounding. That's what people EXPECT them to sound like so that's what they hear.