Coating/coatted strings choice?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by racermann_yang, Mar 1, 2012.

1. racermann_yang

racermann_yang Member

As you know Elixir has stopped making their Anti-Rust plain strings.
    What kind of coating/coatted strings will you choose?
    How about Ernie Ball's ?

2. fumbler

fumbler Member

Where did you hear that? There's nothing about it on their website (www.elixirstrings.com) and their online catalog still has them and says "effective Jan 1, 2012"

Anyway, I like the D'Addario EXP strings but I do use elixir cables. They claim "the lowest capacitance of any guitar cable".

3. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

So, if you use coated electric strings, won't that mess up the string grounding connection?

4. racermann_yang

racermann_yang Member

It's just the Anti-Rust plain strings were replaced with Original Plain Strings.
    http://www.elixirstrings.com/productionrestart-part2/index.html

Maybe I'd try EXP sometime.BTW, how about EXP's sound? In fact I'm looking for a bright sound from 3rd-6th strings and a mellow sound from 1st-2nd strings. Like Chuck Loeb sound. Any one konws that what strings is he using?

5. fumbler

fumbler Member

Yeah, that occurred to me years ago but I tried them anyway. It doesn't seem to cause a problem. Maybe it's thin enough for a current to get though.

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I tried coated strings once, and the acid in my body oils ate the coating off in no time.
    I use D'Addario strings, and they seem to last me forever so I never really had a need for coated strings.
    But when I tried Elixers I did like the tone of them, they had a unique tone, kinda bright without being shrill sounding.

7. fumbler

fumbler Member

Oh, so it's just a temporary supply-line problem. You should have mentioned that in the OP, dude!

The EXP's are actually my coated string of choice. I think the wound strings sound brighter than elixirs and are better balanced with the plain strings. Read their sales pitch here.

But I also wanna try the Ernie Ball Cobalts.

8. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I recommend Cleartone strings. They last forever, don't flake, and aren't too bright going on.

9. landru64

landru64 Member

there are a couple of brands that are conductive, but most don't. i believe roger sadowsky is penning an article in an upcoming bass gear magazine about this