Coaxial Cable: Same As TV Cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikespe, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mikespe

mikespe Member

I was just curious if the coaxial cable used by the cable company is the same as coaxial instrument cable? I saw coaxial cable at Lowes that was shielded for like $0.50 per foot. If it will work I may try it when I redo my pedal board.

Thanks!

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

75ohm cable isn't instrument cable, is that what you're thinking?

3. Franktone

Franktone Member

Do not use TV cable. It doesn't have the quality that you need:
    - It is not flexible enough
    - the central single conductor may crack and fail after being flexed many times
    - the shielding is typically of low quality, good enough for TV but not such great braiding for properly shielding the signal from a guitar
    - the shielding material may not be solderable
    - TV cable is inherintly cheap because huge lengths are used, and the price must be kept down, and yet work for TV's
    It might be better than using a speaker cord in a pinch, but stick with the highest quality per dollar ratio that you can afford
    I remember me using some radio transmitter grade co-ax back in 1970 with my Les Paul. It took a few days for me to realize the loss in High frequencies and an increase in muddiness. It was a big lesson for me.

4. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I tried using some very high quality coax for a patch cable once...
    it was data stuff, not for TV.
    It didn't sound bad..the problem is that the shielding is aluminum
    and cannot be soldered.
    And for as cheap as Lava ELC bulk is...
    why not go that route?

5. mikespe

mikespe Member

Thanks guys...I figured it was too good to be true and too easy of a solution. I'll Probably got with the Bill Lawrence cable...